Wiki Posts
Search

Which 1/8 MT to buy? 750$ Budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mlax
I'm almost convinced...my last concern is ground clearance. My usual bash spots have a mixture of rough grass and sand with some smaller stones in between. I saw in your build thread that even with Badlands on it, the clearance seems pretty low...
Don't be concerned with ground clearance, the smooth truggy chassis will just slide right over the rough stuff, plus you can put huge tires on it if you like. My Kraton will go anywhere my losi XXL2e will go. If you can afford a Tekno build, I would do it.

Trout
Old 08-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

You should be able to run most 17mm MT tires.
ET48 Blk blue flames(MT4, Blockade 3.8, SRC Terrain Crusher), TT MT4 G3 red(stock), & EB48.3 orange(Badlands 3.8):

Old 08-14-2016, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Your concerns and wants sound nearly identical to mine, so I can't help but to throw in my two cents....

Truggies are awesome handlers, and awesome in the air. Their downfall is thick grass and tall obstacles. Many on here will disagree with me, but the reality is that there comes a point where they will get stuck or slow significantly due to lack of ground clearance. My 8T was fully upgraded and jacked up as high as I could get it, and I went to a construction site(where I usually drive) and it constantly was nose diving into the ruts made by tractor tires. Same in tall grass in a park, the friction of grass against it slowed the truggy a ton. Also, consider the slap factor in regards to lipos. Lipos are DANGEROUS and if you plan on going really big with your jumps, they should not be exposed to that kind of impact often. But again, truggies are absolutely insane on milder terrain, and the handling off jumps is untouchable.

MT's can be all over the boards with handling and jump ability. The TM BES III is sweet looking, but look at how giant the tires are in proportion to the length...it's a truggy with huge tires. Nothing wrong with that, just saying that when you put real truggy tires in you would lose a ton of clearance. MT's in general are hard to tell what you're going to get without studying dimensions and watching videos. I currently have a raging hard on for my Nero and I went thru a long process of reviewing everything out there before I bought it. Scroll down the MT thread to Buggest Baddest MT out there 2016, and there are some quick comparisons I wrote up. Hope it helps,

Just remember; tall grass and crazy terrain= MT. Low grass, mild terrain=Truggy. Or buy both!
Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

I don't think I entirely agree with that(no offense) A truggy can go over anything an MT can, IMO.

MT's can be nice and fun to drive(especially nitro..), particularly the Losi. But for sheer performance for money, I can't see getting anything other than a Kraton given everything out there right now. Unless you really know what you're doing - AND are lucky - and get a good used race kit.

The Nero is nice and all, but from what I have seen so far, it's exactly what I expected, and exactly the reason I got the MT4 G3 back in the day over the E-MTA. The more truggy-like car is lighter, simpler, and therefore more robust(and usually faster, and cetainly better handling..) The bigger more MT type cars are the same size, but weigh a lot more and have a lot more moving parts - parts which can - and invariably do - break.

Nothing against MT's, as they are my favorite type of RC when nitro. At least my LST2's are. But for electric truggy all the way IMO. Simpler and lighter is better.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I don't think I entirely agree with that(no offense) A truggy can go over anything an MT can, IMO.

MT's can be nice and fun to drive(especially nitro..), particularly the Losi. But for sheer performance for money, I can't see getting anything other than a Kraton given everything out there right now. Unless you really know what you're doing - AND are lucky - and get a good used race kit.

The Nero is nice and all, but from what I have seen so far, it's exactly what I expected, and exactly the reason I got the MT4 G3 back in the day over the E-MTA. The more truggy-like car is lighter, simpler, and therefore more robust(and usually faster, and cetainly better handling..) The bigger more MT type cars are the same size, but weigh a lot more and have a lot more moving parts - parts which can - and invariably do - break.

Nothing against MT's, as they are my favorite type of RC when nitro. At least my LST2's are. But for electric truggy all the way IMO. Simpler and lighter is better.
Edit - ...And oh yeah - cheaper.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:13 AM
Tech Master

I completely and totally have to disagree on a truggy getting through the rough stuff as quickly as an MT. Truggies sit about an inch or so off the ground whereas most MT's have about 3" of clearance. While a truggy is smashing into the ruts and having the taller grass pull on it, the MT will leave it in the dust. Truggies are designed, and you can't argue with this part because its fact LOL, for the driveshafts to be parallel with the ground, hence they are designed to be lower. While that's adjustable to be higher(to a point, until the grub screws hit the chassis wing tabs), so is an MT to be that low...but one comes one way and the other doesn't.

If you ran a truggy and and an MT into a pile of dirt that's four inches high, the MT will go by faster, no matter how you roll those dice. If you are going over ruts that are four inches high, the truggy has double or more of the chance of hanging up high centered and calling for the walk of shame while an MT rarely will get hung up like that due to the higher COG. Just saying...something to consider and is indeed based on fact due to design...not my opinion.

Herrsavage, we need to sit down and have a beer sometime. The conversation would be great!
Old 08-14-2016, 06:21 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

All fair points. I own a Typhon buggy and I can definitely say that that one is too low for my terrain even with new Loise tires on it. It just gets stuck too much and gets bumped on the nose quite a bit. I realize that a truggy is higher than a buggy but obviously not by that much. What I enjoyed about the MT4-G3 was that you just didn't have to worry about it. It was a non issue when you drove it.

Its a tough decision especially given that both options are 550+ bucks.

I love the idea of a more versatile vehicle like a truggy that you could put some new tires on and do a speed run with but I also like the carelessness that you can have with the clearance of an MT...
Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm almost convinced...my last concern is ground clearance. My usual bash spots have a mixture of rough grass and sand with some smaller stones in between. I saw in your build thread that even with Badlands on it, the clearance seems pretty low...
I don't drive anywhere where huge monster truck tires are needed but if you need more ground clearance just swap tires. I've been to a motocross track where there was huge ruts and rocks everywhere and it didn't have any problem with standard size truggy tires.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:07 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

which tires are those in the pic?
Old 08-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

To each their own...I think truggies look dumb with overly huge tires on, then again so do some MTs. Some "MT's" don't even look like MT's given they are seemingly hybrids(Kraton, BES, M8TE, MT4, Revo). Just know that if its clearance you need, the truggy will be less apt to buzz right thru the junk, not because of my opinion, but by design. Tom ay toe, tom ah toe. With $750, you can buy both used, and then off the one you don't like for cash and then upgrade the piss out of your favored rc. It's all good at the end of the day. Funny how the Monster Truck section of rctech is riddled with guys trying to convince people to buy truggies....
Old 08-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

tire diameter is all its about ! Kraton will go over and thru anything a Nero will.....

Put normal sized truggy tires on a MT and it will have the same clearance issues a race truggy would !

By design a truggy can go over rough stuff much faster as its suspension actually works.... most MT's suspensions are designed to be pogo sticks and usually aren't overly good at absorbing impacts... Also the smooth bottom really doesn't get hung up on anything, whereas a MT with its stepped bottom can get hung up much easier as there is much more to get hung up on....
Old 08-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

All fair points. I own a Typhon buggy and I can definitely say that that one is too low for my terrain even with new Loise tires on it. It just gets stuck too much and gets bumped on the nose quite a bit. I realize that a truggy is higher than a buggy but obviously not by that much. What I enjoyed about the MT4-G3 was that you just didn't have to worry about it. It was a non issue when you drove it.

Its a tough decision especially given that both options are 550+ bucks.

I love the idea of a more versatile vehicle like a truggy that you could put some new tires on and do a speed run with but I also like the carelessness that you can have with the clearance of an MT...
A X-Max would be the only MT that could go over more then a kraton..... other then that The kraton will go over rough terrain better then any other 1/8th MT on the market bar none... When guys say a truggy is going to get hung up I always question how much they have actually run the truggy and how much of what they are saying is just theory... I know for a fact my 5T Truggy with just badlands on was blasting over a furrowed field far better then my buddies Nitro Losi XXL...the Truggy skipped over the high spots like they weren't even there, I was able to blast at 100% wide open throttle and the truggy just soaked it up, the XXL however was getting bucked and kicked all over the place as its suspension was all jacked up and acted more like having a pogo stick on each corner....Now of course I could have tuned the XXL suspension to function better, but it would have involved softening everything and lowering the truck down so it had at least 60% sitting as droop.....

Buggies and truggy are very different, especially a truggy like a Kraton..the tire diameter difference is massive ..I own a few buggies but I find I never use them as they are just too low to be much use for bashing, I find the truggies to be vastly more versatile, even just using common race tires.......

In the end the flat pan chassis is less prone to getting hung up then a complicated MT bottom, and ground clearance is more a function of tire diameter then anything else....
Old 08-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trout74
Don't be concerned with ground clearance, the smooth truggy chassis will just slide right over the rough stuff, plus you can put huge tires on it if you like. My Kraton will go anywhere my losi XXL2e will go. If you can afford a Tekno build, I would do it.

Trout

+1 on the Tekno !
Old 08-14-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Any (electric) truggy with for ex. stock MT4 G3 tires/wheels will do anything any 8th scale offroader will, and almost everything better...
Old 08-14-2016, 11:22 PM
Tech Adept

The beauty of the truggy is the accuracy in the turns, jumps etc .. by fitting larger wheels the overall balance would suffer a decrease

ps:the losi lst xxl nitro prepared properly is a beast (the frame is to sandwich the central transmission, steering servos and batteries are located under the horizontal)plane, the engine has a configuration from on-road side discharge, the losi 454 shouts but download the wheels phenomenal traction weight distribution is perfect, who first developed in lst xxl nitro is genius, I do not like the distribution of components (weights) of the electric losi

Last edited by marco70; 08-14-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.