Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HobbyPLEX Summer Dirt Oval!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Default HobbyPLEX Summer Dirt Oval!!

Plans are in the works on a schedule to start in mid June!!

Tentatively looks like every other Saturday with a few exceptions. The usual classes, 21.5 Street Stock, 13.5 Limited Late Model, Open Sprints and a PLEXSpec class for the kids and newbies. I want to try and make it a get together. Maybe run a couple qualifiers, then fire up the grill and throw on some burgers and brats for some bench racing. Throw down for the mains after!! Maybe try some other unique things, we'll see what we figure out.

More info to come in the next few weeks.

Questions/comments??

Tim Ski
Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

My thoughts (not worth much...)

1) Any thoughts on a weeknight through the summer? Would this work for folks?

2) Would anyone be up for a Parking Lot (asphalt) oval race before June - maybe one Saturday in April and one in May?

3) I think the classes are good - if I was going to request anything I'd like to see another entry level spec class - something like a 17.5 "buggy chassis" sprint car class. (cheap and easy)

4) Folks might hate me - but I'd like to put some more spec's on our Street Stock class - spec a tire? gearing?

5) I like the every other Saturday idea - maybe in addition to a week night to extend the options for folks?

Opinions anyone? Thoughts?

Wherever we end up I'm sure it will be great - sure glad Tim is in charge he's the king !!!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by birdbstr

1) Any thoughts on a weeknight through the summer? Would this work for folks? I like thursday

2) Would anyone be up for a Parking Lot (asphalt) oval race before June - maybe one Saturday in April and one in May? Possibly

3) I think the classes are good - if I was going to request anything I'd like to see another entry level spec class - something like a 17.5 "buggy chassis" sprint car class. (cheap and easy) Entry level classes are certainly important to the growth of racing. Mounting the body/wing take a little extra effort and open wheels with new racers could result in more "action" than fun. Adding a late model body to a buggy is more straightforward and might make the experience more forgiving and fun. Some Q&A time with new racers and more experienced would be good as well.

4) Folks might hate me - but I'd like to put some more spec's on our Street Stock class - spec a tire? gearing? Other tracks have Holeshots spec'd for rear tires

5) I like the every other Saturday idea - maybe in addition to a week night to extend the options for folks? Yes

Wherever we end up I'm sure it will be great - sure glad Tim is in charge he's the king !!!
Long live the King!

My opinions, subject to ridicule
Old 03-18-2012, 07:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dirt oval racing this season was a blast! Thanks to Tim and Kerry for making our Dirt Oval program awesome.

My 2 cents...

I am in favor of a weekly week night program as well as the Saturday program. We may be able to pick up new racers who can't commit to Saturdays.

I like the Street Stock rules the way they are. I will and do share my gearing with anyone who asks (72/34). I also like the "any buggy tire" rule. There are millions of sets of used buggy tires out there that can be bought cheap (which I personally have used all season). Helps keep the cost down for those just getting started in this entry level class. Plus, more specs just means more work for Tim inspecting and teching cars. I think everyone did a great job of self policing the class this year.

A little more banking in the track, if possible, would be nice.

Looking forward to summer oval racing at the Plex...whatever is decided!
Old 03-18-2012, 11:27 AM
00m
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mharrill
Dirt oval racing this season was a blast! Thanks to Tim and Kerry for making our Dirt Oval program awesome.

My 2 cents...

I am in favor of a weekly week night program as well as the Saturday program. We may be able to pick up new racers who can't commit to Saturdays.

I like the Street Stock rules the way they are. I will and do share my gearing with anyone who asks (72/34). I also like the "any buggy tire" rule. There are millions of sets of used buggy tires out there that can be bought cheap (which I personally have used all season). Helps keep the cost down for those just getting started in this entry level class. Plus, more specs just means more work for Tim inspecting and teching cars. I think everyone did a great job of self policing the class this year.

A little more banking in the track, if possible, would be nice.

Looking forward to summer oval racing at the Plex...whatever is decided!
I'm in,weak nites I'm in,asphalt ovel ile try that too,go Plex......
Old 03-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=XplxR;10482042]Long live the King!
Old 03-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1) Any thoughts on a weeknight through the summer? Would this work for folks?
I would be in favor of a week night racing option, it seems that once spring and summer get here everyone gets so busy on the weekends, I really enjoyed the dirt oval racing this year, it is so competitive and mostly laid back cars can race side by side bang into each other and for the most part the racers seem to enjoy the close quaters racing. I for one would have a hard time racing Saturdays early, any thought of a couple of BBQ/afternoon-evening starts on Saturday?

2) Would anyone be up for a Parking Lot (asphalt) oval race before June - maybe one Saturday in April and one in May?
Only comment I prefer the dirt.

3) I think the classes are good - if I was going to request anything I'd like to see another entry level spec class - something like a 17.5 "buggy chassis" sprint car class. (cheap and easy)
I put together a B-Mod just for fun, but it is a buggy chassis with a 17.5 and street tracks for tires, could be a ver fun spec class for those guys wanting to run a second class for for track time without the investment of a oval specific car.

4) Folks might hate me - but I'd like to put some more spec's on our Street Stock class - spec a tire? gearing?
I thought this might be a good idea at first but i agree with Mike Harrill on the tire and gear specs. We need to make sure we are getting new racers a chance to compete, I know my dad had a lot of fun racing his street stock this winter and got better as the season went along, but for him he will struggle to get to an a main and a chance to win. Maybe a bomber class with spec rules almost like a hobby stock class would be a nice starting point for new racers or plex spec drivers wanting a more competitive class.

5) I like the every other Saturday idea - maybe in addition to a week night to extend the options for folks?

Like I said the Dirt Oval racing has been a blast and it should only grow as long as we keep a fair playing field and encourage new racers. Has the plex ever thought of a loaner street stock for someone to run some laps if they are interested?

Sorry to ramble just thought I would share some thoughts.

Phil Palmer
Old 03-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

Hope to have a schedule nailed down after this weekend.

Tim Ski
Old 03-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

My two cents...

1) Any thoughts on a weeknight through the summer? Would this work for folks? Only Monday night is open....

2) Would anyone be up for a Parking Lot (asphalt) oval race before June - maybe one Saturday in April and one in May? I prefer dirt too.

3) I think the classes are good - if I was going to request anything I'd like to see another entry level spec class - something like a 17.5 "buggy chassis" sprint car class. (cheap and easy) Nothing is cheap and easy in R/C.

4) Folks might hate me - but I'd like to put some more spec's on our Street Stock class - spec a tire? gearing? I think it's good the way it is. Mike and Phil made some good points.

5) I like the every other Saturday idea - maybe in addition to a week night to extend the options for folks? Not a bad idea, might make it easy for out of town racers to schedule their trips in. I'm still not sold on the week night idea.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quick question for the Oval guys.Tim and me want to get a series between Omaha and Grand Island this summer would everyone prefer it to be a Saturday-Sunday all in one weekend or a Saturday oppisite Sunday,Once a Month?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 37 RACING
Quick question for the Oval guys.Tim and me want to get a series between Omaha and Grand Island this summer would everyone prefer it to be a Saturday-Sunday all in one weekend or a Saturday oppisite Sunday,Once a Month?
I would vote opposite weekends...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
00m
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by birdbstr
I would vote opposite weekends...
I second that
Old 04-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up Summer Oval Schedule!!

OK guys, here's what we have for Summer race dates!

Saturdays June 16th & 30th, July 14th & 21st, August 11th & 25th, September 22nd & 29th. Point series best 6 of 8 races.

Our usual classes, PLEXSpec, Street Stock, Limited Late Model and Open Sprints. We can run other classes as long as we have four to make a class. We'll run two qualifying rounds then fire up the grill and have something to eat. The 'PLEX will provide burgers & brats and the racers can bring chips or sides, kind of a potluck deal. After the feast, and some bench racing, we'll run mains!!

The only question is what time to run?
First choice would be doors open @ 8AM, track opens @ 9AM and racing starts @ NOON. Probably done around 5PM.
Second choice would be doors open @ 10AM, track opens @ NOON and racing @ 3PM. Probably done around 8PM.

I need all the dirt oval racers to chime in on this one! If you aren't on RCTech, sign up and put in your .02. If not, get in touch with someone who is a member and have them post on your behalf. It is very important that I get as much feedback as possible to make a decision on this.

I'm also going to try a couple Thursday nights, June 21st & July 5th, and see what kind of turnout we can get. I don't want to run on Thursdays in the same week as a Saturday race and we have other events that won't allow us to run Thursday so we'll try out these two dates and see how it goes. If it works out, we can schedule more Thursdays starting in late August.

Let's hear it Dirt Oval Racers!!!

Tim Ski

Last edited by HobbyPLEX; 04-28-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

I say do evenings on the saturday races. Be cool weather than during the day also I think more people will show up for night racing since it is during summertime.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Race Times

I prefer option 1 that way I have the opportunity to do something on Saturday night if I want to. Jusy my .02.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.