R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #1531
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

thanks for the drop info guys. i was getting worried because i see all these videos of truggy's flying through the air off massive jumps in races and they keep trucking. i drop mine from waist high and the chassis will bottom out, but at two feet or less i'm good.
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #1532
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Don't worry bout it. 1/8 scale vehicles can take it.

I've seen vids of buggies and truggies launched over houses, land on the driveway and keep on going. I'm not saying they can do that all day long. So for normal use, they will last a long time as far as air time is concerned.

If race directors designed tracks that broke vehicles, the racers would probably not come back. They do push the envelope a lot though.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
air8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #1533
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
thanks for the drop info guys. i was getting worried because i see all these videos of truggy's flying through the air off massive jumps in races and they keep trucking. i drop mine from waist high and the chassis will bottom out, but at two feet or less i'm good.
when you are droping the car stright down all the force is down. when you are landing from a jump it is also moving foward so it will not hit as hard. Not saying that the chassis will not bottom out, but it will not be like what you are having from droping it.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #1534
Tech Adept

I have a brushless 8ight-T. Our local track has a quad that sends my truggy about 10-12 feet in the air. (and I mean 10-12 feet high) I have hit hard enough to grind some gears in the drive chain, however have yet to break anything from impact. The bottom of the chassis can get a little scuffed up this way, but they even sale skid plates for that if you are concerned. I don't know if this helps, but here is a shot of our quad.
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #1535
Tech Champion

I've been wanting to race this track in Tulsa ever since I saw the pics on TORC a few months back. It looks too awesome.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #1536
Tech Champion

After the last two races the center HD diff has leaked lots of fluid. First weekend was 75% gone, second weekend 50% gone. What, if anything, have you guys done to correct this? Is there such a thing as over-tightening the diff screws? I'm thinking about sanding the edges of the diff cup with 600grit on a flat surface to see if that helps. I've put a new, wet gasket on at each tear down. So I'm unsure why there is so much fluid leaking.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 08-09-2008, 06:57 AM   #1537
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
After the last two races the center HD diff has leaked lots of fluid. First weekend was 75% gone, second weekend 50% gone. What, if anything, have you guys done to correct this? Is there such a thing as over-tightening the diff screws? I'm thinking about sanding the edges of the diff cup with 600grit on a flat surface to see if that helps. I've put a new, wet gasket on at each tear down. So I'm unsure why there is so much fluid leaking.

where are u getting the leaking ? the seam between the ring gear and case ? the screw's ? outdrives?
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #1538
Tech Champion

Oh my bad. Leaking between the ring gear and diff case. The diff only leaks under load. The truck can sit for two weeks and never leak a drop. But as soon as I'm done with one qualifier, there is a pile of dirty fluid building under the diff.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 08-09-2008, 12:32 PM   #1539
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

sounds like maybe the diff case is toast. There might be a chance that the holes the screws go into are worn, and under load it causes the seal to split apart. I would try another diff housing first
Old 08-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #1540
Tech Lord

Send a message via MSN to Integra

Quote:
Originally Posted by air8 View Post
Oh my bad. Leaking between the ring gear and diff case. The diff only leaks under load. The truck can sit for two weeks and never leak a drop. But as soon as I'm done with one qualifier, there is a pile of dirty fluid building under the diff.

on ALL my center diff's i do lately i use some racer's edge carb sealant around the cup and gear....if its the center i apply it after assembly and for the F+R i ushally put a super thin bead on the cup itself before assemble....i have noticed when i first built em they leaked like crazy...but since doing this they seem to hold the oil pretty good....this is also an issue with the Mugen's and same there...i just seal it up and forget about it......and when servicing the diff all u need is a Finger nail to remove the old silicone.......a quick fix at the track tho.....I dunno....i never ever mess with my diffs AT the track...always at home on a clean bench will ALL the tools....too anal to do it at the track.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #1541
Tech Champion

I'll have to try the sealant. I haven't messed with my diffs at the track either. Just like you said, at home on a paper towel with all the tools near by.

--"U Ain't Fast!!"
Chris Pearce
Old 08-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #1542
Tech Adept

I have heard of some guys doubling up on the seals too. Not sure that will work, but it might be worth a try. Otherwise I would replace the diff case. Amain sells the HD versions for pretty cheap.
Larks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #1543
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

A new forum opened up, check it out at www.losiforum.com

Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 AM   #1544
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to jrr102486 Send a message via Yahoo to jrr102486

what is everyone running for an engine? im looking for something with a good amount of power and better fuel economy than an axial 28 1s spec that i have now.

any help appreciated!

josh
Old 08-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #1545
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

os .21 vzb v-spec.