R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Tennessee-Kentucky Racing > MSRA (Memphis, TN)

Old 10-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default SHOULD THE MSRA "GO OFF-ROAD"?

Fully expecting measurable opposition, Im proposing the following .

Is it time for the MSRA to go off-road?

Clearly there are far more people interested in off-road racing worldwide. This alone would likely lead to finding new people to fill vacant office seats. These vacant spots alone could soon deliver a death punch to the club if not addressed with some long tern thinking.

One could possibly try to nix this proposal by simply stating the obvious, (MSRA has no track). However, the MSRA doesnt really "have" one now either.

With the driver stand being mobile the race site doesn't even have to stay the same all the time. For that matter it doesn't even require dirt. SCT's on a mix of grass/dirt and less than perfect asphalt could be cool. There's a ton of places in Memphis that yield such a site. Just look around when you are passing through town. Ever notice the huge
"bowls" for drainage outside some large chain stores and shopping centers? Ever do any bashing at a park and think ""this would be a cool race site"? Honestly with SCT's big jumps are really unnecessary. Just some good elevation changes and propper lane placement would do the trick.

OK, GO!
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any racing is hard in the Memphis area, including off-road.

For some reason Memphis just doesn't have the support base other areas of the country do. Now take that with a grain of salt. Other areas have had tracks close for 20 years now. Numerous carpet and outdoor oval tracks are now gone. Offroad tracks are gone.

Old guy racing is fun. Or rather expert racing is fun, but expert racing isn't what sustains hobby racing. Novice and Sportsman have better sustainability regardless of what form of racing you do. One must have the newcomers in the hobby in order to grow and maintain.

Every track I have raced at for the last 25 years has fallen to the same pitfalls. Spec and Sportsman sound fun, but there is just an allure to going fast, so either Sportsman turns to Modified or Open or Boosted, or (insert whatever Warp Speed comment). The drivers quickly become disenchanted because they can't keep up with the drivers that can drive fast, or they break parts every time, or it just becomes too expensive with all the support equipment needed to be competitive.

Now, this isn't the sole fault of the tracks per se. Eg... Traxxas came out with a few wonderful products that are tough as nails. Slash and Slash 4x4. The only problem with stock 2wd Slash were the motors. Change the motors, they were still slow, which invariably led to Open motors. AE, Losi, etc jump on the bandwagon, "Our truck is faster than the Slash." New motors, new trucks, new batteries, new tires... on and on. Now you can't be competitive with just a Slash unless you are someone like Lee T. Same thing with the Slash 4x4. New motors go faster, new trucks with better suspension geometry. More equipment..

It would almost take a large organized effort not just in Memphis and the close surrounding tracks (any type onroad, offroad) to attempt to revitalize racing. Again take that with a grain of salt.

Economy is still bad, it's still hot as you know what in the summer time and daylight racing is 100+ in the sun during the summer months.

There is still racing in and around Memphis, most of it is on dirt. AFAIK there is one offroad track, possibly a second, and 2 dirt ovals I believe. Yes these are all backyard tracks, but they are still tracks.

If you read all of this Wall of Rambling, the moral of the story is I don't have an answer. I'll race when I'm off and if I have the cash. AND if it's not hot enough to make my shoes stick to the pavement.

Personally I like racing offroad. It's what I started with 25 years ago. Add to the fact the cars are just a bit more robust than onroad counterparts, and cheaper too. Unless like me you buy a BrokeDango. That still hasn't really broken yet Brad...
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Regional Moderator

Lots of tongue biting here.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Speak ur mind sir its ur thread
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Speak ur mind sir its ur thread
I was referring to the ratio of views/replies.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Flowood on-road, R.I.P.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I haven't raced MSRA in several years. My active racing was from 2000 to 2005 or so. I got away because I started a job that required me to work on Sundays. At the time, I was still having fun, and it was a pretty good group. Now that I've changed jobs, I've been getting back into racing. I always wanted to race off-road, so I got me a Losi XXX-SCT, and race whenever I can find the time. I'm in the process of building a track in my backyard right now.

I don't really understand why racing just hasn't blown up around this area compared to other areas. There are plenty of people that run cars around my area, but everyone just seems content with just bashing and running together. Also, it's worth mentioning that 80% of the people in my area just do off-road bashing. I also feel like off-road is where it's at right now. Racing is so much better now with brushless, 2.4, and Lipo's than back in my day with Brushed motors, expensive NiMH packs, and frequency crystals. You would think that more people than ever would be racing right now.

Going back to the issue at hand, I think adding a SCT class and adding some temporary jumps to asphalt would be fun. Short Course trucks don't like to jump very high anyways. Just a few doubles or tabletops would make things exciting. I think a 17.5 shortcourse class would be fun. After looking at the current classes, VTA looks pretty fun. I think I have a TC3 sitting around somewhere.

Just some random thoughts.
J_Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Fowler View Post
I haven't raced MSRA in several years. My active racing was from 2000 to 2005 or so. I got away because I started a job that required me to work on Sundays. At the time, I was still having fun, and it was a pretty good group. Now that I've changed jobs, I've been getting back into racing. I always wanted to race off-road, so I got me a Losi XXX-SCT, and race whenever I can find the time. I'm in the process of building a track in my backyard right now.

I don't really understand why racing just hasn't blown up around this area compared to other areas. There are plenty of people that run cars around my area, but everyone just seems content with just bashing and running together. Also, it's worth mentioning that 80% of the people in my area just do off-road bashing. I also feel like off-road is where it's at right now. Racing is so much better now with brushless, 2.4, and Lipo's than back in my day with Brushed motors, expensive NiMH packs, and frequency crystals. You would think that more people than ever would be racing right now.

Going back to the issue at hand, I think adding a SCT class and adding some temporary jumps to asphalt would be fun. Short Course trucks don't like to jump very high anyways. Just a few doubles or tabletops would make things exciting. I think a 17.5 shortcourse class would be fun. After looking at the current classes, VTA looks pretty fun. I think I have a TC3 sitting around somewhere.

Just some random thoughts.
You should go check the Thread for running at the Bullet, it's close to you and they have good turnouts.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/msra-mem...tober15th.html

Good Luck
OldandSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to jstump

I have lived here in the memphis area now for a little over 10 years, Sean Jacobson in Bartlett has the only track in this area that i have been too that is truly offroad, the other tracks i have heard of are oval and no comparison even though im sure they are nice for those that run there.

Sean has put alot of money and hard work into his track and he is a nice guy, he typically runs 4-5 different classes, tries to accomidate everyone, has pit areas now covered, night lighting and all that. I personally love the course and to be honest am sad more people dont run there.

If he had more people run there it could potentially be enclosed somehow to run all year long who knows. No one in this area has any money i used to run in Joliet IL at leisure hours, the best indoor\outdoor tracks in the midwest hands down, check them out on youtube.

Race on folks ! Shortcourse is the only way to go !
Mugen Mbx7reco 1/8 ebuggy/HW 120a esc/SMC 1900kv motor/Savox/Proline/Airtronics MT4
jstump is offline   Reply With Quote