Pro4 or plexspec for me.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Pro4 or plexspec for me.

Ok with the Sunday Off road coming I am going to be finally able to make it out to race. I will be racing a Slash 4x4 with a Ballistic 4.5t which is a 5000kv motor. I haven't really raced in 10+ years. So should I start off in Pro4 or should i start off in plexspec since its been so long. Now if i start in plexspec will i be able to run the 4.5 or am i going to need to get a 5.5 stator for the motor? My wife will be joining in the racing as well with either a Slash 2wd or a Stock truck. But she has only raced on our parking lot so she will go into plexspec for sure.

Also what tires work good at the plex, right now i have proline trenchers on beadlocks in the sc size for my 4x4 and for my wifes 2wd Slash I have the dynamite SpeedTreads Konekt SC set and oem tires.

The 2wd slash will have either a 13.5ss motor or a 10.5 ballistic motor.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Tech Adept

If you haven't ran yet ,plexspec is a good place to start. You would be surprised at the level of competition from some of the top plexspec racers. I think they have a 4600kv(?) Limit in plex, but they might let you run it. I have been running plex for quite a while and have had tons of fun learning to drive at a cheaper entry fee than the other classes. That being said, if you have some practice under your belt and you are confident as a driver you might be better off running pro 4. Plex at times can be pretty dirty racing and if you are driving at a higher level it will be frustrating. I have finally managed to place in my last 2 plex races and will be moving to a different class. If you drive well with a awd truck you should readily beat most of the plex spec class and will get booted pretty quickly anyway
Old 09-03-2012, 06:27 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'd enter Plex Spec to begin with. After your 1st qualifier, if you appear to be driving very well, more than likely the Race Director will bump you up to Pro-4. I wouldn't be concerned about your motor. We do have a motor limit, but let the Director know when you sign up just to be up front. High powered motors are usually a detriment in Plex Spec, not an advantage.

Most 4x4s are currently running AKA Gridirons.

Did you get your MMP working better?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
I'd enter Plex Spec to begin with. After your 1st qualifier, if you appear to be driving very well, more than likely the Race Director will bump you up to Pro-4. I wouldn't be concerned about your motor. We do have a motor limit, but let the Director know when you sign up just to be up front. High powered motors are usually a detriment in Plex Spec, not an advantage.

Most 4x4s are currently running AKA Gridirons.

Did you get your MMP working better?
Yes i go it working better. Was at the plex to get a center diff for the slash and talked with Tim. I turned the lipo cut off from auto to 6.4v and it fixed it. I think the ESC on auto may of thought the it was a dead 3s not a 2s.

Also i think i am going to put my Castle 1410 3800kv 4-pole in it to start off in plexspec. Since i havent raced just bashed in the past 8 years i need to slow myself down. Plus the Castle is in my 2wd slash and my wife is going to race that so the 2wd slash will get my old novak 13.5 ss motor and the 4wd slash will get the 1410.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 AM
Tech Regular

Just found a new novak high torque tuning rotor for the 550. So now my 4.5 will be under the kv limit in plexspec. So i will be good to go.