Like Tree30Likes

Losi XXL2-E

Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM
Tech Adept

Default Losi XXL2-E

They are doing it! Dang this would have saved me money and I would still have it. If I hadn't just started getting ready to do a 8ight build I would put it on order!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/1-8-lst-xxl2-e-rtr-electric-4wd-mt-with-avc-los04004?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Spot5&utm_campaign=07022015_Surface&_bta_tid=3.cUw.B2OhUw.FzLs.AT4aOg..AgWcnw.b..s.Ajs L.a.VZWdUQ.VZWdUQ.3Yibxg&_bta_c=equavtj159rv7hlf19oizfq7prydu
Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Tech Champion

Wow..... Finally.. 'Bout four years too late. But good to see it. Good on 'em..

I like the way it looks.. (I like the body better than the fugly XXL and XXL-2 pickups...) OK, it's a flashlight, but still... Good for parts availability I hope...

Still waiting for a nitro version with the ZR.30X rebadged as a Losi engine....
Old 07-02-2015, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Wow..... Finally.. 'Bout four years too late. But good to see it. Good on 'em..

I like the way it looks.. (I like the body better than the fugly XXL and XXL-2 pickups...) OK, it's a flashlight, but still... Good for parts availability I hope...

Still waiting for a nitro version with the ZR.30X rebadged as a Losi engine....
We will probably see a solar powered hydrogen version before another nitro if it took them this long for electric! However I hope this means losi understands what the public wanted and parts support will remain strong for years to come.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

It is about time. I'm a little disappointed the battery is still out back but at least it's not on top of the motor like the old Losi conversion. I was hoping they would've made it like other LST electric conversions with the battery up front and motor out back or a layout like the Rival's. I would've liked to swap an electric specific chassis onto my truck (to get rid of all the unnecessary holes) but I'll wait until I see some handling reviews posted first. It'll be interesting to see if other motor mounts like TDR's fit up front for those wanting to put big motors like the 1717 in there.

A quick look at the parts listing shows 24/66 gearing. It's unclear what bevel gears are used in the trans as the listing just says "LST/2, XXL/2" with no tooth count given. I'd assume they're LST2 or XXL otherwise top speed would be too high for the 2200kv motor or 6s.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:22 PM
Tech Champion

A nitro would be easy..(especially given what a flop the gas is...) Rebrand the LRP 30 (like they did the LRP 28 Spec 3) and use old parts, done. There is demand too. Now it's pretty much just Savages available gor nitro MT's, but of course LST's are better than Savages..
Old 07-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

everything is flipped compared to my e xxl tranny , spur motor is on opposite side which puts the motor towards the front and the lipos towards the rear

my motor tranny spur are on right hand side

I like the vented motor sleeve but wish they would have vent slotted the top then added some threaded holes to mount a fan on it

Also I would have liked to see a C.D..... guess they had a bunch of chassis laying around from their failed gasser xxl 2

Last edited by Drool'z4G3; 07-02-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Champion

And the XXL,which was out for several years prior to the XXL-2..
Old 07-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this layout looks very well balanced compared to motor towards rear and lipos towards front or motor towards rear and lipos at rear
Attwell likes this.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drool'z4G3
everything is flipped compared to my e xxl tranny , spur motor is on opposite side which puts the motor towards the front and the lipos towards the rear

my motor tranny spur are on right hand side

I like the vented motor sleeve but wish they would have vent slotted the top then added some threaded holes to mount a fan on it

Also I would have liked to see a C.D..... guess they had a bunch of chassis laying around from their failed gasser xxl 2
Originally Posted by Drool'z4G3

this layout looks very well balanced compared to motor towards rear and lipos towards front or motor towards rear and lipos at rear
I don't have a scale to weigh my components, nor am I going to remove them to weigh them or look up weights. I'm just used to my layout and I like the lipo being up front which can be heavier (depending on the pack) to help tame wheelies and add on power steering. Overall it is a very balanced and centralized layout with a low center of gravity, way better than the old conversion kit.

Have a look at the bare main chassis plate in the parts section. It's an all new chassis with nothing in common with the XXL2 chassis besides the color. Can't rotate the transmission 180 degrees without a totally new chassis. The center skid plate can just be rotated 180 degrees though so that's the same as the old one. I'd really like a chassis like this one that doesn't have all the extra nitro cutouts in it, I just don't want to change my layout or have to make a new motor mount. It's tempting to give it a shot though, maybe over the winter I'll take the plunge. Or maybe I'll finally convert to a center diff, who knows.

I agree with you on the motor mount. It's actually a lot like the old conversion mount except now it's split into 2 pieces. The mount still uses thermal tape to take up the gap between the mount and the motor like the old conversion mount too. In my experience with the old conversion mount it held heat in compared to open designs. Hopefully the holes drilled in the chassis are in the same locations so owners can bolt in existing aftermarket mounts like those from TDR and RC-Monster.

A big bonus of this truck is the fact the Losi single speed will be available again. It's not as pretty as TDR's but it's cheaper and way better than the JB Weld method of making your own.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I would agree...first impressions...wish the batteries were at the front. Time will tell.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

what do u all think of the price?
Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chazekxt
what do u all think of the price?
I think it's a fair price maybe a tad high (because no batts included). IMHO it's in line with how other LST's have been priced. It's priced as a premium unit which I would agree with when comparing it to Traxxas products.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Tech Adept

hi,

losi electric xxl-2 is long (724mm) correct?
losi xxl-2 gasoline is long (584mm) correct?

greetings
Old 07-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

wonder if the diffs in this truck are bad, or will they actually last a while? I got rid of my 1/8th scales because of all the diff exploding.

Last edited by Grizzbob; 11-03-2015 at 11:45 PM. Reason: language
Old 07-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wilsonj1018
wonder if the diffs in this truck are bad, or will they actually last a while? I got rid of my 1/8th scales because of all the diff exploding.
The XXL2e diffs are the same as the previous LST's. That's not a bad thing though. The diffs in my XXL have Losi HD diff cups (not yet sure if XXL2e has them) with a good shim job and they've held up just fine to a bigger Castle 1717 motor on 6s. My nephews LST stock diffs with non HD cups had a ton of play in them due to more wear on the teeth than I'd like. But after tightening them up with a good shim job they've held for 3 years to a Castle 1515 2200kv (same motor as XXL2e) on 4s without issue.

Honestly, if you want any diff to last, especially 1/8 brushless, you need to shim it well. Yeah it should've been done properly at the factory but it may not be the best it can be that'll wear and fail sooner than it should. Or you could get the one the factory worker rushed to get done before punching out for lunch or going home with a short fuse waiting to lit by the first pack you plug in. So take apart those brand new diffs and do a good shim job or at least check and see how good the factory job is before running it.

Last edited by Grizzbob; 11-03-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.