R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 11-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #151
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
i havent personally drove the car , truhe was driving , i was testing / tuning it with my plus 21-5 and the 9901 made good smooth power with no real powerband effect (which i like) like the 86 pipes . it was smooth which might go better with the standard tri-angle crank design of the p5 and such engines , not too good for the full face plus cranks in my opinion . as far as the 2052 , i havent tried or tested one . sorry man .my favorite pipe of all time is the RScompetition efra-rs2032 if you can still find one buy one , it is a badass pipe and killer in the buggy with square header and in a truggy with a round(jammin style) header !!! i would buy 4 or 5 if i could find em .
later ,
Monty
thanks monty much appreciated

Adrian
RETRO RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #152
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Nitro$junkie

IMO the best pipe around is the MSR1005
Byron's
http://www.hospitalrecords.com
Nitro$junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #153
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

what makes you think it is the best junkie ?? have you tried 2 dozen or more pipe/header combos to come to your conclusion ?? how do you think the pipe feels specifically ? i wanna know how the mugen pipes feel
later , monty
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM   #154
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the 1005 gives very good peak numbers on alot of motors...but it does sap alot of the powerband in order to do so........On most motors a 0853 and 9886 seem to have the best overall power and powerband...... Of course every motor will have preference for long,medium or short headers........... Adam from AB Mods has been dyno testing alot of pipes on alot of motors, I will ask him for some more info on which mills the 1005 works and doesnt work... So far on alot of motors the 1005 is very peaky ( which would explain why it feels so wild) usualy on a 21 the 1005 kills the low end, but delivers a big surge of power inthe midrange and upper midrange..then after it peaks it tends to drop off faster then a 086 style of pipe..though the 1005 tends to usualy peak at a slightly higher RPM....
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #155
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've tried the 1005 mugen pipe and it sucked ! no bottom and wicked bad fuel economy . I was lucky to get 5 minutes a tank . I switched to a 2011 Mugen pipe and it was love !! This pipe works SO well with the 7 and 8 port Novas it is not even funny. On the 5 and less, ported Novas I like the 053 Rex pipe with the medium long header. Short tight track go with the longest header. But don't go with a short header or you will get terrible milage because you need to richen the bottom up so much for any punch .
I have found that all the JP pipes seem to work the best on Picco engines .
And OS pipes on OS engines ,only the rare few oddball engines out there like the Werks units run on JP pipes well too, but even that is debatable, as I have not run one for any length of time YET......
mremtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

In the latest Xtreme RC Car mag they tested the Novarossi 21 plus 5k in the Losi 8 Truggy . They went on to say that it produced awsome grunt but upon refuel it kept flaming out.
Seems to me that this motor does have a problem with Flame outs.
Is this a simple fix with a hotter plug.???
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:08 AM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRacer View Post
Seems to me that this motor does have a problem with Flame outs.
Is this a simple fix with a hotter plug.???
Fixed my problems.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:12 AM   #158
Tech Prophet

its the losi fuel tank !!! serious
TEAM FUSION X ENGINES / TEAM BYRON ORIGINALS / TEAM PROLINE RACING TIRES / TEAM SICK GRAPHICS /TEAM KYOSHO / things I support: COMP HEAT DEALER /TEAM LUNSFORD/ FUSIONX™ USA / TEAM KYOSHO / "H.E.S."™ / BYRON FUELS / RC-OMGUSA/KICWEBDESIGNZ/AKA TIRES/PROLINE RACING TIRES /RAYA RACING/BUKU POWER CLUTCH/M2CRACING/special thanks to STAV and JIM HOTTIGREENMOUNTAINGRILLS.COM
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #159
Nik
Tech Regular

Ok guys, I need some help.

I have a 21-5k, and its a rocket, but I just cant find the right gloplug. Ive tried mccoys, OS, Novarossi 5's and 6's...its getting kinda ridiculous. I just cant find the right one. Mabey its my tuning? It makes good power at 220-270* but I just know theres more...

It doesn't flame out.

I run 30% odonnells with stock shimming, 7.5mm insert and a jp3 if that helps. Track is HotRod hobbies, short and technical
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:20 AM   #160
Tech Rookie

Default Plus 21 5K

I am using McCoy 8 with a JP-4 and Nitrotane 30%. The reason for the McCoy 8 is that I couldn't find any Odonnell 99, and the local hobby person told me that the performance and durability was the same, and that OD cost a lot more. I tried the McC, and I got good results.

You might want to consider tunning by going in on the LSN all the way in until it starts to choke, then back out an hour or two, the HSN out until it is too fat, then back in an hour of two. By tunning this way I run around 230 with awesome power.

BTW, this only works with the Novarossi engines. Don't try this with other engines.
castror7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #161
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Ok guys, I need some help.

I have a 21-5k, and its a rocket, but I just cant find the right gloplug. Ive tried mccoys, OS, Novarossi 5's and 6's...its getting kinda ridiculous. I just cant find the right one. Mabey its my tuning? It makes good power at 220-270* but I just know theres more...

It doesn't flame out.

I run 30% odonnells with stock shimming, 7.5mm insert and a jp3 if that helps. Track is HotRod hobbies, short and technical
where are you missing the power ? in the bottom , top , the whole powerband? if you have the same issue and you have tried every glopug , its not your glowplug bro !!!! find somebody at the track , i know there are quite a few experienced nitro guys at hotrod !!!! ask them if they have a minute to try and figure out why you dont have the power you think you should have out of your engine . kinda sounds to me like you might have the wrong clutch / pipe and mistuned !!! three major power robbers !!! and how can it be a rocket and not have enough power all at the same time ???? post what car / clutch and all that and you will get more advice from myself or others .
later ,
monty
Old 12-02-2007, 04:28 PM   #162
Nik
Tech Regular

its in an 8ight with the stock losi clutch and 4 kingheadz 7075 shoes with 2 gold/ 2 silver springs.

Its feels like its missing in bottom end. Been trying to dial in the low speed. when started it wants to idle fast, so I figured it was too lean, but after its warmed up, it will run like its rich, and wants to load up.

just wanted a general plug recommendation get me stared.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:25 PM   #163
Tech Prophet

hey nik i'll give you a tip bro (not saying that you are) dont tune your engine at all until it is up to operating temp !!!! as far as plugs go , ihave three favorites in standard plugs ; mccoy mc8 , odonnell 77 and nova 6 . turbo plugs either a novarossi 6t or an odonnell 77t , dont use os , pico or any other brand of plug in nova engines !! different taper in plug seat !! mugens might work but never tried them yet , plus they are high $$$$$$
later , monty

if all else fails , maybe jimmy can help ya , i think he knows a few things about racing !!
oh and by the way that was a great clutch setup for me when i tried the losi buggy for a few gallons , try a robinson clutch bell , smooths the engagement and lasts a lil longer and always use a 14t bell unless it is a really short track then try a 13t bell .
Old 12-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #164
Nik
Tech Regular

yup, never tune a cold engine....

Jimmy's not really a nitro guy. But i'm sure Tim could help me out. everybody up at the shop is very nice.

what do you think about the o'donnell 99, or is that to cold for your preference?

I might also get a novarossi 9901 later on..

anyways, thanks.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:54 PM   #165
Tech Prophet

i dont like the way they work !! and yes they are a lil cold for my preference . if you are good at tuning , buy a new turbo button for that engine part #28011 and try it !! muey bueno !!!!
later , monty