Wiki Posts
Search

savage 21 ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Talking savage 21 ??

Just picked up a 21 savage in a trade.I think the front diff is bad.My question is will the XL diffs work in the 21?and is this a short chassis and the xl a longer version ? I know nothing about them as far as what parts work and don't.I see the bullet proof diffs on the ebay that say 4.6 XL will they work in my 21 ?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Machined bulletproof diff gears -come in Flux and newer XL, black gears 29 ring 9 pinion (29/9)

Sintered bulletproof diff gears - Newer Savage X, silver gears 29 ring 9 pinion

21,25,SS,old X all use a 43 ring 13 pinion (43/13) and there are different versions, one is even a machined super HD version and that is what you should do if you choose not to upgrade to the 29/9 setup.

You would need to change both diffs if you upgrade to the newer bulkier diffs, since the ratio is different from your old diffs. I know the Flux and XL use larger outdrive cups for the larger axles too, so think about that if you buy a whole front/rear takeout off an ebay chop shop.

A newer X uses the same size outdrives as your 21, I THINK but not sure...
Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Tech Champion

There are likely also differences in arms and bumpers etc. On the one hand I agree - just get whole front and rear ends... But on the other, that might cost more than what you paid for the truck. The Savage 21 didn't have easy access diffs either, so gonna' be a lot f work. Not trying to shoot you down here - just saying, gonna' take some money and wrenching to get it going. The cheapest and simplest way would probably be to just buy a couple complete Savage X diffs off ebay and install them...

On the plus side, assuming it's in good condition, the old Savages had better plastic than the X-generation Savages. IMO.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:15 AM
Tech Regular

Actually The diffs may be OK...As far as a money pit I gave a used battery charger for it...It needs a battery box a linkage kit and an engine I have a couple mills in mind.I'm guessing not so big on the engine with the old style diffs?And can I just drop the newer diffs in the older cases ?...It's really in pretty good shape just oily and dirty.Is a .32 going to be too much on the old style diffs?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Initiate

That is a lot of engine proposed...sweet!
Old 03-30-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

If I was you, and the diffs indeed are OK, just spend the money on the engine you want and go from there. I ran a strong picco .28 in a bone stock Savage 21 for 2 summers without a single diff issue.

I was expecting the diffs to fail but they just never did.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

thank you guys ...I like the .32 force,They tune very easy and never ever lack in torq...And they don't break the bank.Parts are everywhere.......And the huge size looks awesome in MT's...Oh Yeah anyone have a radio tray top cover lying around for the 21 model?