Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage XS Flux vs Losi Mini 8ight-T >

HPI Savage XS Flux vs Losi Mini 8ight-T

HPI Savage XS Flux vs Losi Mini 8ight-T

Old 07-03-2014, 04:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HPI Savage XS Flux vs Losi Mini 8ight-T

Needed advice on which of these two to pick. Torn between the Flux XS and the Mini 8ight Truggy.

I know that XS had ESC issues in the past which I know have been resolved but would like to hear from People who have owned both or at least one these two RCs

What seems like more fun and more durable?
Old 07-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

i tested the mini 8 once and it really handles like a buggy, not a toy. don't know the xs but the center of gravity seems way higher !
Old 07-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by werner sline
i tested the mini 8 once and it really handles like a buggy, not a toy. don't know the xs but the center of gravity seems way higher !
Thanks. I have the Mini 8ight and it's by far one of the most durable and fun rigs I've owned. I'm curious about the Mini 8ight T though.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Adept

These two rigs are pretty opposite so I would ask yourself what you want to do with them and then decide. The Losi is designed for a track first and the Savage is designed for a back yard/bashing use first. I think you have picked two great rigs so you're not making a bad choice as long as you match them to the use you want.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default not in the same class

The two vehicles you are choosing from are not even in the same class. They are two different beasts. One is a Monster Truck and the other is a Truggy. I agree with previous poster who said the HPI MT is a backyard basher and the Losi Mini-8T more suited on an off road track. Decide on your needs.

Both rigs are durable but not indestructible. Expect breakage if you push them too hard.

I own two HPI Savage XS SS kits. Fun to build. Tough bashers but I have had a few minor repairs needed due to bad driving.

I own a pair of Tacon 1/12 Thriller SCTs. More closer to the Losi Mini-8 than my MTs.

If I had the opportunity I would jump on the Losi Mini Truggies. They look like the best compromise in the mini arena. Small size, great quality and support, will handle moderate bashing & racing. Price is fair for all you get.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by PhilippineEagle
The two vehicles you are choosing from are not even in the same class. They are two different beasts. One is a Monster Truck and the other is a Truggy. I agree with previous poster who said the HPI MT is a backyard basher and the Losi Mini-8T more suited on an off road track. Decide on your needs.

Both rigs are durable but not indestructible. Expect breakage if you push them too hard.

I own two HPI Savage XS SS kits. Fun to build. Tough bashers but I have had a few minor repairs needed due to bad driving.

I own a pair of Tacon 1/12 Thriller SCTs. More closer to the Losi Mini-8 than my MTs.

If I had the opportunity I would jump on the Losi Mini Truggies. They look like the best compromise in the mini arena. Small size, great quality and support, will handle moderate bashing & racing. Price is fair for all you get.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Just for the record, I never said anything about picking between two options from the same class

I have the Mini 8ight and though it's not a typical Basher, I still Bash the daylights out of it and barley give it any track time.

The decision is based purely on scale, durability and most definitely fun factor. I like that the 8T can still have track time under its belt but am strongly considering the XS for pure purpose of abuse.

Keep the suggestions coming
Old 07-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Careful with the mini 8ight t, both my buddy's bought them brand new and they hate the gyro, both broke in the first lap...and that's at a track. Motor is way too small too, plan on that as part of your budget, again also they hated the gyro. Mini 8ight buggy on the other hand is an excellent basher while remaining track friendly and the esc/motor is a great compliment to the size.
Don't know much about the xs, always wanted one, but the difficulty in getting to the guts has kept me from pulling the trigger.
Why is the mini revo series not on your list?!?! If you're looking in those categories, I'd toss that little guy in the mix.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Careful with the mini 8ight t, both my buddy's bought them brand new and they hate the gyro, both broke in the first lap...and that's at a track. Motor is way too small too, plan on that as part of your budget, again also they hated the gyro. Mini 8ight buggy on the other hand is an excellent basher while remaining track friendly and the esc/motor is a great compliment to the size.
Don't know much about the xs, always wanted one, but the difficulty in getting to the guts has kept me from pulling the trigger.
Why is the mini revo series not on your list?!?! If you're looking in those categories, I'd toss that little guy in the mix.
Thanks for the tip on the 8ight T.

I own and love my Mini 8ight Buggy and you're right in saying that it's both a Great Basher as well as on the Track.

Traxxas is off the list bcs it needs way too many upgrades to make it decently durable.

That's what I really like about the XS is that it's a brick straight out the box. Like yourself I've just been a little delayed on pulling the trigger on it but it's time to do so

Thanks for your post
Old 07-06-2014, 04:20 AM
Tech Master

Keep this thread alive when you get it. I'd like to hear your take on the xs. As much as I loved my mini 8ight, it was too small for me when all was said and done so I sold it....then bought another and sold it too. The mini 8ight t (IMO) was a dramatic fail on losi's behalf. They changed none of the well known problems of the mini 8ight, made it a pound heavier and didn't even give us a bigger motor esc or even battery holder. Boo on losi.

Keep me posted on how it goes, I'll follow your lead if you like it!
Old 07-06-2014, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lemonader83
Keep this thread alive when you get it. I'd like to hear your take on the xs. As much as I loved my mini 8ight, it was too small for me when all was said and done so I sold it....then bought another and sold it too. The mini 8ight t (IMO) was a dramatic fail on losi's behalf. They changed none of the well known problems of the mini 8ight, made it a pound heavier and didn't even give us a bigger motor esc or even battery holder. Boo on losi.

Keep me posted on how it goes, I'll follow your lead if you like it!

Thanks Buddy - Will definitely keep you posted on The XS as soon as I get it.

I'll be putting up Videos and Reviews as I do for all My RCs on My YouTube Channel as well:

https://www.youtube.com/user/taimurutube

Thanks
Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

these two trucks are completely different animals i have owned both and the xs is bigger and is designed for bashing while the mini 8ight platform is deisnged for racing while i have raced and bashed both its not really fair to compare if you are torn i would buy one first and then the other later
Old 07-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I owned both the Savage XS and the Mini 8ight buggy. The Savage was one of the sickest little trucks Ive ever had! And Ive had several now over the years. I got it as a almost new roller and installed a 5645MG servo, Castle MMP and 4 pole 3800kv motor it was a MONSTER on 2s. So fast with stock gearing. Limited with gearing and that sucks. The only upgrade I made was TRX steel steering links and over the course of about year- year n half I broke the rear carrier once! Other than that I stripped out the steel bevel gear in front diff somewhere in the middle of owning. Thats it! Cheap to beat on and maintain! If you buy RTR plan on upgrading servo. I read it was weak. Which most RTR servos are worthless.
The 8ight I bought was early in its release. Sick little car, but had problems and neededb upgrades. Steering was crap. I had to upgrade servo and saver to get the car to keep strait. That was BS! Front tower bent easily IMO. I had to buy carbon fiber tower after bending two. I also had to upgrade the ESC. It cogged to much for my liking. I dont know if the electronics issues have been resolved in the newer Mini 8ight T. My buggy was heavily upgraded in the end. I made upgrades on parts that didnt break and some on parts that did. Snapped front hinge pin retainer and carrier if Im not mistaken. Its been ahwile.
If you are looking for a basher, go with XS. If your gonna run on a track more often and bash a little go with 8ight. Im sure youd have a good time just bashing the 8ight, but youll be needing new tires after the street eats the pins off tires in a few quick runs. Damage depends on you I guess
Old 07-06-2014, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Guys!

I think it's going to be the XS first
Though I'm still eager to hear more from everyone about the 8ight T and thei experience with it.

I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a good waterproof servo upgrade for the XS that would fit and has good torque?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

If you stick to 2s lipo, sidewinder v3. If you wanna run 3S, I would look at the hobbyking we esc's in the 60-80a range. those esc's have more punch than I ever expected and their fans actually cool the esc...unlike most where it's just there and turning...no noticeable air flow.

3s will smoke a sidewinder over and over again...and without question are less powerful than "similar products" from hobbyking for far less money.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

Traxxas 2075s are great, waterproof and digital.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.