Search
Like Tree9Likes

Definition of a Monster Truck Warning other people's opinions here

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Definition of a Monster Truck Warning other people's opinions here

Starting this thread to DISCUSS what DEFINES a MT in your opinion. It is NOT a MT vs Truggy vs anything else, what performs better, what is better for... or anything like that. Only interested in what defines a MT in your opinion. Does it have to be a "true MT" or is a Muggy or a truggy with MT tires close enough for you to call it a MT?

For me it's all about the look. A look emulating late 1990's to early 2000's 1:1 MT's is perfect to me and what I consider a "true MT". The look also just so happens to encompass multiple parts of the vehicle design. First the body has to be high up in relation to the tires. Ideally the side view should show some gap between the top of the tires and the wheelwell. If the top of the tires are even with the hood it's not a "true MT".

Second, the bottom of the chassis shouldn't be flat and/or the chassis should be thick as in multi layer. A true MT doesn't have the center of the chassis at the same height as the skid plates. Example T/EMaxx is raised up in center. LST is not raised up in the center as much but the chassis is thick and multi layer raising the components on the chassis up under the body. Can't just jack the body up in the air and have components on the chassis in view.

Third, the suspension needs to have lots of travel and have the suspension arms at a downward angle at ride height. How much downward angle is up for debate but some is required, no "level with the ground" arms for my MT.

Fourth. It's gotta have some sort of bumper front and rear. Yeah I know 1:1 MT's don't have bumpers or they're just part of the fiberglass body, but they should have them.

Stuff that doesn't matter to me. Center diff, battery and motor height. Looks are all that really matters to me so these components can go anywhere as long as the look is right. The 3XL has a center diff, the batteries are pretty close to as low as they would be if the chassis actually was flat and the motor is pretty low, but the look is right so I don't care. Some might say the center diff is a truggy feature and this makes it a Muggy. I say its just a feature that doesn't detract from the MT look and a center diff can be locked to act like a trans so it's still a MT in my book.

As for Muggy's and truggies with monster truck tires. I don't care if they're in the MT section or that a manufacturer calls them a MT. That's not the purpose of this thread. But if something is a truggy with MT tires, that's what I'm going to call it, I don't care if Arrma would rather me call the Kraton a MT.

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-28-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The older boys would argue that it needed to be solid axle. Tamiya was king...Clodbuster, Juggernaut, TXT-1
Old 09-28-2017, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Just big ass tires and power
mrgrimm and Trick81 like this.
Old 09-28-2017, 08:29 PM
Tech Addict

Here's the dictionary definition of monster
....."an imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening."

So just put the word "truck " after the definition.
..so "imagination"(not exact standards)
Crazy Truck with Big ass tires hauling ass that will break your leg when it hits you at 50mph
mrgrimm and Dr_T like this.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:47 AM
Tech Elite

so good things said here !

i guess nowadays you got to add what kind of truck you mean with monster truck : rigid axle MT , truggy based MT, twin vertical plate MT. but be warned ! use the wrong word and traxxas will sue you !!!
angrymelon and MaX-D like this.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:03 AM
Tech Adept

For me I'd like to see scale representations of the 1/1, either old school car crushers or modern day trucks you see in events. That means ALWAYS 4wd and 4w steering. Of course, the performance and drivability wouldn't be anywhere near to modern rc MTs.
As far as semantics, Im fine with calling anything marketed as a MT a MT..
Old 09-29-2017, 04:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

For me, an MT has a rigid and strong chassis, lots of suspension travel, big meaty tires, and a big engine with tons of power. At 13lbs, the LST1/2 is no racer... but I wouldn't want to get smoked in the leg by one at 45mph. They are my favorite truck and IMO the quintessential definition of a Monster truck. A friend of mine once called the Losi LST platform "Stupidly Overbuilt". I agree with him.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

I agree with everything slowlst2 said. I just think a center diff for a MT truck has to be
Done on a unique chassis for a mass produced truck to be successfull.

Since this topic started cause of the xxl3e that truck happened because of us lst guys and only us that owns them..

The xxl2e was because of all the topics on the internet about converting to electric so Losi or horizon capitalized

Xxl3e was created the same way and I'm sure I'm not the only one here but if you own
The muggy you love it and if you own a lst variant you either adapt some muggy to it or wished you had a muggy in your fleet as well
Old 09-29-2017, 06:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Solid axle.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

Id still love to get myself a Tamiya Kit someday. TXT especially
Old 09-29-2017, 07:42 AM
Tech Regular

Traditional RC MTs had sold axles and looked like those MTs you see on arenas, or real life mud crawlers, or even lifted trucks.

Modern RC MTs are confused as they can look pretty much how they want and they can also have indemendent suspension.

The modern day MT is equivalent to street cars for me, they are built for fun and should look cool, and modding is encouraged. For example a single turbo supra or a fox body mustang, those are built to roam the streets and not for competitive racing. Problem is most manufacturers don't get this. Those that get it are aftermarket companies such as Proline, FLM, RCM, Innovative, Alza, etc. as they sell "streetable parts" to RCs making them more durable and look cooler
Old 09-29-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Regardless, I do appreciate that some tracks are bringing back the Novice class again to dust off those nitro and electric monster truck and allow some racing again. Seemed to fit the empty time slot needed to allow guys to charge all their electric buggy and truggy.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

should start with the body being a truck
Old 09-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

A pickup truck that is, not a semi hehe.
Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Here's some pedantry: "muggy" as a word does not exist, and should not, in the lower case. The Muggy was the proper name of one particular Losi product. And only one.

As for what a "real RC MT" is, I couldn't care less. Truggy with big tires, buggy, SC with big tires. Doesn't matter. In context it's basically anything with big tires for bashing. In racing that kind of categorization has meaning. In bashing, you can call it a pastrami sandwich for all I care...

Maybe "scale MT" would work for those who really care about solid axles or whatever...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.