Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E Revo to Losi diff mod continued bulkhead breakage

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Default E Revo to Losi diff mod continued bulkhead breakage

I did the diff conversion and am now constantly breaking bulkheads. Does anyone know of an aluminum on in the works for the losi diff mod? I love this truck and have tons into it but don't have the time to modify a bulkhead every other time of hard bashing. It is the new weak spot.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Do yourself a huge favor and sell it. It's just poor materials and a poor design and Traxxas will never do anything about it. I would suggest the Arrma Kraton which has real 1/8 diffs in them and is actually a lot cheaper vehicle to purchase. This may not be what you want to hear but I promise you it will be the best decision.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You're not going to find a bulkhead in any material already modified for the LST diff mod. They're going to be made to fit stock diff and you'll need to modify them yourself. Aluminum bulkheads are available from a couple different sources, Integy, Hot Racing, I believe GPM has them also. Just do a google search for Revo aluminum bulkhead and you'll see your options. As a former Revo owner I gotta agree with Overkill though, there are much better vehicles out there. The Revo does an ok impression of a truggy but a truggy is so much better in so many ways.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

The E-revo is good on 4s. More "s" is not good for them.

Believe the owner of one and other's truggys and buggys.

If you want an E-revo for 6s...you need to spent the double it coust new...and still not that good!
A good racing truggy second hand for 150euros is all you need for your 6s needs.

That's the truth... and only the truth!

Don't care what crying babys of traxxas 6s say... it's impossible to have a 6s e-revo stock or even upgraded....that runs a single pack hammering throotle unless doing only speed runs...
Old 03-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the advice guys. You guys are saying what I was thinking but didn't want to listen to my inner thoughts lol. Sucks as I love the truck and have so many mods done to it. But I am done being a full time mechanic on it.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Here's a suggestion, run it on a brushed motor, gear it to as high as the motor temps will stand with 4s. I have a Summit and we all know it's nearly the same truck. It's spent it's whole life with a either the KD 700HO or the Dewalt 820, not one blown stock diff (knock on wood) or any other problem for that matter. Except for the crappy 2075 servos haven't replaced a thing. Then go get you a good go fast truggy.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Tech Rookie

I don't run the truck on more than 5s. The stock diffs sucked for me using 4s. I do blame a lot on the trencher tires I run. But now after doing the 1/8 diffs I have no more drive train issues. But bashing I am breaking bulkheads now. Didn't break many before the mod but dremeling plastic takes its impact on the diff housing. I installed a chassis brace in rear but this truck just flexes too much.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

That's why I suggested running a brushed system. You could easily go back to stock diffs and unmodified plastic bulkheads. If you wanted to beef up the diffs for the brushed motor Leading Edge Machining does make a good diff cup and hardened gears that fit into the stock housings. I've been running my Summit completely stock for better than 2 years on brushed motors with absolutely no breakages and I'll tell ya, I don't baby it.

A short vid of the torque of a single KD700HO brushed motor on 4s in my stock Summit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KUFO0ntY4s

Last edited by mudbug85603; 03-05-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Tech Rookie

[QUOTE=mudbug85603;14431940]That's why I suggested running a brushed system. You could easily go back to stock diffs and unmodified plastic bulkheads. If you wanted to beef up the diffs for the brushed motor Leading Edge Machining does make a good diff cup and hardened gears that fit into the stock housings. I've been running my Summit completely stock for better than 2 years on brushed motors with absolutely no breakages and I'll tell ya, I don't baby it.

A short vid of the torque of a single KD700HO brushed motor on 4s in my stock Summit

My truck has the Castle momba monster. I could never pull that out and go backwards. I spent too much on it lol. I went through all that with factory diffs already. Aluminum cups, hardened gears and avid bearings. I really didn't want to loose the trencher tires as I think that is the biggest issue of my stock diffs not lasting. The truck is close to being bulletproof with the 1/8 diffs and aftermarket parts but dam bulkheads take me an hour to dremel and is getting old.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

My truck has the Castle momba monster. I could never pull that out and go backwards. I spent too much on it lol. I went through all that with factory diffs already. Aluminum cups, hardened gears and avid bearings. I really didn't want to loose the trencher tires as I think that is the biggest issue of my stock diffs not lasting. The truck is close to being bulletproof with the 1/8 diffs and aftermarket parts but dam bulkheads take me an hour to dremel and is getting old.
I can understand not wanting to go backwards. A Revo isn't a great choice to overpower though. With Traxxas using 1/10 scale diffs with less than great parts in a truck the size and weight of a Revo. Even the brushless systems that come stock are still too much. Unfortunately no one has come up with a good conversion for bulkheads/diffs. So that pretty much leaves you with limited options. Either fab new plastic bulkheads every time they break, downgrade the power, or spend big money and have someone machine an alloy bulk to accept the losi cases. Which could end up as disastrous from removing too much material like the plastic bulks.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did the losi diff mod on my ERBE and have had good luck on 6s. The trick to getting the bulkheads to survive longer is to remove more material from the losi diff case and less from the plastic bulk head. It's a fine line. I also filled the open space inside the bulk with hot glue to lock everything in place. Since doing the mod a few years ago, I only had to replace the front bulk once from a collision with a metal pipe sticking out of the ground.