Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Options for Off-Road on Public Land?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Options for Off-Road on Public Land?

Sup Fellas,
Are there any on-going discussions with the City of Mbemphis Park Commission or with Parks & Rec Departments of any Suurbs about setting up an Off-road course on Public Land? I'm 32 now, but I remember when I was 10 or so... there used to be Off-Road racing events at Kennedy Park in Memphis.

I also went to Nesbit Park in Bartlett... its on Yale Road, near Sycramore View. Inside Nesbit Park are the "Stanky Creek Mountain Bike Trails" which are maintained by a Mountain Bike Riders club, not the city. The trails start 500 - 750 feet from the parking lot. Immediately East of the parking lot is an area of slightly higher elevation which could house a track and not impede on the mountain bikers at all. The area has been left very natural, so any effort we make to establish a track will also need to have some level of wilderness conservation... (i.e. Track design that would not lead to erosion, commitment to keeping the area clean of trash/human debris, etc).

I we could get approval, it would be great to have a 1/10 scale of the Crandon Inernation Off-Road Raceway... available to all. Any other ideas of where we could ask for area to construction one... Shelby Farms, Shelby Forrest, Kennedy Park, etc.

Thanks,
Evins Wardlaw
Old 03-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

We already know Shelby Farms is a no go we tried and Shelby Forrest not many open places but you could talk to the mayor of Millington Richard Hodges and possibly have something he is into cars and racing
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the information, I may do some scouting around this weekend in Shelby Forrest and see if any spots stand out. They have Frisbee Golf out there and I've played the course a few times and the players have done a poor job of staying on the course or limiting signs of human presence... so I hope to not hear that a reason to deny a 100x50 ft r/c track.

Also, my brother competes in many of the mountain biking and cycling events in the area... I'll ask if he has any contacts with MRC or caretakers of Stanky Creek Trails.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!!

I have tryed to open 3 offroad tracks here in memphis and have built all three tracks raced on them and have the city shut it down...
1st on my own land.. Shutdown
2nd Bmx track on walnut grove..shut down
3rd agracenter...shut it down.....
Good luck.
Sean has a track in his back yard.. In bartlett and has been open for a while
and its a good track. His season is about to start... He has a thread here....
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Like Steve said !!! There has been four offroad tracks here in Memphis that has been lost !!! Seans track is the longest running track in Memphis !!! With alot of classes to choose from !!!! He only runs electric offroad...

He's had everyone from the novice of drivers to pro fully sponsered drivers racing at his track !!! Amb system !!! Come out Thursday nite to check it out !!! 6133 Elmore
Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

www.bullettown.rc50.com
In Mlan TN about 20 minutes north of Jackson, TN bout 1hr drive from Memphis.
Large outdoor offroad, large drivers stand, lights, power, and some GREAT racing.
Friday Night AC/DC Races, Saturday full line up races, see schedule thread!!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New track

I am new to the short course racing. But I have spoken with Munford park and Rec. They have said they would give us a spot to put in a track. He just wants a plan of what amount of area that would b need to operate that is where I am in question the area needed to have a really nice track to even run nitros up to 1/8 . So any info y'all can give me I will b happy to take to them so this way we can have a outdoor track to run everything on thx
Old 03-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by David Wall
www.bullettown.rc50.com
In Mlan TN about 20 minutes north of Jackson, TN bout 1hr drive from Memphis.
Large outdoor offroad, large drivers stand, lights, power, and some GREAT racing.
Friday Night AC/DC Races, Saturday full line up races, see schedule thread!!
Sorry David.. I got so much going on.. I meant to tell him about your track...
Again sorry David...
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the responses, I'm sorry to dig up old wounds... just new to the hobby and had some questions/ideas that I thought to run by the hobby veterans.

I'm looking forward to racing at Sean's soon... my schedule hasn't matched-up the race days yet... per the reason of looking for courses on public land.

I'll check out the Milan track soon... sounds pretty intense.

I worked for the owners of the EZ Paintball and the Paintball Park of Memphis... I think their lot is about 80 acres and they only use about 30-40 acres. I'll see if they might be up for working out a deal for usage.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Linemana - Thats a great start! I'm a fan of the Traxxas TORC series (torcseries.com)... so I wanted to make a scale version of one of their most popular tracks, the Crandon International Off-Road Raceway. I can't post pictures yet, but I have a scale drawing of the course from TORC R/C Series. The dimensions are 100ft by 60ft, for 1/10 scale racing... so 1/8th would roughly be 125ft x 75.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Initiate

I can finally post pictures, so here are the layouts for Crandon International Off-Road Raceway.

Here's an example of the track built...
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

where is this track located
Old 03-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Tech Initiate

That track is located in Wausau, WI... sadly.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Vandevious what kind of car or trucks do you have?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Initiate

I have

1/16th Slash 4WD Brushed (7.4v 2300mah 2c) (soon to be brushless)
1/16th Slash 4WD Brushless with a 1/10th scale Castle Sidewinder ESC (7.4v 2300mah 2c)
1/16th Ken Block Fiesta Gymkhana 4WD Brushless

I'm selling these:

1/10th RC10 Gold Pan buggy
1/10th RC10L Onroad Car
1/10th Tamiya HiLux Monster Racing Truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.