Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Nebraska/Iowa Racing
Haven't done R/C in years, thinking about coming back >

Haven't done R/C in years, thinking about coming back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Haven't done R/C in years, thinking about coming back

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Haven't done R/C in years, thinking about coming back

How's it going? I'm thinking of trying out R/C racing again after a long hiatus. The last major advancement in R/C I remember were 2000mAh batteries. Now everything is Lithium and brushless. My how times change.

I guess I'm just wondering what all is different, and what a guy needs to be competitive these days. I use to have a Losi xxt-cr, and run in stock class. I have none of my old equipment anymore, even though I'm sure it would be obsolete at this point.

Any help getting back in to the hobby would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There are many different places to look. First decision is if u want to stick with electric or nitro because both of these are really popular at the plex. If its electric 1/10th scale then I would say short course racing is the biggest thing right now unless u want to do 1/8th scale electric which is becoming extremely popular right now. I would say stop out at the plex and talk to one of the rc guys there and they could definately show what its all about right now. The other factor that will help u decide which direction would be how much money do u have or want to spend. Nitro 1/8th and elctric 1/8th can get pricey, but if u went 1/10th scale short course there are alot of ready to tuns out there that are very capable vehicles that would not be so hard on the budget. Lots of choices there is also onroad racing and carpet oval racing as well. Just something to think about. Chris
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

check the for sale/trade thread. i have some things for sale that might just fit your needs!!
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLIM6971
There are many different places to look. First decision is if u want to stick with electric or nitro because both of these are really popular at the plex. If its electric 1/10th scale then I would say short course racing is the biggest thing right now unless u want to do 1/8th scale electric which is becoming extremely popular right now. I would say stop out at the plex and talk to one of the rc guys there and they could definately show what its all about right now. The other factor that will help u decide which direction would be how much money do u have or want to spend. Nitro 1/8th and elctric 1/8th can get pricey, but if u went 1/10th scale short course there are alot of ready to tuns out there that are very capable vehicles that would not be so hard on the budget. Lots of choices there is also onroad racing and carpet oval racing as well. Just something to think about. Chris
I'm thinking I want to stay with 1/10th electric off road to get back in to things. I never was really in to on road. I haven't raced since the track over off Maple was open, so I'd like to start with something simple. I've seen a lot of the Short Course Trucks online, are these taking the place of stadium trucks? Does the short course mean they run on a smaller track?

As for an RTR kit, I remember them not being the greatest things back in the day. Of course, that was a long time ago. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg, but I don't mind buying a little higher quality equipment.

Anyways, thanks for the advice

Joel
Old 03-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Also, I'm thinking about getting in to a buggy. I always wanted one, but always had stadium trucks that I raced. DO people still race 4wd around here? Those always looked fun, too.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

Originally Posted by PnchoPwr
Also, I'm thinking about getting in to a buggy. I always wanted one, but always had stadium trucks that I raced. DO people still race 4wd around here? Those always looked fun, too.
There are still 1/10th truck classes as well as buggy, I race nitro mainly but I don't thing I've ever seen a class of 1/10th 4wd buggy's at any club race, for some reason it must not be very popular.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

4wd is not popular around here. Short course is just what they call the class. Its a little bit bigger than 1/10 scale truck but it runs on the same track it just supposed to be a scaled down version of the lucas oil series trucks. they do however have 2wd and 4wd versions. The only class they have for buggies is mod buggy or Novice it just depends on your skill level and what you are comfortable with. If you want u can pm me and I can give you my phone number and you can call me. I am not good at making sense while typing, My mind works faster than my fingers and I can lose track of what I am trying to say. I used to race off of maple as well. Hope this helps Chris
Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Hey Joel,

The stadium trucks are still popular and there are two classes that run at the Plex. The 13.5 or Super Stock class and the Open Mod class, formerly Pro-20 with 20 minute mains...can you believe that, 20 minutes on a battery. This year that class will go back to a more conventional 6/10 minute main. Both classes should have good numbers, but the 13.5 class is the more popular in the past. A 13.5 (Super Stock) motor would be similar to 36* outlaw stock or a 19t Chameleon motor back in the day (not sure if they had 19t when you "retired"). It has a little more "pop" than a stock motor but not the crazy power, need a good throttle control finger, of a mod motor. I would recommmend starting with a 13.5 motor and then moving up to a 10.5-8.5 as your skills return (BTW the smaller the number the more porwerful).

Like you, I took some time off for a while and returned to racing recently. The advancements in racing have definately made it more affordable, less work and a little more even playing field. You don't need a different battery for every heat; and then special treatment of the battery between races not to ruin it (dead short). You don't need a comm lathe and several sets of brushes for a race day. You should be able to run a full race day and never touch the motor. Also, I've gotten by on one battery for the whole day but I would recommend two to make sure you have time for a good charge and it will increase the life of the new LiPO batteries. The new LiPO batteries are way lighter and more powerful than the sub-C's were. The milliamp hour rating is similar to when you raced, but the rest is different. With the LiPO batteries the higher the C rating the more powerful; similar to voltage and internal resistance numbers of the sub-C's. I think you should be able to get a 5000 mah/40C battery very affordable, but if you are looking for a big dog there are 60C's available.

Like before you will have your Associated and Losi die hards, but there are many different manafacturers these days that are all based on the same platform (with the exception of the mid-motor X-Factory). You will have to do some research and decide for yourself on the brand, but any of the "race" stadium trucks should be competitive. And like before, you will still have find the right tire/foam combination, shock package and geometry configurations for your driving style. That is what I like best about the stadium trucks over the short course trucks. The short course trucks are pretty much spec, they do have some minor adjustability. Some of the best part of racing is the bench work and then trying it out to see if you found that little something.

Good Luck in your decision making!!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been doing a lot of research the last couple of days, and things are starting to make a little more sense. I still can't believe how much everything has changed.

I'm thinking I want to get in to a Losi XXX-CR. Buggies always looked fun to me, so I think that's what I'm gonna go with.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Welcome back to this very exciting hobby! I myself just got back into this hobby last year after a 15 year break. Things have changed greatly to say the least! Everybody on here and/or at the Plex will be more than helpful with you. I look forward to racing with you. Aaron/Rooster
Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PnchoPwr
I'm thinking I want to get in to a Losi XXX-CR. Buggies always looked fun to me, so I think that's what I'm gonna go with.
Just wait a week or two until the Losi 22 comes out. Its the latest and greatest 1/10 2wd Buggy. Supposed to be very very nice.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

[\QUOTE]I'm thinking I want to get in to a Losi XXX-CR. Buggies always looked fun to me, so I think that's what I'm gonna go with.[/QUOTE]

You can shoot a PM if you are looking to buy a pre-owned XXX-CR to save a buck or two. I have one that I was going to have my son run but it didn't work out.