Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Given an MGT8.0 - Newbie to RC!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Given an MGT8.0 - Newbie to RC!

A work friend was given a brand new MGT 8.0 a few years ago and he took it out the box and ran the hell out of it for 10 minutes and it shut down on him. He couldn't get it back running for 3+ years so it just sat collecting dust. I mentioned I had a friend who was big into RC and he'd probably fix it for him. So my RC friend took a little time but fixed it and we had it running for a few hours. Pig was running great sucking down nitro.. it was really awesome. Anyways I sent the original owner a video and he didn't want it anymore, so he told me to keep it.

Next day I took it off a baseball mound and had a pretty bad landing and she sputtered out. We get her running and sounding pretty good until we hit the gas and she craps out again. My friend thinks maybe an air leak somewhere. I dunno we have to break it down and look.

Either way I was flirting with the idea of buying a slash 4x4 for the last year so I'd like to turn this into a good basher. Anyone have any recommendations for some good upgrades? This thing is stock. I think I may upgrade the engine entirely cause I don't think the og. owner broke it in properly and beat it up pretty good.

I am diving in looking to spend $300-400 tops to get a little more efficient but powerful engine, exhaust, shocks. Any MGT owners have any must haves mods?

As far as the engine goes, I keep seeing Picco and LTR as the most common, my friend recommends OS.

Look forward to getting into the hobby, and becoming part of this community.

Wiz
Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 PM

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think Lrp makes good motors... Check out rpm they make a lot of stuff for bashing... And there parts are guaranteed for life.. Proline for the wheels and tires... I'd say away from integy there parts are hit or miss... Some of the skid plates or shock towers may be ok... I hear great things about Lrp motors... Im not sure how durable those things are tho... Never owned one... I do k of there like a tmaxx handling wise as the suspension set up is the same... Pillowball a arms and 8 shocks... The transmissions even look similar... Also get new servos and radio gear.. I'd personally go with savox servos... They are good and inexpensive... There is a mgt thread on here so check that out and ask what they are doing and what upgrades worked for them and what didnt