• 1 Post By werner sline
  • 1 Post By slick2500

Local Hobby Shops in Ulaanbaatar

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 04:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Post Local Hobby Shops in Ulaanbaatar

Hello RC fans,

Yes, you read that right, Ulaanbaatar, as in Mongolia. There are actually 2 local shops here in the world's coldest capital city. I am currently looking around for what will be my 1st 4WD RC, so I stopped in to check out what's on offer at Hobbyzone today.

Hobbyzone has lots of drones, which I don't care about, so I'll just tell about the trucks and buggies. They have a limited selection of HSP, Axial and Losi electric, nitro and gas models. Most of what they have in shop is HSP. I was impressed by the components of an HSP 1/8 brushless buggy I looked at. There is metal all over that thing and it felt really sturdy, especially for around $300. It seems Losi and Axial RTRs are available to order, but they looked at me like I was nuts when I asked if they had any kits. "Nobody wants those anymore" is what they said.

Hobby Center is the other LHS. They have a very limited selection of Tamiya (pre-built XB) models and just 3 or 4 nitro and electric 1/10 and 1/8 Kyosho RTRs. The guy says he can get any Tamiya or Kyosho kit I want within 2 weeks, and the prices are very good, especially on the Tamiya kits. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a Tamiya Agrios (txt2) kit would only cost me $280! That particular style is not for me, but it does make me think I need a re release Hopper, Hornet and Lunchbox in my growing RC fleet.

As usual, I'd love to hear from you more experienced guys (and gals?), especially if you can offer me any advice about what you think would suit my needs. I am a newb basher and 90% of my running will be off-road, on some pretty rough stuff, and likely on some ice/snow (soon). The only local race class here is 1/8 nitro buggy I think, and I do not think I am ready for that mess and work (nitro). I will definitely go out to the only local track soon to see what's what though.

The thing is, I am losing sleep trying to decide on my next RC, which will be my 1st 4x4. My favorite is the Tekno MT410, but I just can't get my head around spending over $1000. I could see that if I was serious about racing, but it just seems like much too much for my purposes. I think I'd be pretty happy with a platinum Slash with Proline 2.8 mashers, but there are SO MANY OPTIONS at that price point ($500-$600). Everyone says "Get a Kraton" but I don't like how it looks. I like RCs that look a bit more realistic, so I don't want one of those low-crouched, spaceship-looking things (like erevo, kraton). Besides, I REALLY want something I can build myself and choose my own components. I mean, at least with the platinum slash I'd get to choose my own transmitter and paint

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Peace,

MP

Last edited by MongolPete; 08-26-2017 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Actually sounds like you got better store then a lot do back here in the States.

$1,000 sounds like a lot when first get into hobby. Look at some of the upgrades people post. There are 1,000 of Slash/Stampede4x that are well past the $1,000 mark. My 1/10 F1 is just past the $1,000 mark. I've got probably a dozen in that price range now.

But you do have to be really sure going to use it enuff to justify that money.
MongolPete likes this.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you want something that you can build yourself and want to bash I would go Tekno MT410. And you can put together one for a lot less than $1,000.
MongolPete likes this.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey slick,

I have priced the MT410 I want to build at $864. Please let me know if you know a place to get the kit or completion parts for cheap. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 PM
Tech Regular

You can change the body on the Kraton if you don't like the stock one.
MongolPete likes this.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If i were in your shoes i'd get a summit. ive never been to your country but from pictures i see its summit territory.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MongolPete
Hey slick,

I have priced the MT410 I want to build at $864. Please let me know if you know a place to get the kit or completion parts for cheap. Thanks!
Join the Super Savers Club at Tower Hobbies and place 2 separate orders first order for $499 or little more use the $75 off coupon, then the rest with the $50 off coupon. Deducting the $4.99 for the membership that's an additional savings of $120. Unless you already planned to do it that way. And was that including shipping?
vettehigh and MongolPete like this.

Last edited by slick2500; 08-28-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

great to see RC's all around the world !
MongolPete likes this.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Slick,

I joined tower super savers. I see the $75 off $499, but I don't see a $50 off coupon. Do you mean just order the rest and use whichever coupon applies? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MongolPete
Slick,

I joined tower super savers. I see the $75 off $499, but I don't see a $50 off coupon. Do you mean just order the rest and use whichever coupon applies? Thanks.
Yes I meant that, place your order as two separate orders so you can use 2 coupons. Sorry I couldn't remember what the $299 order coupon amount was, for some reason I thought it was $50 but its $45.
MongolPete likes this.