Wiki Posts
Search

Which 1/8 MT to buy? 750$ Budget

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 09:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
A 1/10th MT is not in the same class as a 1/8th truggy.... one is made primarily of the plastic, the other is built on a heavy duty Aluminum chassis...On a real 1/8th offroad track one would hold together, the other would blow apart spectacularly, One would hold up to the rigors of racing, one most definitely would not.....That plastic truck would just get eaten alive on the track, even 1/8th MT's get chewed up by the tracks let alone a 1/10th truck built on a plastic chassis.....

So I own and have owned many high end truggy kits, currently own a Kyosho, Mugen, Tekno and a Serpent, but I wouldn't trade my Kraton for any of them unless I was looking to go racing.. The Kraton has all the same design elements as the racers but has been modified to be a more durable basher, with heavier duty differentials, more flexible plastics and heavier duty driveshafts.. The racer truggies will indeed handle better as they have far less flex and slop but at the same time the more rigid build will make them more prone to damage from bit impacts.. The racers are far more adjustable, but once again unless your racing and understand what the settings do its only creates unnecessary weak points... Some will claim that the Kraton has lower build quality but I don't buy that one bit..in fact I think its very well built and engineered, far better engineered then any of the MT's bar none.. Guys get caught up with bling and assume bling means build quality, but I don't buy that crap..To me functionality and performance are all that matters... Case and point the kraton diffs, they look very basic and plain to the uneducated eye, however to the educated eye like mine I see a very heavy duty differential that has been purpose built to handle big power, has high grade materials that are very well hardened steel gears right on par or even exceeding the very top of the line race kits.....

At the end of the day The kraton is the first basher truck in the last decade that I would consider putting my money on, before that I would only buy top of the line race kits....I have had LST's, Savage's, Revo's etc etc etc and IMO they were all rubbish next to a truggy...cool to look at, but after that they didn't have much to offer except clumsy handling, tipping over and crashing spectacularly off the jumps and subsequently breaking down and being a nightmare to repair...
Do you know at all the car I'm talking about? It's not 1/10th its a 1/8th scale fully aluminum upgraded Truggy/MT http://www.bigsquidrc.com/team-magic...monster-truck/
And also, I'm not concerned about being eaten on the track. The primary purpose - as stated in my original post - is to bash, not to track.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

LOL. This thread is deja vu. Flip a coin and go with that, you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mlax
Do you know at all the car I'm talking about? It's not 1/10th its a 1/8th scale fully aluminum upgraded Truggy/MT http://www.bigsquidrc.com/team-magic...monster-truck/
And also, I'm not concerned about being eaten on the track. The primary purpose - as stated in my original post - is to bash, not to track.
The Track is the ultimate test of durability....consider it a litmus for what works and doesn't work under high stress conditions...

My bad With the plastic chassis I assumed it was 1/10th scale.. in the end it doesn't change my opinion, still looks very underwhelming in all the videos that are posted...
Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RC Juice
LOL. This thread is deja vu. Flip a coin and go with that, you won't be disappointed.
LOL..... What he said......Just like darn near every other I wanna thread.

Just buy what you want, if you like it is all that matters, when you break it, fix it, cause they all break eventually. Parts availability? you can find anything on the internet.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:13 PM
Tech Regular

The TM does have a plastic chassis. ET48.3 has a 4mm CNC 7075 aluminum hard anodized lightened chassis(Battery tray dimensions: 50x148mm ). IIRC, most RTR truggies use a ~2.5-4mm 6061 aluminum chassis. There is little info on the TM, but on more than one report of the upper & lower arms actually twisting, where the pillow ball twist 90deg, causing the arms to tangle. If you live in the US, TM has almost zero presence. RedCat is rebranding some TM. http://www.redcatracing.com/Team-Red...category=32356
Old 08-13-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I was under the impression that the E6 III BES is also more of a truggy platform compared with i.e. the Losi LST or the Savage.

Based on the reports from AussieRC and others, the E6 definitely seems to be one tough truck even compared to the Kraton (which they all tested as well).

The Kraton doesn't speak to me personally very much I have to say. I would like to use my own Electronics (2200kv HW w. Max8) and especially my own servo. The servos in RTRs outright annoy me every time i touch one.

Given what was said I basically see two options for me:
1) Get a Tekno ET48.3 roller and build it into a basher (I'm not sure if you can get 6S batteries in there?)
2) Get the E6 III BES as a little bit of an unknown since not many people on here have apparently tried the truck but buy it based on AussieRC's and daSilvas recommendation.

Is there any other truggy platform I should be looking at that I'm missing? I need to be able to run 6S (and perhaps 8S in the future hehehe) It's great to hear so many arguments and thoughts on this - really helps.
The E6 III BES looks more like a monster truck hybrid, definitely not a truggy. On the ET48.3, yes you can fit a lot of different 6S batteries. It is a super durable platform.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mopar2Ya
The TM does have a plastic chassis. ET48.3 has a 4mm CNC 7075 aluminum hard anodized lightened chassis(Battery tray dimensions: 50x148mm ). IIRC, most RTR truggies use a ~2.5-4mm 6061 aluminum chassis. There is little info on the TM, but on more than one report of the upper & lower arms actually twisting, where the pillow ball twist 90deg, causing the arms to tangle. If you live in the US, TM has almost zero presence. RedCat is rebranding some TM. http://www.redcatracing.com/Team-Red...category=32356
do you know the maximum height the battery can have for the ET48?
Old 08-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Tech Regular

I've never measured, but you're only restricted in battery strap length ((2) 10.5″ straps, (1) 18.5″ strap) & body. I'm pulling info directly from Tekno's website. http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr5602-...kit-pre-order/
Old 08-13-2016, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=Maximo;I have had LST's, Savage's, Revo's etc etc etc and IMO they were all rubbish next to a truggy...cool to look at, but after that they didn't have much to offer except clumsy handling, tipping over and crashing spectacularly off the jumps and subsequently breaking down and being a nightmare to repair...

the truggy for off-road racing is certainly higher but the LST losi for private use is a beast on wheels

Last edited by marco70; 08-13-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

thats literally one of the most boring RC videos of the LST that I've ever seen lol.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Adept

because you wanted to see jumps of 20 km
Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

There's a lot room for the height. This is two Nano-Tech 4S 4400mah batteries stacked. 8S is fun for on-road, but for off-road it's overrated.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

that looks like a sweet build! So 2x nano-techs should be around 65-68mm height then.

Have you bashed (hard) with your ET48? If so, any feedback you can give on durability and so on?

By the way, I realize that every car has a breaking point but there are certainly some more prone than others with loosing the bones etc.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

that looks like a sweet build! So 2x nano-techs should be around 65-68mm height then.

Have you bashed (hard) with your ET48? If so, any feedback you can give on durability and so on?

By the way, I realize that every car has a breaking point but there are certainly some more prone than others with loosing the bones etc.
The durability of the ET48 is insane. I own two of them. It was designed for racing of course and the engineering put into it is above anything else I've owned before. I literally haven't broken anything on either truggy in nearly two years of ownership, that wasn't caused by bad bearings. I've bent hinge pins and destroyed bodies from track use and that's it. One is ran with a 43x106mm motor on 6S for high speed off-roading (60 mph) and the other is used for bmx and rc tracks. They don't ever get driven lightly. If you go over to the racing section and ask what the most durable brand is, Tekno will be at the top of the list. That's not me being biased it's just the truth. They are light weight tanks. If you want to see the durability of a car take it to a hard clay track and race on it for a few hours lap after lap after lap, you'll quickly find out how durable your car is and that's what these were made for.

My build thread is here. http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-...tp-4070-a.html
Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm almost convinced...my last concern is ground clearance. My usual bash spots have a mixture of rough grass and sand with some smaller stones in between. I saw in your build thread that even with Badlands on it, the clearance seems pretty low...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.