Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
New to racing, need some guidance>>> >

New to racing, need some guidance>>>

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to racing, need some guidance>>>

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to racing, need some guidance>>>

I am absolutely new to the racing scene and would like some guidance. I currently have a nitro Savage that I am building up, but I think that I'm the only one in the region that likes these sort of trucks based on the hatred and animosity towards them. Anywho, I'm looking for anyone out there that does anything with savages. But thats only one question.
My other is I am looking towards buying a race car, electric if at all possible, and I would like to know what it needs to have (or not have) to be able to enter into races. I am not partial on brand. I have money, so if anyone has anything rtr that can be modified to win races, I'm game for that too. PM me or let me know through the forum, thanks!
Old 02-26-2014, 01:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Do you want 4wd or 2wd? Short course, buggy or stadium truck? 1/10 scale or 1/8 scale?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Mr. Savage: You are in an area where there are a LOT of very helpful folks around who will work with you to help you have the best racing experience possible. There are folks in that area who are nationally ranked drivers and there is a GREAT club racing foundation with personable folks that are beyond willing to help newcomers.

What part of the State are you in???

Off road or on road your preference???

and of course the questions that Mr. Egobrkr asked will help to direct you toward further one on one help.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Jason,

best bet is to start out visiting the track and watching some racing.

This allows you to decide what fits you the best.

for the next few days there is a big indoor event that will let you see how the carpet guys roll. They have wicked fast cars and the best drivers will be at the Plex this weekend.

then get lined up to watch the next outdoor event. Pick a class and we have a starter class that you can start out in and get your bearings on what is what and how the program rolls.

Chris said it best. TONS of guys that will help you out key is to ask.

RCtech is a great start, someone can title the FB pages we have also so you can like them and follow the activity.

PV
Old 02-26-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I have a group of savage guys thatare interested in running lowered savages on the oval possibly this year go to nescar on facebook and check it out
Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My suggestion would be to get into a 2wd stock class. In my opinon running a slower vehicle to begin will help you get some skill sets down before putting too much power in a vehicle and not being able to control it. Getting a 2wd Short Course would be my first reccomendation and run a 17.5 stock motor in it. Once you get that down and feel you can handle more speed, bump up to Pro2 and put an 8.5 or 10.5 motor in.
I run a TLR 22-SCT in pro2 and occasionally put a stock motor in for different events. The 22-SCT is a good durable truck and handles great when you put the 2.0 upgrades into it (about $60 for the important upgrades.) Alot of people do well with the Associated SC10, personally never been a big fan of Associated. I do have a Losi XXX-SCB (Short Course Buggy) that is ARTR for Sale. You would just need radio system and a servo. It has a 17.5 motor in. Only problem with this class is there are not a whole lot of people racing them anymore, ususally 3-5 on Tuesday and Friday nights. Its setup very well, as i won the Summer Series with this vehicle. Anyway let me know if your interested and hope this info helps aid your decision.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you've got money, then I would invite you to jump right in with a brand new 1:8 electric truggy! The pinnacle of electric RC performance, the truggy has never seen a pipe it didn't like or a 10th scale vehicle it couldn't crush in practice. You're sure to appreciate the monster jamming capability of 4 ATV sized tires on a surface that puts the Grand Canyon to shame. For added enjoyment, a 6 cell battery and a 2600kV motor will let everyone know you're serious about leaving your mark on the west HobbyPlex garage door.

Ok, in all seriousness, Don is right. A 2wd 10th scale vehicle with a stock motor is the best way to start out. They're relatively cheap, and they teach you the proper driving techniques before you move onto bigger and faster vehicles.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Derek_Wood
If you've got money, then I would invite you to jump right in with a brand new 1:8 electric truggy! The pinnacle of electric RC performance, the truggy has never seen a pipe it didn't like or a 10th scale vehicle it couldn't crush in practice. You're sure to appreciate the monster jamming capability of 4 ATV sized tires on a surface that puts the Grand Canyon to shame. For added enjoyment, a 6 cell battery and a 2600kV motor will let everyone know you're serious about leaving your mark on the west HobbyPlex garage
Lol. That's some funny stuff.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks guys>>>

That's some good informative stuff. Would you suggest ebay or something like that for getting something to start off with? I was thinking about building from scratch a fully carbon fiber Savage for racing only and putting a big electric motor in it. What I got now that I am building up is a Savage XL with just about every part on it customized for bashing only. I got mostly everything, just gotta get some servos and have the engine customized by ERCM. The motor is a bone-stock Picco .28 and will likely have an ERCM pipe attached. It will also have 4WS. I guess I could race that, it's set up for speed as well as durability, is there any races this could be placed into? Thanks for all the great help guys!