R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default thunder tiger s3 buggy

hi all:looks like thunder tiger has or will soon be including some new cool hopup parts with their s3 buggy kit.one item will be a new flat chassis in witch i want to know what makes this one an improvement over the stock chassis.thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:37 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The stock chassis has very little to no flex. The flat chassis has more.
associatedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:11 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to better

mud and dirt can be a pain with that stock setup ( build up of dirt in places hard to get at making the car gain wieght )
better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
Tech Adept

This S3 being My 1st 1/8 scale deffinatley is solid!
Coming from M/T to it I did some terrible pile drives that took shovel size divit's out of a blue groove track!
I asked around Team Thunder Tiger, at the Winter Nat's about 7 of 9 buggys had gone to the flat chassis,
to get some flex to extend tuning.

I scored a KingzHeadz ctr brace as apparentley it will make the tunnel solid!
Too solid,,Someone suggested that I run the ctr brace screws loose to see the Improvement
MRS4 Exo2 280/300 Spy
Bunch of o'l T-Maxx junkers
straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Thumbs up Flat chassis

Does anyone know if you can buy the chassis alone. Its a great buggy but find it hard to dial in on loose surface..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:01 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Great Hobbies in Edm, Cnd.
They had three last yr sold 2 was going to send this one back.
Maybe I,,,should get it??
Probabley get it on line also.
Lot's of guys all accross Cnd have switched.
MRS4 Exo2 280/300 Spy
Bunch of o'l T-Maxx junkers
straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

You want to make sure you buy the flat chassis conversion kit and not just the chassis. It will come with chassis braces and a new rear driveshaft as well as the chassis.

MadRacer - I have my car working pretty well with the stock chassis on loose dirt. What is your current setup?
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:55 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

there has been the non-thunder tiger made conversion available for a while, i think its made by titan tech? not sure if thats the right name or not, these new ones are made by thunder tiger, and they are jsut coming available, only a few team guys have them,
bobf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Titan Tech is correct. However, I read on SGrid that Raul, the owner of TT, is having a hard time finding the correct material for his chassis, so it will take more time before they become available again. As for the TTR flat chassis, it is suposed to be avilable soon...but no one seems to have a definitive answer as to when. Also, while I ahve read that the TTR distibutor in Brazil has come out with an S3 based kit, with flat chassis and a few other options, I havn't heard anything of TTR releasing a new kit.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

the only things i know of are the conversion kit ( flat chassis ) and that there is word of a new s3 combo kit ( ie rtr ) on the cards
niggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

There are supposed to be two different flat chassis conversions released by TTR. One is the same geometry as the box chassis. The other is longer wheelbase like the original flat chassis by Titan Tech. I believe Titan Tech is not going to be making more chassis. At least that is what I read into the comments on sgrid.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:31 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Default box chassis set up

Hi Windellmc,
The set up i have is pretty close to standard . Outside on the rear shock tower on the top holes. Outside on the arms F&r 30 w oil r &35 front max droop short wheel base, caber link on the lowest on rear tower, hubs down on the rear arms. Just drilled a lower hole in the shock tower to lower the roll ceter haven't tested yet. Panther Komodo 2 i have found them to be slightly better than cime fighter. 3 d rear toe in and 3d rear anti squat . Standard sway bars and red springs. have tried blue springs .
Its a hard packed surface (clay) bumpy and loomy with jumps right out of the corners. thanks MARK

Old 03-21-2006, 12:52 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

I'm working on something with the standard shock pistons. For now get a set of ST-1 pistons and drill them out to 1/16". 1.5 mm will be close. Run 40wt oil front and rear with these new pistons. You can also use Mugen or Xray 1.5mm pistons if they are easier to get. The stock pistons have too much pack especially with the box chassis.

I would then run outside hole in the front arms and middle lower set of holes in the front tower. We are also taking the S2 CVA dogbones and using them with S3 front axles to allow the front end to be made narrower. I am also using the thin sway bar (silver I think) in the rear. 5k,5k,3k for diff oils (f,c,r). I ran no front sway bar outdoors but I need to test more before deciding on that for sure. I run the silver front when I run it. I run 3 degrees of toe-in in rear but 2 degrees anti-squat. Also play around with the front toe from -1 to 0 to +1. See what you like after making the other changes.

Rear shocks in the inside hole in the arms and lower set of holes in tower. I'm not sure which hole in the lower set. I think it is all the way inside. I run the camber link up and all the way out on the hub. I am also running the Advantage carbon shock towers which include a couple of camber link holes further inside than stock. I like the new upper hole for outdoor tracks. I also run the bottom hinge pin hole in the hub and try one shim in front of the rear hub and the rest behind the rear hub. I run droop just limited enough to protect the shock caps. I have tried Xray light blue and TTR red springs. The Xrays let you run a slight bit lower ride height but for outdoors the TTR reds should be fine.

Also try the 48t spur gear on rough tracks with 13t clutch. It should help the car get up on top of the bumps quicker. You will lose a little top end depending on the engine. It will also help with those jumps out of the corners. The ST-1 shock caps make the shocks a lot easier to bleed also. I am running the lightweight TTR pillowballs which I think are a little smoother in the hubs. If you run the stock ones make sure they stay clean or they will bind up a little bit.

I am running the S2 steering mod also although I'm not sure if that will help you or not. It is supposed to give more steering. I ran my car at our outdoor track a month ago. It is still winter here, but we had a warm day. The track was very rough and dusty due to winter but the car was surprisingly good for the first time out. I had been running the Kyosho SP2 since July. The TTR box chassis seems to absorb big hits better. It will not be good on the small bumps until you change out the shock pistons.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Thanks, very interesting about the shock pistons is the st1 the monster truck pistons?? Will write down what you said. My shock caps are streched all 4 is this because i run too much droop ? Does Mugen or X Ray pistons fit straight in and what nu you think?? I have already gone up in the spur gear made a lot of differance in punch . Thank you for your help mark

Old 03-22-2006, 06:17 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The mugen pistons are a direct drop in. I run 1.4's with 60wt up front and 40wt rear. I also run the xray light blue springs. Ride height on this car is a big deal, a small change will drastically change the car. If anyone is looking for a flat chassis call ACE hobbies or check out their website. DK
Dustinkeys is offline   Reply With Quote