Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

Tekno ET48 Build - TP 4070

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah I have an 8ight-T, build thread is on here (MT section) too.

With a little bit of luck and/or ingenuity, you might be able to run the Losi or Durango cups in your cars. Otherwise, doesn't innovativeRC make some alu diff cups for RC8 or TT? I think I saw timritchieblue running those on his RC8T in a thread here somewhere. Technically, the steel inserts should be better, but alu cups might already solve your problem?
Old 01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dr_T
Yeah I have an 8ight-T, build thread is on here (MT section) too.

With a little bit of luck and/or ingenuity, you might be able to run the Losi or Durango cups in your cars. Otherwise, doesn't innovativeRC make some alu diff cups for RC8 or TT? I think I saw timritchieblue running those on his RC8T in a thread here somewhere. Technically, the steel inserts should be better, but alu cups might already solve your problem?
I would like to get those innovative Rc cups. Right now their website shows them out of stock. I measured the Losi cups at my LHS and they are 1mm different on the hole spacing from the AE cups. Maybe the whole ring/diff cup would fit in my AE/TT trucks, I'm not sure. I just know that I like 6s power, but don't like burning through spider gears all the time.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I'd like to see a video of that thing...
I plan to.

Happy new year man, looking good!

That's super light-weight, mine weighs over a kg more and I think xmods MP9 buggy even weighs more no? Wonder where Tekno gets those weight savings; chassis is less wide obviously, but that should not make such a huge difference. How much more does your 6S battery weigh compare to that 4S you weighed it with?

Did you decide on the diffs yet? FWIW, I'm going to run 40k rear and 80k front, center stays 2000k as is. Pulled my diffs and my 10k rear appeared to be completely empty, so I thought I'd up it all a bit. The gears did not look that bad at all, although the front ring/pinion have some more irregular wear pattern (more "chippy") compared to rears.

What was a bit more worrying was that 3 out of my 4 outdrives (1x rear, 2x front) had chips off the holes... not sure what to make of that yet. Got my truck used, so maybe they were just over their expiration date (not willing to accept the TP4070 on 6S is too much yet ); I'll try some new outdrives and see how it goes. Very interested in hearing your results!
Turnigy Nano-Tech 4S 4400mah 65/130C Battery, 527g
Turnigy Nano-Tech 6S 5000mah 65/130C Battery, 846g
Proline Dish Wheel & Proline Blockade Tire, 183g ea.
Proline Desperado Wheel & Proline Badlands Tire, 263g ea. (taped)

That's 639g or 1.40 lbs in weight difference. So now it weighs 10.25 lbs in beast mode. Tekno made this platform as light as possible without sacrificing strength. There's weight savings all over the place starting with the chassis. I haven't made a decision on the diff oil yet.

Hope 0verkill doesn't mind too much I'm polluting his thread, but here's the measurements of the stock Losi 8ight ones I took once for someone - HD ones should be same as it is drop-in replacement. All measurements below are in mm. I think the Durango DEX408(T) has metal insert diffs too, in case anyone's looking for alternatives.
Not at all, the more shared information the better, thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Gorilla taped

Bob Smith Industries CA Glue (rubber toughened)

Waiting for tires to dry and it's wet outside
6S battery is ready

Old 01-03-2015, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

That looks awesome! Hope you can get a running vid for us
Old 01-04-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

sorry to say, but IMO taping tires is a really silly thing to do...... doesn't help anything and ends up causing issues ....Iwould remove that crap before I glued those tires..... taping tires is what the MT guys who also goop their engines with silicone do...ends up causing far more issues then the small issue it was intended to solve..... careful what you read on the internet, the guys whose instructions your readin may actually know less then you do....
Old 01-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Maximo
sorry to say, but IMO taping tires is a really silly thing to do...... doesn't help anything and ends up causing issues ....Iwould remove that crap before I glued those tires..... taping tires is what the MT guys who also goop their engines with silicone do...ends up causing far more issues then the small issue it was intended to solve..... careful what you read on the internet, the guys whose instructions your readin may actually know less then you do....
That's not true. I know from years of experience that taping tires helps reduce ballooning. You have to do it correctly.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

[QUOTE=0verkill;13759772]That's not true. I know from years of experience that taping tires helps reduce ballooning. You have to do it correctly.[/QUOTE

Bad idea on a Truggy, but what would I know !

there is no advantage to reducing tire expansion with a truggy, in fact having the front expand some helps the handling and ability to go over rougher terrain....Thousands of racers run truggy and not a single one tapes the tires....taping tires is a relic from the MT days when guys were gooping engines with silicone, before anyone really knew any better
Old 01-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

are those the wrong offset for the truggy ? looks wider then it should ?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with overkill taping tires does prevent ballon
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stupid iphone. Anyways taping tires is effective for preventing balloning. The gorilla tape works extremely well. He is using it for a basher not a racer so off-road ability is it's primary function. And if someone wants to tape their tires let them it's not right to berate someone for doing what they want.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ghonda99
Stupid iphone. Anyways taping tires is effective for preventing balloning. The gorilla tape works extremely well. He is using it for a basher not a racer so off-road ability is it's primary function. And if someone wants to tape their tires let them it's not right to berate someone for doing what they want.
Not berating....

Just saying taping tires isn't needed in a truggy, if anything it takes away from its handling and offroad ability...in other words taping the tires doesn't help anything, it hurts...So if he hadn't glued them up yet it would be extremely wise to tear that tape out.....sorry its the truth, its nothing personal, just trying to save the guy some hassles doing something that is only going to hurt him down the road.....
Old 01-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

there is no advantage to reducing tire expansion with a truggy, in fact having the front expand some helps the handling and ability to go over rougher terrain....Thousands of racers run truggy and not a single one tapes the tires....taping tires is a relic from the MT days when guys were gooping engines with silicone, before anyone really knew any better
It doesn't matter what kind of car it is. There's a reason why I posted this thread in the monster truck section. The Badlands will be used for off road bashing because that's what their made for. There's several advantages to having tires that don't balloon and I've destroyed several tires because they weren't taped. I don't know if you read my first post or not but I'm not using a weak racer motor with a 15T pinion. I'm using a 40x102mm can with a 23T pinion on 6S. It will obliterate tires. For track only truggies that see slow speeds, there's no reason to tape tires.

are those the wrong offset for the truggy ? looks wider then it should ?
Yes, they're the wrong wheel for the truggy.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

What!? You're not gonna race this truggy on a track??? You're such an amateur 0verkill, I'll unsubscribe immediately from all this blasphemic nonsense!!!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=Maximo;13759829]
Originally Posted by 0verkill
That's not true. I know from years of experience that taping tires helps reduce ballooning. You have to do it correctly.[/QUOTE

maximo you're right , a light ballooning does help on the track
but with twice as much power as a regular truggy and on open fields, taping tires is necessary. Even a proline badland with its harder compound baloons until it goes off the Wheel, so you have to prevent it.

Big motors and big lipo bring extrem solutions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.