Search

Official Revised Arrma Granite 4X4 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Official Revised Arrma Granite 4X4 Thread

https://www.arrma-rc.com/4x4/mega/

Looks like an all new chassis design and diff layout. This is the "mega" series of vehicles so I'm sure they have a BLX series coming that includes BL power/other upgrade measures.

Also, it looks like the Senton will be moved from 1/8th scale to 1/10th scale from this revision based on Fury no longer being included in this refresh. The price of the Senton on Tower dropped to $350 so that might support the strategy to sell them off and move the SCT business to 1/10th.

Interesting.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Steel_Rain
https://www.arrma-rc.com/4x4/mega/

Looks like an all new chassis design and diff layout. This is the "mega" series of vehicles so I'm sure they have a BLX series coming that includes BL power/other upgrade measures.

Also, it looks like the Senton will be moved from 1/8th scale to 1/10th scale from this revision based on Fury no longer being included in this refresh. The price of the Senton on Tower dropped to $350 so that might support the strategy to sell them off and move the SCT business to 1/10th.

Interesting.
The manual of the new Talion has a new 1/8 Senton similar to the current one, it's just crap confusing names, not new product ranges. Should have been the Fury, not sure what they were thinking.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

The Granite 4x4 is now is stock at Tower. I just ordered one today. Planning on putting a light brushless setup in this rig.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The Granite 4x4 is now is stock at Tower. I just ordered one today. Planning on putting a light brushless setup in this rig.
Let us know how the plastic Diff gears hold up. The differential ring gear is plastic and has the diff cup integrated into it.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Let us know how the plastic Diff gears hold up. The differential ring gear is plastic and has the diff cup integrated into it.
Wow! Plastic diff gears? Sounds crappy.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
Wow! Plastic diff gears? Sounds crappy.
My personal opinion is plastic should never be used for bevel gears and that’s exactly what Arrma did here and on another truck. That other truck was an entry level vehicle that would likely stay brushed so it wasn’t a big deal. Because unless this is some new kind of plastic I seriously doubt it can hold up to brushless.

Also have a look at the housing for the diff in the exploded views. There’s a carrier that holds the gears and the other part is just a cover that doesn’t offer much if any additional strength. The gear carrier does have reinforcement ribbing but in my opinion doesn’t offer the best resistance to flex. If the carrier flexes the mesh between the ring and pinion changes shredding gears. Likely not much of an issue here as the plastic ring gear would likely let go before the carrier flexes and chews the gears that way. But if you somehow get metal gears in there then the gear carrier will be the next weak link.

I’d wait for user reviews to come in on this if you’re thinking about brushless.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
My personal opinion is plastic should never be used for bevel gears and that’s exactly what Arrma did here and on another truck. That other truck was an entry level vehicle that would likely stay brushed so it wasn’t a big deal. Because unless this is some new kind of plastic I seriously doubt it can hold up to brushless.

Also have a look at the housing for the diff in the exploded views. There’s a carrier that holds the gears and the other part is just a cover that doesn’t offer much if any additional strength. The gear carrier does have reinforcement ribbing but in my opinion doesn’t offer the best resistance to flex. If the carrier flexes the mesh between the ring and pinion changes shredding gears. Likely not much of an issue here as the plastic ring gear would likely let go before the carrier flexes and chews the gears that way. But if you somehow get metal gears in there then the gear carrier will be the next weak link.

I’d wait for user reviews to come in on this if you’re thinking about brushless.
I'll run it stock for a few weeks then switch to a mild brushless setup. I don't mind being the Ginny pig.

"Experience is what you get, when you don't get want."

Knowing Arrma, I'm sure they DID think about this and will change up the diffs for the brushless version.

Here's to finding out first.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How is this truck going for you all? I am thinking of a brushless upgrade from the get go. Have seen some done on YouTube.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tubbers
How is this truck going for you all? I am thinking of a brushless upgrade from the get go. Have seen some done on YouTube.
So far, so good. I have three runs on my castle sensored setup. On 2s with a 27t pinion, I'm getting about 38mph...not bad. I have the slipper pretty tight, but I set the power/punch control in the ESC to a low setting to help the drivetrain survive. I'm impressed with this rig with a mild BL setup. It's fast and handles well.

See the attached pictures. With a 27t pinion, you need to modify the bearing plate/gear cover so the pinion sleeve can clear the plastic. Not my best dremel job, but you get the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Official Revised Arrma Granite 4X4 Thread-1.jpg   Official Revised Arrma Granite 4X4 Thread-2.jpg   Official Revised Arrma Granite 4X4 Thread-3.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

I decided to try this guy on 3s yesterday evening. It's got so much power, it's not even possible to pull the trigger to full throttle, even at close to top speed. I removed the the front/rear diffs and checked the spur and pinion...no damaged teeth or cracked gears. The driveshaft also is holding up. It's important to note I have the punch and start power settings on low using the Castle Link software.

I didn't GPS it, but I'd ball park the speed in the high 50, low 60 MPH range. I will say this chassis is very balanced and feels very much like a small MT-410 while using a 3s pack. I'm pretty certain this will outrun my Proline Pro MT 4x4 and that's equipped with a 1/8th 1515 Castle setup running 4s.

Nutty.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

I didn't GPS it, but I'd ball park the speed in the high 50, low 60 MPH range.

Nutty.
That sounds wild. What motor are you using (is it the 1410?). Is it 2 or 4 pole, or 540 or 550 size. (I a have a spare 540 4500kv)
Old 12-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am finding the stock brushed overheats on 2S - I guess it was set up for 2400mah runtime.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Tubbers
That sounds wild. What motor are you using (is it the 1410?). Is it 2 or 4 pole, or 540 or 550 size. (I a have a spare 540 4500kv)
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGMCX

Yes, it's the 1410, 3800kv 4-pole sensored setup.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Broke the diff pinion today doing a jump - maybe slipper was too tight

:-(
Old 12-27-2017, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

I've seen that on YouTube happen already. Are you on the stock power system or brushless?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.