Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendation on Basher

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

since you like Team Associated.. why not get the Associated Rival? I liked it so much that i bought one for my gf too
Old 06-12-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks guys for the continued feedback, all is welcome.

Thought I would add some perspective to the conversation...

When you start looking at bashing, crawling and rock racing you see a different world to the competitive track racing world. You actually get a feel of how important the scale looks are as well as the function of the car.

With that in mind, I do like the look of the yeti despite its reliability flaws, with the right key hop ups on the dog bones, drive shafts and steering assembly it looks like it can be made to be bullet proof.

With the sensored, I mention it as speed is not that important, I get the speed from the B5M, this is about bashing fun, I dont think I'll be hitting 30ft jumps, more like 4ft jumps. Sensored will give me that lower speed control, along with maybe the 2 speed gearbox perhaps for some scale fun at both low end speed and bashing speed.

Dont forget that one of the requirements was kit too, I'm old school, I like the journey of building this in the evenings over a couple of weeks and getting to know the vehicle :-).

I was thinking of Tekin RX8 and a Pro4HD motor, if it fits, I like the alternative of maybe going Castle as that is what Axial rebrand.

Just want some nice scale fun, I wont be going nuts by driving it at 40mph against a rock face... just asking for trouble :-). I'll hit it at 5mph and then accelerate up.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My 4 year old son and I just finished putting together ax axial scx 10 wrangler rubicon kit an he loves it. I was fun putting together the roller with him. I took care of soldering the electronics and trimming and painting the body. He picked out the colors and I painted it like he wanted. The whole purpose was that it's for him not me. I tried to do a little different build and not use all high end stuff like I usually do. I used the stock servo I had from my savage flux hp, hobby wing brushed speed controller and yeah racing 35t motor ($40 for the motor and esc). I got a tactic txx 300 for $45 from tower. It was the cheapest that had EPA adjustments. And I used a castle external bec in case we decide to go 3s someday. I powered it with a racers edge 2s lipo. Definitely fast enough for him to use without being too fast and running into something and having a pile of parts to deal with. Only hang up was the insanely difficult body to trim out. Not to mention the 50 holes that have to be put in the body for the attachments. From what I learned from trimming the body I would do it all over again and not think twice about it.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by ghonda99
My 4 year old son and I just finished putting together ax axial scx 10 wrangler rubicon kit an he loves it. I was fun putting together the roller with him. I took care of soldering the electronics and trimming and painting the body. He picked out the colors and I painted it like he wanted. The whole purpose was that it's for him not me. I tried to do a little different build and not use all high end stuff like I usually do. I used the stock servo I had from my savage flux hp, hobby wing brushed speed controller and yeah racing 35t motor ($40 for the motor and esc). I got a tactic txx 300 for $45 from tower. It was the cheapest that had EPA adjustments. And I used a castle external bec in case we decide to go 3s someday. I powered it with a racers edge 2s lipo. Definitely fast enough for him to use without being too fast and running into something and having a pile of parts to deal with. Only hang up was the insanely difficult body to trim out. Not to mention the 50 holes that have to be put in the body for the attachments. From what I learned from trimming the body I would do it all over again and not think twice about it.
I'm working to give them enjoyment and exposure at this age so they have the bug by the time they are 4/5. In the meantime I can have fun with some adult worthy bashing :-)
Old 06-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Having read around I want to buy with the long term in mind, getting a handle of what most people seem to be using in the Yeti I think I'm going to go for the following ESC/Motor combination;

Tekin RX8 Gen 2 & Tekin Pro4HD 3000kV

2S should still be ok with this, don't think I need 3S high voltage speeds.

Last edited by bizarrefish; 06-14-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Change of information
Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

How about Hobao MT? but it's just 1/8 scale.