R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road

Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

The ST-1 pistons are a standard type piston design that were released in the ST-1 truck. The locknut locks into the top of them, but they are otherwise a standard piston. They look a little like the top of a mushroom. They are very reasonably priced too. Xray and Mugen pistons are supposed to fit. That was what everyone ran before the ST1 pistons came out.

To protect the shock caps on all 1/8 buggies I recommend setting the maximum droop at a point where the shocks are just slightly compressed. This may even improve handling too. The ST-1 shock caps have a bleed hole drilled higher than the S3 so the oil comes out easier without distorting the bladder. They may have more room behind the bladder too.

I tried the 1.4mm holes and 40wt oil and found the car way too stiff. That was in cold weather, but I know that Saxton is running 1/16" holes in the ST-1 or Mugen pistons and 40wt Associated oil front and rear.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #17
Tech Adept

windellmc:
great to know your making some mods to the pistons. I'm very new at these. Perhaps you can explain or elaborate more on the differences between the standard piston and a 1/16" or a 1.5mm pistons. Are there any differences if to do this on a buggy? What's the effect and how can this improves the shocks. Does making a bigger hole will need a higher velocity oil?.. etc. Appreciate the helps!!

Peace!
nordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 12:31 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

The weather here has just this week gotten good enough to run outdoors. I have not been able to test the shock yet because of this. I basically filled the holes in the stock pistons and drilled new holes at 1/16". The stock holes must have been 1.7mm. I also cut away most of the top ring of the piston to get unobstructed flow to the new main piston holes. I left material where the balls go so I could still use them. I did not modify the small holes where the balls go yet. I did run the shocks on a high traction indoor track and they felt a little soft on compression. That tells me the balls may not seal very well on compression.

The car did feel a lot lighter though. I will know more when I can run them outdoors on a rough track. I may take my other set of pistons and try 1.4 or 1.5mm holes to get a little more pack. I will also try the 1/16" hole pistons with heavier oil. My first test was with 40wt oil.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:53 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

Does anyone know of a LHS that has the long flat chassie conversion kit forthe TTR S-3? All of the ones I have checked either say that they are not available or not in production. I am about ready to give up on this fine car and sell it for a few pennies and go kyosho. Any help would be a great help. Thanks All
Old 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Thunder Tiger should have their flat chassis conversion available shortly...
CEFX
A_Stratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:40 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

TTR is supposed to be releasing both standard wheelbase and extended wheelbase flat chassis conversion kits. They should be available anytime.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:54 PM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi WINDELLMC

Can you tell me why are you playing with the stock pistons or st1 when you said that Mugen ones go straight in, Is it beacuse they they don't have the rebound balls . Is the car better with the St1 pistons? I have had someone ask me if i want to buy his Titian tech chassis. Are they ok, it was a team driver chassis If i get a ttr conversion Which one do think??
Thanks for your help nice to be able to talk to people about this buggy is not popular in Australia Mark DE Bono

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

I am trying to see if I can get the stock S3 pistons with the little balls to work the way they are supposed to. For now I have not, but I have not been able to test much due to some persistent winter weather.

I recommend the ST-1 pistons over the Mugens because they are cheaper and possibly better.

The Titan Tech chassis is very heavy. This may be the reason for its superior performance. It is quite stiff also by far the stiffest flat 1/8 chassis I have ever felt. I suspect the TTR flat chassis will be lighter as it is supposed to be 4mm thick. As long as you get the Titan Tech chassis for a good price (and it is in good shape) I would say to try it. Saxton told me that the car handled the same with the Titan Tech or the TTR flat chassis.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi Windellmc, He wants $45 us for it and has no braces. i can get one here in Aus for just a little more new bur which one std or long?? Have orderedthe st1 pistons will have them next week. Thanks mark...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtmCddStNyM

QLD State Titles winner in 6S EB CAT
MadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #25
Tech Adept

Great to see Racers share some Info on this car.
It's my 1st 1/8 scale and it realy brings it, put's it and Smack's it Down!!
Same as Dustinkeys,
I found a slight change in ride height or droop realy changes handling with the box chassis.
Still got @ 1ft of snow here,,,,,,,,can you smell the Nitro??
MRS4 Exo2 280/300 Spy
Bunch of o'l T-Maxx junkers
straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Stray Dog, this car is still very popular in Calgary. We have people that are willing to drive the car and play with it to find our different set up's. We have found some stuff that will work great and some stuff that doesn't. If you give me a little bit, and you want it, I can put together a decent starting set up. It's slightly different than what I used in Edmonton last year.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #27
Tech Fanatic

MadRacer - If it were me I would want the braces. The conversion I got was missing a couple of parts that the previous owner had pirated for his car. I found out that Kyosho chassis brace standoffs would work on the front chassis brace. The rear I don't know about.

Is the TTR version available in Australia yet? We still cannot get it in the USA. I think if I were you I would go for that because it should not be too expensive and you will get new parts that way. It is supposed to come with a new servo saver top plate and center diff top plate too.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #28
Tech Master

Just waiting to get mine on the bench to build it. I plan a few things right off the build to give it a tuners edge. After reading this bit I have a few areas to start with.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:43 PM   #29
Tech Adept

Scottmisfits, Thanks for the info offer,
I'll have to check mine and see what it was I changed,?!
At Red Deer I uh? added droop,more rear camber,less toe,heavier diff oils.
Made it to the ''G-Main'' and still Broke nuthing ,ssssshh!!
MRS4 Exo2 280/300 Spy
Bunch of o'l T-Maxx junkers
straydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

what are you running in your diff's? I'm running 5,7,3 and am very happy with it. I might go to 2 in the rear just to try it.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote