Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Off Road Monster Truck Racing Come Back? >

Off Road Monster Truck Racing Come Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree17Likes

Off Road Monster Truck Racing Come Back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 05:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BJoe
I guess my continued thought here is that if I wanted to race a monster truck, I want it to be a monster truck and racing against other monster trucks, not a truggy with MT wheels on it, and that's all those two trucks are, just truggies with MT tires on them. If I wanted to race a truggy, I would just buy one instead. Don't give me that nonsense about solid axles either since the only solid axle trucks out there are the Wheely King, SMT-10, Clod Buster, and Kyosho Mad Force (I think) based rigs, with the latter being the only 1/8 scale of the bunch. You keep yapping on about being a former track owner and how great these two rigs are, you're somehow coming off as though you are making money off each one sold. I've also worked in a hobby shop, and yes I saw the T-Maxx trucks come in for constant streams of parts (some after involving a keg of beer and a bunch of friends on a saturday night), but I've also seen Revos and Savages come in beaten severly and still running and driving, plus with a decent number of RPM parts available, I'm not buying the durability arguement. Not sure I would want anything that sized, Buggy, Truggy, or MT running anything more than 4s on anything other than a track that would be more appropriate for 1/5 buggies and trucks either. Wing, I could go either way on, no wing would be more of a challenge and bring more driver skill out, just like racing a truck that isn't really isn't already just a race truck with non racing rolling stock and body on it would do.

Anyways the Outcast and Tekno are not truggies with Big tires...they are 2.75" shorter then a truggy !.... get your facts right before you start yapping yourself..

And the durability is terrible on MT"s.... truggies and buggies are so much more durable its not even funny !

but what would I know, you worked at a hobby store, that makes you an expert on offroad racing !
Old 04-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maximo
Anyways the Outcast and Tekno are not truggies with Big tires...they are 2.75" shorter then a truggy !.... get your facts right before you start yapping yourself..

And the durability is terrible on MT"s.... truggies and buggies are so much more durable its not even funny !

but what would I know, you worked at a hobby store, that makes you an expert on offroad racing !
Hey.., my MT410 durability is second to none
Old 05-09-2017, 10:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I'd personally love to see the TMaxx's Revos, and LST's that once were the norm in the MT class make a come back.

I'd make it real easy for defining an MT if it were my track. If it has a center diff, it goes in truggy class. That keeps the most capable chassis' against their intended competition. After all, it was the center diff that more or less gave birth to the term "truggy" in the first place.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Our local track has a class for XMaxx, which I think is somewhat funny. I'd love to race my ERevo if there was a class for it. I'm a truck/truggy guy, so that would be sweet. The more trucks and truggies, the better, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Addict

Real MTs:
•High center of gravity.
•No flat chassis under-the-diffs style layout. (That's a truggy)
•No center differential.
•MT sized wheels and tires.
•True "truck" style body.
•No wing.

Sign me up!!!
Old 07-07-2017, 09:15 AM
Tech Rookie

This is the class that I played in when I first joined the hobby in the early 00's. I exited the racing scene when truggies took over and MT's dissolved from racing. We didn't have many failures in ours races. Just ran through fuel and tires without too much headache. The need for better performance around the track is what drove truggies into our races and eventually killed the MT class.

I'd personally prefer this class with the tire restriction y'all mention. It's more fun when everyone is trying to sling those heavy sloppy trucks around the track. Everybody taking garbage lines when their trucks slide out of the groove and just hammering on the throttle. It was a ton of fun! The only people that broke were the guys trying to clear triples with a crooked launch.

I think what I'd be most interested in is a solid axle class too. Breakage is probably more likely but it'd be super fun to blast them around an off road track.
BJoe likes this.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would totally enter my Savage in an MT class.

I do find it funny that there are some in this thread reporting on how "fragile" these machines are on a track environment. I have put my Savage through hell and back without the need for any real exotic parts before. In fact, it has mostly only been a stock chassis and suspension layout and it never had any real failures during a bash session. Any parts that broke were due to events that would have absolutely totalled anything else.

Now, this part of me is from what I have seen in my own racing experiences in a competitive environment. Racers are always trying to go faster than the next guy. That is a given. What happens when you put a fresh guy into the mix that has never raced before. Well.. he is gonna try to go Ricky Bobby with it. And it will end with the theoretical little driver that would be inside the rig in all our imaginations running around begging for Tom Cruise and the Baby Jesus. It happens in every class of racing every year. We have all seen it. If you haven't noticed a guy at the track that fits this picture, its probably you. But don't worry, we have ALL been there.

Are we sure the "fragility" of these machines that are able to take a legendary sort of beating in a thrash bash without failing are due to bad design when it comes to running on a track? Or could it be perhaps that since it did tend to pull the guys that are either new to racing or aren't the most serious about racing weren't experienced in the art of finesse when it comes to throttle/brake and steering input to keep their rigs roof side up and on the track? Because I know from experience that my Savage can handle a track perfectly fine under my control, it has done it before countless times and will continue to do so as long as I can keep the Bo Duke hiding in the throttle under control when it comes to approaching extreme triples. XD
BJoe likes this.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wolf16731
I would totally enter my Savage in an MT class.

I do find it funny that there are some in this thread reporting on how "fragile" these machines are on a track environment. I have put my Savage through hell and back without the need for any real exotic parts before. In fact, it has mostly only been a stock chassis and suspension layout and it never had any real failures during a bash session. Any parts that broke were due to events that would have absolutely totalled anything else.

Now, this part of me is from what I have seen in my own racing experiences in a competitive environment. Racers are always trying to go faster than the next guy. That is a given. What happens when you put a fresh guy into the mix that has never raced before. Well.. he is gonna try to go Ricky Bobby with it. And it will end with the theoretical little driver that would be inside the rig in all our imaginations running around begging for Tom Cruise and the Baby Jesus. It happens in every class of racing every year. We have all seen it. If you haven't noticed a guy at the track that fits this picture, its probably you. But don't worry, we have ALL been there.

Are we sure the "fragility" of these machines that are able to take a legendary sort of beating in a thrash bash without failing are due to bad design when it comes to running on a track? Or could it be perhaps that since it did tend to pull the guys that are either new to racing or aren't the most serious about racing weren't experienced in the art of finesse when it comes to throttle/brake and steering input to keep their rigs roof side up and on the track? Because I know from experience that my Savage can handle a track perfectly fine under my control, it has done it before countless times and will continue to do so as long as I can keep the Bo Duke hiding in the throttle under control when it comes to approaching extreme triples. XD
I agree with you, but its really only one person who seems to think MT's are fragile. I've seen the same stupid argument regurgitated several times. MT's are plenty tough, and capable of handling most anything you want to throw at it. Crash wrong and anything will break. I dont think anyone who has actually raced would tell you different.
BJoe likes this.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Tech Champion

I disagree. MT's don't hold up to lap after lap running on a track. For one thing, my LST2 was VASTLY more reliable and durable than my Savages, and my LST2 gave me fits when I made my second one into a track truck. Mostly 2-speed issues. Yeah, there were guys modding them to single-speed, but then it's like, what's the point? A Savage - at least my XSS back in the day - would not have made 20 laps without a blown diff or stripped spur gear..(two issues my LST2's have never had..)

MT's are fun - my LST2's (with big tires, not with small truggy tires screwing up the 2-speed..) are my all-time favorite RC's. But they won't hold up to a weekend of racing anywhere near like a truggy will.

One thing you have to keep in mind: "toughness" is not just being able to withstand a bonehead crash off a 20-foot jump. REAL toughness IMO is how well the drivetrain holds up - diffs, spur gears, outdrives, etc. And on a track that is where it counts. MT's going back and forth in straight lines off of ramps or whatever is different.

Furthermore, the culture of racing is poisonous IMO. You start with an MT - say a Savage. But then a tidal wave or pressure sweeps over everything to mod this, get this high end modded engine, and on an on. And with truggies and buggies, you need hundreds and hundreds of dollars in tires.. OK, you say, well, you don't need that in MT racing. But somebody will find tires that make them faster, then the next guy will run them, and so it goes. Then somebody will have a Muggy or something similar and let them run with MT's, even though a Muggy was ONLY a truggy with big shocks and tires.

I would have a great time running an MT at a BMX track or even maybe an offroad track.. But once it gets all overly serious with modding and money and transponders etc.., nnaa, if I want to race I'll just get a truggy. Cuz a truggy will hold up 10x better. That's just my opinion. No offense.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

I can understand that, but when it comes to Truggy they are just extended chassis versions of a buggy with a truck looking slammed body and bigger tires. So at that point, I would much rather race 1/8 buggy.. tires are somewhat cheaper and take up less space lol.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

And excuse me if this is somewhat too far off topic, but if what this is really about is racing scale type trucks again, I would say MT is totally the wrong way to go. I would much rather get back to the basics by bringing back 2wd nitro stadium truck in the form of SCT racing. Its a shame the Associated SC10GT never took off because that would be a killer class to race in. It would be 10x cooler and much cheaper to race those than it would any MT class.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

This would be sooo cool. I've taken my slash 2wd to the indoor track many times and there's always someone who just takes it way too seriously. It's strange because sometimes their teenagers. I'm a teenager!! They're playing with toys, they shouldn't be taking it so seriously