Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Custom double-deck LCG chassis for Stampede MT >

Custom double-deck LCG chassis for Stampede MT

Custom double-deck LCG chassis for Stampede MT

Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Custom double-deck LCG chassis for Stampede MT

This is my newest project. I have a Stampede MT that I drive at the local park. I do mostly mild dirt bashing and street runs, and my 'Pede was constantly flipping over. So, I decided to make a lcg chassis for it. This is a prototype made of sheets of pressed basswood. It has hex standoff spacers between the two decks. The servo is direct drive with no bellcrank. The battery hold down is made from a paint stick. The measurements are 14"L x 6"W, and the wheelbase is 12.5". The track width is stock, for now. It's kind of a universal project chassis that will work with a Traxxas 272 transmission and front bulkhead. My plans are to make it into a street truck. I was thinking of using a T4 Bulldog body and some street tires. Maybe throw on some LED's for show. Hope you like!

Old 05-29-2014, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

With 1/8 buggy wheels/tires and 17mm hex adapters:

Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

good work !

why not wood ? skateboard are made of plywood and break only Under a heavy load

let us know how it stand the scratches, it's the first weak point.

what about the weight ? an 1/8 alu chassis weight usually approx 300 grs
Old 05-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks. I haven't done a lot of testing just yet. Still waiting on motor and esc, body, etc. I still need to order some spacers to go under the rear shock tower on the chassis side. I can tell you that it is light. Very light. My next plans are to do a light stain and clear-coat, and RPM bumper up front, and make some sort of under-chassis protector out of plexi or styrene. It's still in "the works".
Old 05-30-2014, 06:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Idk what it is about Traxxas vehicles but people are always modding them in interesting ways. Nice work on the chassis. My only critique is I would've made it a little narrower, looks a little wide for some bodies, plus it would be lighter.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Overdriven
Idk what it is about Traxxas vehicles but people are always modding them in interesting ways. Nice work on the chassis. My only critique is I would've made it a little narrower, looks a little wide for some bodies, plus it would be lighter.
Thank you very much for the critique Overdriven. I will keep your advice for my next creation. I looked up the width of the T4.1 Bulldog body that I want to use, and it comes out to be 6.4". The dimensions seem to be about right for what I want to accomplish. So, we shall see. I'll keep this thread alive with updates as I go.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Update...Plans are still in order. I'm ordering a few sheets of 1/8" or 3/16" styrene to make a protector plate for the chassis' underside. The styrene will have to be countersunk also, so probably 3/16" is what I would need. I'll probably also need longer screws to make up the difference. The protector plate will be RIT-dyed black, and the chassis will also be black.

Here are a few more pics:

Old 06-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

Today I added two more hex standoff spacers to the outside center of the chassis next to the battery for more support. I also drilled and countersunk the extra center screw hole in the bottom of the bulkhead for better strength and rigidity up front.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Tech Initiate

This build is AWESOME! Great job sourcing materials and working out a cool design. Coming from a model aviation standpoint, I think the plywood is fine. You could use graphite or CF, but if it ain't broke... I can't wait to see this with a body on it. Rad.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Evetts Models
This build is AWESOME! Great job sourcing materials and working out a cool design. Coming from a model aviation standpoint, I think the plywood is fine. You could use graphite or CF, but if it ain't broke... I can't wait to see this with a body on it. Rad.
Thanks Evettes Models. I can't wait to finish it and actually drive it. I do have plans to make the chassis out of CF or G-10 one day when I can actually sit down and make a detailed drawing of it with measurements, spacing, and screw hole sizes. I'm not sure how to exactly go about it, because I've never had anyone to machine anything for me.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

It should look pretty badass once I've completed it.

Last edited by PerfectMesh; 05-13-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I'm just wondering, what does this do for you that a rustler chassis doesn't? Did you change the wheelbase? Do you need the extra rigidity for huge jumps?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by kyleman7
I'm just wondering, what does this do for you that a rustler chassis doesn't? Did you change the wheelbase? Do you need the extra rigidity for huge jumps?
-Uses direct steering and eliminates the need for a bellcrank steering system which reduces steering slop and wear, and is also great for high-speed projects.

-The final product will be much stronger than a stock Rustler chassis.

-The wheelbase is 11.5" compared to the Rustler's 11.375".

-Since this will be an aftermarket chassis made out of something other than plastic, it is an option for those who wish to modify their Traxxas vehicles equipped with 272 transmissions and front bulkheads.

Last edited by PerfectMesh; 05-13-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Sorry, I had to drop the project for a while. Other things took priority. I totally forgot about this thread. I have recently taken up airbrushing, so I think I'm going to paint a bulldog body for this chassis. I have a Castle 3800kV SCT system to throw in it also.

Last edited by PerfectMesh; 05-13-2015 at 01:30 PM.