Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
1/8th Scale electronics recommendations >

1/8th Scale electronics recommendations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Scale electronics recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Scale electronics recommendations

Christine has wanted an 1/8th scale buggy for awhile. Thanks to Nathan, she now has one (and spent her own money ). But now its up to Dad to get it running. I know nothing of 1/8th scale.

What electronics are recommended? Cost is a factor since I am not sure she will continue to run it once we get it going. Also, I'm not convinced she will run it competitively...I think it may be something she wants so she can run around with her club friends during practices and open days.

I do have the Tekin RX8/Pro 4 combo in my SCT that I could try in it and put something more tame in the in SCT. Would that work? I've came to the conclusion that I truly don't need that much speed and power in my SCT

What batteries do you run in these?

Thanks in advance...

Cliff
Old 08-12-2012, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
Christine has wanted an 1/8th scale buggy for awhile. Thanks to Nathan, she now has one (and spent her own money ). But now its up to Dad to get it running. I know nothing of 1/8th scale.

What electronics are recommended? Cost is a factor since I am not sure she will continue to run it once we get it going. Also, I'm not convinced she will run it competitively...I think it may be something she wants so she can run around with her club friends during practices and open days.

I do have the Tekin RX8/Pro 4 combo in my SCT that I could try in it and put something more tame in the in SCT. Would that work? I've came to the conclusion that I truly don't need that much speed and power in my SCT

What batteries do you run in these?

Thanks in advance...

Cliff

Tekin is pretty good, but there have been issues in the past. The ESC's were pretty bad about going up in smoke for a while, but I think they've fixed that problem.

If she's just gonna bash it around for a while, Castle stuff wouldn't be bad. It can hold it's own in a race, too.

4 cells are what most people use, but most 1/8 systems can handle up to 6. As far as motors, around 1900kv 1/8 specific motor would probably be good to shoot for. Most people over motor these cars when they first get them, and that can cause nothing but problems.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The Pro4 motor will not work in an 1/8th scale application. The RX8 can though. If its something she just wants to mess around with Castle systems are great. If she was going to race it then I feel an RX8 and a 1900 motor would be great fro racing because they are a much more efficient system. The combo prices are the same between Castle and Tekin. Also just stick with a 4 cell because most tracks rules state 4 cell only.