Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arrma Fazon BLX 6S Monster Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Default Arrma Fazon BLX 6S Monster Truck

Discussion thread for the Arrma Fazon BLX.

http://www.arrma-rc.com/rc-cars/latest/fazon/blx/

I'm keeping it separate from the Nero and the Big Rock even though they share 98.7% of the same parts. Tuning and aftermarket parts may be a little different from the other two so I'd rather not have that info buried deep in the other posts.

A true monster. Diff brain equipped. Goes as fast as it looks. I love what Arrma is doing right now.

Have fun!

Last edited by Metal One; 12-07-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Tech Regular

A few thoughts after unboxing.

It may be the best looking RC... thing I've seen in a long time but I think it looks better in Arrma's pictures under all the fancy lights. It might be the little wrinkle in my front grille decal or the spec of dirt under the windshield decal making a bubble that will never lay down. Nice job there, Arrma decal application guy. As someone who makes and applies decals for a living, this bugs me greatly. It could also be the previously mentioned lighting. In most shots, the grille and headlight trim look bright and even passes for chrome and 3D in a few pics. In person, it's just a flat decal on flat plastic. It definitely loses something. The paint job though, wow! I don't know how they print these shells like this but it is very cool. The little spoiler on the back is sweet. Gotta have that downforce! The body is very thick, especially the roof. It should hold up well. I like the clear windows in the back but wish they were not clouded by the decals covering them. I can fix that!

Love the body clip retainers! First new vehicle I've owned that included them.

Battery connectors. XT90s. Includes two extra battery connectors in the box but I have 18 other cars, half a dozen planes plus multiple chargers and parallel boards, all of which use Deans. This includes two other 8th scalers with 6S Castle systems. At first glance, they really don't leave much room to solder anything else in their place. There's a bank of caps shrink wrapped to the power wire, right by one of the plugs. Maybe this can slide back to give more room to change the plug. I really don't want to cut these off. I guess I can convert all of my 8th scale stuff to XT90s and make a couple charging adapters.

Includes a rear skid to replace the wheelie bar, an extra bottom plate for crawling without the big, rock-snagging air scoops, a wheel wrench, a few allen wrenches, shock pistons, an extra bumper brace, etc.

The chassis. It's a Nero! It's also a heavy beast so not having shock towers protruding through the body is one less thing to worry about when it's upside down. It's not going to be as easy to work on though. This one won't see much airtime, not on purpose anyway, so I'm not worried about the battery trays popping open. I see no leaks out of the box. I wish this would have been available as a kit. It would be fun to build this crazy chassis with all the servos buried inside.

Controller seems ok but I'll have the RX switched out for a Spektrum by the weekend. I can't wait to let this beast rip!

Waiting for batteries to arrive. Ordered a 10 pack of XT90s. I'll have some soldering to do this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Arrma Fazon BLX 6S Monster Truck-fazon.jpg   Arrma Fazon BLX 6S Monster Truck-img_6773.jpg   Arrma Fazon BLX 6S Monster Truck-img_6774.jpg  

Last edited by Metal One; 12-07-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks BA. Those tires look like they're more for pavement than dirt/mud.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great looking truck! curious to see what it looks like without the body, kinda looks like a REVO copy. hopefully more durable though.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

The chassis is much different than a REVO. And Arrma cars tend to be much more durable than traxxas.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Had to cancel my battery order. Ordered them on Sunday, paid for faster shipping and they still have not shipped yet. I fill orders and ship stuff every single day so I can't deal with service like that. I'll see what the LHS has in stock today on my lunchbreak. They have Neros so hopefully they will have batteries for them. Probably very expensive batteries but we shall see.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Tech Addict

One thing I don't like about the two battery pack chassis. It makes my 4s batteries useless for that truck.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Tech Regular

Indeed it does limit the combinations of packs one can fit in there. Called the LHS. They don't have any LiPos big enough for Neros but they do have XT90s so I can at least grab a couple sets to make charging adapters. I have a pair of 3S 5000 70-130C Nano-Techs. They are a few years old but they have been well maintained. I'll make do with those for now for a 6S set. I've got plenty of 4S sets to choose from. One way or another, I'm running this beast this weekend!

Looking at Geforce, SMC and MaxAmps packs. I've had great luck with Geforce packs in my Yeti XL. They are inexpensive and have held up well for me. Never tried SMCs but the prices are nice and I've heard great things about them. Then there's MaxAmps. Their Nero set is sweet but holy moly, I could buy many things for the price of that one set of batteries.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Metalone, how are you going to handle the diffbrain stuff on your radio? Can you just toggle through it or does your model have a dedicated 4 point switch? I recently got mine and I just slapped adapters on the ESC connections to let me run my deans packs. So far, I am loving it and have my eyes on a set of Sweeps to cement it's place as a full time road truggy.
-c
Old 12-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

The XT90s are a great connector. They are good size and stay together better than any of the others. But everyone in my area and my friends use deans and because of this I will keep using them. Sharing batteries/ESCs etc happens.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ccattie
Metalone, how are you going to handle the diffbrain stuff on your radio?
I will let you know when I figure that part out. The LHS assigned theirs to a trim switch on their DX4 Pro and as you hold it, it cycles through the diff settings. I think I saw some instructions for programming the Diff Brain to Futaba somewhere. I will hunt them down later this evening after work and see if that will apply to Spektrum as well.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Zinergy
The XT90s are a great connector. They are good size and stay together better than any of the others. But everyone in my area and my friends use deans and because of this I will keep using them. Sharing batteries/ESCs etc happens.
Exactly! I've been using Deans for... oh.. 25 years at least, if not more. All of my friends use them as well although we don't share packs. Never had a single issue with solder joints or melting on any vehicle. My Vorza and Yeti XL both have them with dual battery setups. With 2 Ultra plugs, current delivery really shouldn't be a problem. But... what the heck, I'll give the XT90s a go anyway.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

You could just buy some xt90 to deans adapters and run your current deans batteries.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Thought about that, or making some myself. Decided I didn't want to risk any extra resistance or possible fail points. The 3S packs that I already have will only be used in this vehicle from here on out. I'll do them up with XT90s and make some adapters for my Para-board after dinner. The others can wait for a while.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:33 PM
Tech Regular

Welp... One pass down and back up the driveway on 6S was all it took to shear a pin that connects the axle to the front diff output. Never got to play with the diff modes. Tires aren't even scuffed. Incredibly disappointing. I really don't know what else to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.