Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nitro Vs Electric

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

maximize I been into RC for over 35 years and owned hundreds of RC's Todays electric RC dominate nitro you can't compare a entry level old stampede with a 20turn stinger motor.
If you had a 1/8 scale buggy same chassis lets say ofna brand for a example and you hooked one up with the best nitro motor and accessories available today and then you hooked up the other same chassis ofna buggy with the best brushless components and lipo packs available today the electric version would BLOW the doors off the nitro version.

I have nitros and electric like I said in my other posts and like them both but for all out crazy speed nothing will beat a brushless powered RC it will go fast and get to the top speed much faster than a nitro.

also isn't the RC speed world record held by electric?
Old 04-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reptile
Yes of course. Nic Case went 202 mph.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Electric or Nitro all that really matters in the end is wether or not you are enjoying your R/C and having fun , which is the whole point of the hobby IMO .

It's really a lost cause to argue with true nitro heads as they will be as loud and blow just as much hot air as their R/Cs do !
Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 AM
EG1
Tech Regular

I enjoy my eLST2 and LST2 equally. Needed electric for camping fun though. With properly setup diffs both trucks have been rock solid, luckily, because I hate having to "wrench" on my RC's.

If you want all out top end then yes electric is the ticket, but that gets real old, real fast.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

On an offroad track a brushless is not usually faster than a nitro. More weight, instant torque just causing tires to spin, etc.

And again, a flashlight is only really faster on 5s or 6s, and then you start seeing increased wear and tear. All the videos I've seen of MT4 G3's going up in flames btw have been on 5s....

I was just out running my MT4 G3 and broke a hinge-pin(updated Axial part over the supposedly weak stock ones..)

And still, in the end, even if your flashlight is so fast it teleports, for me it's about as dull as watching paint dry compared to the glorious screaming sound of a good, well-running nitro revving to 30k+ RPM's...
Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay well I've been shopping around and I've been finding used flux hp and e-revo brushless in the $500-600 range. To me it doesn't seem worth buying used as I'll save less than a hundred bucks over buying new. Flux go on towers is 630 plus I have a coupon code to bring it into the $500. Revo will be $100 more. Doesn't seem to be worth gambling on a used truck to find out something else is wrong with it and end up spending more to repair that.

Now what else would I need to buy? Which 2s Lipos? Which 3s Lipos? Which charger? I'll probably run 3s since I have a bit of experience. Just will be a bit light on the throttle my first few times till I'm comfortable. I have a feeling I'll end up with the flex. I've had better experience with the hpi and I like the option to convert it into a xl and it'll be still cheaper than the revo.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Stay away from the Traxxas E-Revo. It's a very old design, tons of plastic, and weak diffs.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

On 4s the EREVO is decent and dependable , but 6s will kill it pretty quickly if your not careful .

If Losi would get off their collective butts and put out a factory built E LST2 that would be the truck to have . I love my converted LST2 and still run it on a regular basis .
Old 04-25-2015, 10:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

cool e-revo is out of the mix. so the savage flux HP should be able to handle 6s decently?
Old 04-26-2015, 03:03 AM
Tech Regular

maximize I been into RC for over 35 years and owned hundreds of RC's Todays electric RC dominate nitro you can't compare a entry level old stampede with a 20turn stinger motor.
If you had a 1/8 scale buggy same chassis lets say ofna brand for a example and you hooked one up with the best nitro motor and accessories available today and then you hooked up the other same chassis ofna buggy with the best brushless components and lipo packs available today the electric version would BLOW the doors off the nitro version.

I have nitros and electric like I said in my other posts and like them both but for all out crazy speed nothing will beat a brushless powered RC it will go fast and get to the top speed much faster than a nitro.

Oh yea I know that brushless can be faster than nitro for sure. I was saying my T will destroy any brushed 1/8 scale MT, not brushless. I know a good brushless set up will beat mine. I'm not bashing them, either. I have respect for everyone's machines, especially ones that are faster than what I have. I hate Chevy cars with a passion, but have respect for a nicely built Chevy classic as much as Fords or Dodges. We're all children of the wind to coin a biker term. My point is that saying nitro is by default slower than brushless or inferior is simply not true. Both platforms have their ups and downs, and both can be faster than the other. Speed to me is not the most important factor anyways, I can have just as much fun with an old, tired .15 T Maxx as I can with a 60 mph MT. What I personally really like is mechanical things, engines of all makes and sizes from the 460 BB in my Galaxie 500 down to the little .28 in the T Maxx. Imagine if you will taking a 1969 Corvette Stingray and dumping the 427 big block in it for a Tesla powertrain, basically ruins the whole car.

My main point was that the price is generally higher to start with if you want to match or beat the power of a similar nitro MT with an electric and their can be just as much BS involved in electric. And brushed will always be slower so expensive brushless trucks are the only way to have more power than a nitro. Electronics can often be more complicated than mechanical stuff as anybody who has traced wiring gremlins in an old car will know. I'd take another old 20 turn Stampede over a brushless LiPO truck any day actually, less to worry about and by far cheaper to start with My next electric truck will be and will stay brushed and likely never see a LiPO battery either, maybe LiFE at best. I'm liking the Stampede XL5 4x4, that's most likely what I'll be looking at for an electric when I get one.

Last edited by Maxximize; 04-26-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

My Chevy

Originally Posted by Maxximize
Oh yea I know that brushless can be faster than nitro for sure. I was saying my T will destroy any brushed 1/8 scale MT, not brushless. I know a good brushless set up will beat mine. I'm not bashing them, either. I have respect for everyone's machines, especially ones that are faster than what I have. I hate Chevy cars with a passion, but have respect for a nicely built Chevy classic as much as Fords or Dodges. We're all children of the wind to coin a biker term. My point is that saying nitro is by default slower than brushless or inferior is simply not true. Both platforms have their ups and downs, and both can be faster than the other. Speed to me is not the most important factor anyways, I can have just as much fun with an old, tired .15 T Maxx as I can with a 60 mph MT. What I personally really like is mechanical things, engines of all makes and sizes from the 460 BB in my Galaxie 500 down to the little .28 in the T Maxx. Imagine if you will taking a 1969 Corvette Stingray and dumping the 427 big block in it for a Tesla powertrain, basically ruins the whole car.

My main point was that the price is generally higher to start with if you want to match or beat the power of a similar nitro MT with an electric and their can be just as much BS involved in electric. And brushed will always be slower so expensive brushless trucks are the only way to have more power than a nitro. Electronics can often be more complicated than mechanical stuff as anybody who has traced wiring gremlins in an old car will know. I'd take another old 20 turn Stampede over a brushless LiPO truck any day actually, less to worry about and by far cheaper to start with My next electric truck will be and will stay brushed and likely never see a LiPO battery either, maybe LiFE at best. I'm liking the Stampede XL5 4x4, that's most likely what I'll be looking at for an electric when I get one.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Adept

My Chevy
Nice car!
I bet you can hear that thing coming.
Feel the power of 8 cylinders roaring out the exhaust.
No electric car can put a smile on your dial, like a V8 can.
The sound and vibration is the real deal! And even though it might not be the fastest, it will still put you back in your seat, with a big grin on your face.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My Chevy
Great looking 2nd gen reptile! Always been a huge Camaro fan.

Here's a shot of my 5th gen Chevy

Old 04-26-2015, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

My 1999 model Holden VT Commodore GTO
Old 04-26-2015, 08:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ausprime
My 1999 model Holden VT Commodore GTO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.