Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Savage octane CDI production date

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi

Old thread, I noticed, but still.

I just checked out my CDI according to the test from Frank, I have no spark inside the cap so that's good in step 2. I didn't however hear a snap/crack.
I proceeded to step 3 anyway, and there was a good spark between the screw driver and the cap. So I take it my CDI is working fine.

That brings a couple of questions.

I noticed to night some servo twitching, I have not seen that before. What could be the cause of that, the CDI just tested ok?

Given that the spark jumps 5-6mm from the screw driver to the cap, would there be some draw back increasing the gap of the spark plug from 0,3mm to something like 0,6-0,7mm?

I am in the middle of break-in with my Octane, and now I am in a situation where the car starts and then stalls. The carb is in factory setting, and I have tried some adjustments in various directions to see what that gives, but no difference. CDI checks out ok, and batteries are fully charged. I am running on alkylate petrol properly mixed.

What could be the issue with the car constantly stalling right after start?

Last edited by thomasx; 04-28-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Have you tried replacing the spark plug? Spark plugs have a carbon powder core, and they can go bad. ie spark gets to them, but won't pass through the carbon to the tip. I wouldn't increase the spark gap, because this causes the cdi or coil to have to pump up the voltage to jump the gap. It's harder on the cdi.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Yepp, it's an NGK CM6 plug in it now, and it seems to be good sparks delivered by the plug.

I just figured since 5-6mm didn't seem to be an issue at all, that increasing from 0,3 to 0,6 would be ok. On the other hand, I did try that and it didn't seem to do any difference on the start-stall issue or the ignition the short period there was some igniting going on
Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Found out a few more things and started a new thread on that

I'm not yet allowed to post URL's, not even site-internal ones, it seems, so for some more info from me, check out the thread named

Ha! I broke the code! HPI Octane

Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Cdi max limit

I just bought my savage xl octane recently and i wanted to know what is the maximum voltage of the cdi can go? I know its 6 volts but im wondering if can hold around 7.4 lipo? Any experience on upgrading the ignition battry for longer playing time? TIA 🙂
Old 07-11-2016, 03:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Savageoctanexl
I just bought my savage xl octane recently and i wanted to know what is the maximum voltage of the cdi can go? I know its 6 volts but im wondering if can hold around 7.4 lipo? Any experience on upgrading the ignition battry for longer playing time? TIA 🙂
I recall a sticker on mine specifying a range including lipo voltage. I've run mine on lipo, works good.