Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running? >

HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running?

Like Tree1Likes

HPI Savage Octane XL - How Is Yours Running?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kamitiro Fan
I have to double check my hex drives. maybe its marked wrong
Hmmm, that is interesting.
I made my adjustments on the tailgate of my pickup and the only hex I had out of the box was my 2mm.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Was doing some more reading on the heli version of this engine and they have had issues with them as well. One person stated that all he had to do was add a ground wire to the spark plug wire right at the head because the cap was not grounding correctly.

Last edited by Pedal2themedal; 06-04-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Whoever figures out the root problem should get some free goodies from HPI!!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pedal2themedal
Was doing some more reading on the heli version of this engine and they have had issues with them as well. One person stated that all he had to do was add a ground wire to the spark plug wire right at the head because the cap was not grounding correctly.
So this isn't really ground breaking new technology like they are trying to sell it as? It sounds like recycled tech they didn't know how to make run correctly.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tweeter79
Whoever figures out the root problem should get some free goodies from HPI!!
I guess I'll send them my address then!

It's running, it's wheelying, it does stoppies, shifts and terrorizes everything in its path! I'm so happy it's running, and running well! Another video on my HPI Octane, spread the word please, this is a car with MASSIVE potential!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by HemiStorm

I guess I'll send them my address then!

It's running, it's wheelying, it does stoppies, shifts and terrorizes everything in its path! I'm so happy it's running, and running well! Another video on my HPI Octane, spread the word please, this is a car with MASSIVE potential!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
This looks much better! Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 PM
Tech Addict

Ready to run again. Changing that throttle servo was a nightmare, couldn't get everything calibrated back right. Finally got it. Installed a 5b air filter as well. It's a tight fit and if the runs good with it I will probably end up using a uni angled short stack. Not sure how it will run with the increased air flow yet.

Last edited by Pedal2themedal; 06-04-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Bigger air filter won't hurt at all. Smaller will. Glad to see Hemi got his running, now how about the rest?
Mentioned in his vid, thanks man, is the fact the needle threads are more course than a Walbro carb and thus need smaller turns. That he has 20 tanks through and thinks it's just now about broke in, maybe a little more. Also that his plug was testing good, until it was in the head and then it was failing. He said just go ahead and replace the plug. Buy several.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah.....I'm going to go ahead and throw a new plug in mine after work and see if it makes any difference.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spookie
Bigger air filter won't hurt at all. Smaller will. Glad to see Hemi got his running, now how about the rest?
Mentioned in his vid, thanks man, is the fact the needle threads are more course than a Walbro carb and thus need smaller turns. That he has 20 tanks through and thinks it's just now about broke in, maybe a little more. Also that his plug was testing good, until it was in the head and then it was failing. He said just go ahead and replace the plug. Buy several.
That is what I think to, but HPI had an air restrictor in the stock air filter assembly. We shall see.

As for the carb, it is a stock Walbro carb, and so the threads are regular Walbro threads, he is stating that they should make the adjustment needles fine thread.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Pic of my current setup. That is the battery that I am using, when I pulled the electronics box apart to replace the servo, I mounted the receiver on the back side and it all fits pretty well. I did remove the stock servo mount not because I had to, but just because it was not needed.

Last edited by Pedal2themedal; 06-05-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Oh nice job on the air filter, Less bends and a straight shot in, plus not getting hit with stuff off the wheels. Have you or are you replacing the spark plug?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by spookie
Oh nice job on the air filter, Less bends and a straight shot in. Have you or are you replacing the spark plug?
I have not. Haven't had any running issues yet, but if I do it will be the first thing I replace. Found an iridium plug that I think I am going to try.

And yeah, mounting an air filter directly behind a tire, not one of HPI's smartest decisions, but they did it because the original octane had a giant flywheel driven fan there, and then they never redid the design.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pedal2themedal
Ready to run again. Changing that throttle servo was a nightmare, couldn't get everything calibrated back right. Finally got it.
Mine is now out too. What servo did you go back with?
Old 06-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Never Satisfied
Mine is now out too. What servo did you go back with?
Hitec 7954SH, waaaaaay overpowered for the application but it was all I had laying around.

Found a high voltage Savox servo that I think I am going to replace it with later on and move that one and use it for the steering servo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.