Wiki Posts
Search

Gasoline monster truck?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Gasoline monster truck?

Been out of RC for alil, just wanting to know whats the best gasoline monster truck out on the market today?

Just looking to bash it, no racing or anything. Just fun.

Thanks
Old 01-27-2016, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I thought maybe the Savage Octane would be awesome but it looks like a lot of people have problems keeping that engine running.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

maybe redcat mcd, fg
Old 01-27-2016, 05:19 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hpi is has upgraded the the Octane. Now it will come with the break in procedure already done.

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/3-updated-...-shown-by-hpi/
Old 01-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

No point in gas for 1/8th. Both Losi and HPI tried it and they were massive flops.

Get a Savage X or Losi XXL roller and put in an LRP ZR.30X. Way easier to tune than those gas duds, and a lot more powerful and fast too. Too much BS from clueless electro newbs and LHS morons about how hard nitro supposedly is over the years. Simply not true.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
No point in gas for 1/8th. Both Losi and HPI tried it and they were massive flops.

Get a Savage X or Losi XXL roller and put in an LRP ZR.30X. Way easier to tune than those gas duds, and a lot more powerful and fast too. Too much BS from clueless electro newbs and LHS morons about how hard nitro supposedly is over the years. Simply not true.
Agree they flopped first time around. But both Losi and Hpi are trying. The Octane now comes already broken in. Plus OP did ask about gas powered.
I was on list for the Octane. Backed out when orders were finally taken. And after hearing one run, louder then any nitro I've heard, I made right choice. Suburbs and fuel powered RC don't mix. Would have violated noise ordinance anytime I ran.
Maybe Hpi figured out the issues with the Octane. With gas around $2.00 a gallon in the States. This is its best chance to sell. Now just have to wait for release dates.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 01-28-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:44 PM
Tech Champion

I still think gassers only make sense from 6th scale and up.. The whole concept of the Octane and XXL-2 was to play off the utterly bogus idea that nitro is too hard. And of course these gas conversion things were much harder than nitro ever was. The idea that nitro is hard is a lie spread by LHS guys too lazy to tune yet another junky Traxxas RTR, and the instant gratification juveniles who Traxxas targets, which unfortunately is a vast market. This has created a culture within RC which tricked HPI and Losi into releasing these two stupid trucks..

Yes, nitro fuel is expensive. It always has been. That can't be denied. So what.. Look at how expensive that stupid Losi oil was you were supposed to use with the XXL-2. Gas doesn't last as long I hear. It's potentially more dangerous with fire, etc. No quick running refills like with nitro. Etc. No it's not quite black and white. OK, I guess in an ideal world the gassers - the big, real ones - get longer run time.

Still, a big part of the problem with the image of nitro is that most of these inexperienced people who form opinions about it either have no real experience themselves, or have only heard about it or maybe seen it with others who are running garbage Traxxas engines!..

The LRP ZR.30X for ex. is massively powerful(WAY more than the Octane or XXL-2 engines will ever be..), not too expensive, and very, VERY easy to break in and tune. So my point is only, if you want a fuel-burning 8th scale RC, reconsider nitro and try to peer through all the BS spread by local hobby McChain shop employees and the simpletons they cater to.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just go electric. They are better in every way than nitro/gas nowadays. Much cheaper, much faster, no maintenance, no mess. Plus you can drive it anywhere without having to worry about noise.

The only reason to go with a fuel burning vehicle as a basher is if you actually like the noise, and own private property with no close neighbors.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:49 AM
Tech Champion

And the "only reason" to go electric is if you enjoy watching action movies and NFL games etc on mute...
Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MaxxGabriel
Just go electric. They are better in every way than nitro/gas nowadays. Much cheaper, much faster, no maintenance, no mess. Plus you can drive it anywhere without having to worry about noise.

The only reason to go with a fuel burning vehicle as a basher is if you actually like the noise, and own private property with no close neighbors.
They don't smoke
They don't smell
They re not loud
They have sometimes enough power to shred tires and melt diffs if not shimmed and assembled like a swiss watch ....
The batteries may catch on fire ...
The esc may fail or / and catch on fire ...
Some are not water resistant
Batteries have a limited life time ...

I wouldn't say theybareblower maintenance nor better .
You might prefer electric but both nitro or electric have pros and cons.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

And the "only reason" to go electric is if you enjoy watching action movies and NFL games etc on mute...
Hahahaah
I honestly enjoy my 1st brushless mostly because i can run it anywhere but i do miss nitro a lot.
It's all a matter of preference.
I d take an old muscle car over a Tesla any day.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 AM
Tech Champion

Exactly. Can you imagine a classic GTO or Chevelle for ex. without that deep engine rumble? Engine sound is of the essence when it comes to performance cars of any kind..

Formula 1 is boring enough with real engines. Who's going to watch it when it's all electric?

I'm not saying the interest of passersby is the main criteria of what I prefer to run, but at the local park where I go there are 6S Revos wheelying down the straight (when their diffs aren't exploded..) and nobody bats an eye*. A nitro at WOT though and they're stopping with their kids, pointing, coming up and asking you about them, etc. People like the sound of high performance. OK, maybe not in your neighborhood, but that's RC. Same with flying - gotta' go somewhere to do it. Part of the hobby...

* Except when they catch on fire maybe.. Seen it happen. OK, was an E-MAXX, but still..
Old 01-29-2016, 05:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Exactly. Can you imagine a classic GTO or Chevelle for ex. without that deep engine rumble? Engine sound is of the essence when it comes to performance cars of any kind..

Formula 1 is boring enough with real engines. Who's going to watch it when it's all electric?

I'm not saying the interest of passersby is the main criteria of what I prefer to run, but at the local park where I go there are 6S Revos wheelying down the straight (when their diffs aren't exploded..) and nobody bats an eye*. A nitro at WOT though and they're stopping with their kids, pointing, coming up and asking you about them, etc. People like the sound of high performance. OK, maybe not in your neighborhood, but that's RC. Same with flying - gotta' go somewhere to do it. Part of the hobby...

* Except when they catch on fire maybe.. Seen it happen. OK, was an E-MAXX, but still..
I've watched Formula E. It's intersting. It's not F1. But there something hypnotic watching it.
When I got in hobby never would have guessed I'd end up all electric. Tried few nitro vehicles. It didn't work where I, and the majority of people in the States live. And to have a vehicle that I would need to drive 30-50-100 miles to use. Just doesn't make sense.
And after 27 years working in Auto repair shops. The average person struggles to put air in tires, or check oil. Let alone take the time to learn to use a nitro RC. Add in the crazy schedules so many families have. Kids lucky to get 1/2 hour a week to drive an RC.
I'd hate to see it but could easily see in 5-10 years nitro being track only use in the States. That's if you have a track in reasonable area. Track by me lost a number of drivers when they ended indoor nitro few years ago. Outdoor only. And in Midwest, that means about 5 months of running, not including rain outs.
Have to wait and see how the Octane goes this time. Hpi had too much invested in it too just let it fade away. But have feeling that the past issues might be too much to overcome.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Champion

Sorry dude, that's totally exaggerated. If you wanted to run nitro you could do it easily enough, without having to drive "a 100 miles". I live in a flat in the city and have to lug everything up and down elevators etc.. every time I go run - nitro, electric, planes, whatever.. RC is not a freakin' video game. Fliers have been having to go in search of special RC flying fields for decades. That's life..

You also exaggerate how much there is to learn. I barely know how to check the air in my tires, but I can break in and tune a nitro engine. Yeah there's a learning curve, but that's not a bad thing. I'm into flying now, and the skill of flying takes learning too. What, you just going to blow it off because you have to learn something? A lot of hobbies require a lot of learning. Photography, basket-weaving, etc.. I would furthermore argue that actually learning something makes the hobby more rewarding than if all you have to do is flip a switch. I.e. the more you put in, the more you get out.. (as with most things in life..)

And yeah, you have a limited time of year you can run nitro. But that goes for electric too - and flying.. Wind's a bixxx.. I've just learned this year that electric isn't quite as user-friendly as it's always made out to be, as my lipos, now somewhat older, don't work quite as well in the winter. As in not at all last time out with my converted Tamiya truggy. So, I need new ones. And I'm learning that you actually have to plan more about when you want to drive, if you don't want to leave your lipos fully charged all the time(which I do), which for me is a big pain. Anyway, one of my main reasons for getting the MT4 G3 in the first place 2-3 years ago was to have something for the winter. Now I'm learning it's not quite that easy. Even assuming you find a way to make it less unpleasant to stand around in freezing temps outside doing anything...

If you wanted to run nitro you could. And if you'd ever had experience with decent nitro gear maybe you'd want to more. It's halfway understandable that people don't like nitro (enough to be more into it..) based on experience with Traxxas RTR junk. It's not understandable though that they don't look beyond Traxxas to other stuff which is much better and vastly better value for money.. If nitro were a quarter the hassle so many of you nitro-haters make out I would have nothing to do with it. Heck, excessive wrenching is one of the main reasons I gave up racing..(one of..) I am flat out lazy when it comes to excessive maintenance. Get the right stuff though and it's not needed!...
Old 01-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Tech Prophet

Oddly enuff I've got 2 dedicated flying fields within 10 miles. Just don't bring a mulitrotor. If the airplane or helicopter guys are flying, it's no go for quads.
Nearest track is 35 miles. I'll never give them a dollar after encounters with there members and store employees. It's an option shared by many in my area.
I do leave my lipos charged, ready to go. I work out in cold, so it's gotta be really bad, wind, to keep me from running.
I didn't say what was needed to learn nitro. Bought 2 used from friend in go working order. Got a few runs with them, but after second vist from police for noise complaint. They were shelved.
Maybe I'll give nitro another try. Just need to find a place away from people. Even the forest preserve parks all now have no motorized vehicle signs on paths and grass. So I don't even run electrics at them anymore.
Back to original post question. If you want gas powered, not nitro, then it's Hpi or Losi. Otherwise it's 1/5 scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.