Wiki Posts
Search

New 1/8 monster truck help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default New 1/8 monster truck help

Hey guys, I'm wanting to get a 1/8 monster truck and am torn between 3. The Savage Flux, Rival, or Cen Colossus. I know the Savage needs a few things done to it to make it bulletproof and the rival needs about $140 worth of upgrades. But for just bashing and tearing up the woods which is going to be the best bang for the buck?
Old 10-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devast8r3436
Hey guys, I'm wanting to get a 1/8 monster truck and am torn between 3. The Savage Flux, Rival, or Cen Colossus. I know the Savage needs a few things done to it to make it bulletproof and the rival needs about $140 worth of upgrades. But for just bashing and tearing up the woods which is going to be the best bang for the buck?
There actually is a monster truck category here, worth checking that out.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/monster-trucks-46/

Ive owned the Flux, and it definitely needs upgrades to make it dependable. Once you do these though (mostly diffs) its pretty much unbreakable.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Rookie

try a CEN Colossus. uses massive 7.5" tires so gets a ton of clearance for grass, dirt, fields, stone, etc. 8th scale, runs on 4s LiPO. doesn't break. all metal drivetrain.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:05 AM
Tech Adept

Does anyone have side by side pics of a colossus and a rival?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by devast8r3436
Does anyone have side by side pics of a colossus and a rival?
Same wheelbase, basically the same dimensions except the Colossus has larger diameter wheels and tires. The only durability issue I've read about the Colossus is the rod end on the upper suspension link is on the weak side. Cheap and easy part to replace, also shouldn't be too hard to find a stronger alternative that'll fit.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'd have to say buy a savage, I've driven quite a few 1/8ths and for me it's truggy/vs savage. I tend to prefer the latter truggys are kinda boring after a while. They are too well behaved IMO. If you want a clunky clumsy mt then a savage is right for you. They are tough, quick for their weight and size. An absolute blast to beat on. Shim the bulletproof diffs and run it till it breaks.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Savage all the way.. Ive been building them for years, i have had every savage Hpi has had to offer and i have to say when i sell my stuff and "Get out of the hobby" i always tend to fall back to the savages.. ive had Associated Mgts, losi lst's to name a couple, you name it ive had them all and ive built them all at one point and the savage is always the "go to" basher when "getting back in the hobby" and i have to add, the savage line of parts and upgrades is endless.. they did have problems with diffs at one time but i think they got that figured out now.. i just finished bulding a savage flux xl and it is awesome. i sold it, and i bought another savage x and plan on building it with a mod motor.. cant beat the savage in my opinion, and it never gets old.. good luck
Old 10-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

RIVAL all the way!!! ive had mine since the beginning of the season: i bashed it 2-3 times weekly on 6s. it took a beating after a beating. backflip after backflip, 30 gaps... nothing got in its way.

ive owned savages, emaxxs, summits, losi's... loved the RIVAL the most of them all.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

The electronic speed controller on the CEN is under rated the new HW can accomplish 5s and 6s lipo

Last edited by Keith B; 10-23-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: on the