Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

TEAM LOSI LST official thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Try the Odonnel!! It's better than OS plugs, and cheaper!

They last longer too, in my experience. Really, they're just good... To me, they give a non-turbo engine the stable feeling of a turbo engine, which no other plug ever did for me in my various SH-based (LRP, Mach, Dynamite, Losi, etc..) MT engines..

I haven't been running as often in the last couple years, but I have been amazed on the few occasions when I have fired them up, sometimes after 6-8 months of non-use, how they just fire right up and run great. Both my LRP 30 and 454.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Just curious, What did you break in your trans? (Herrsavage)... I'm leaning towards the Lrp .32 for my truck.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:01 AM
Tech Champion

I don't even know to be honest. I broke two with the 30, but both were quite old. The first time I took a couple apart and messed with them to get it going right, then it would break again. Could be something in the 2-speed. I tried a couple of those too. It's been a while, so I'm not sure anymore.. I have two really old LST2's at this point, and I think it's probably time to consolidate them into one. The 454 truck runs killer though.. The other one is much older, and is down at the moment. The diffs though afaic are still OK. It's just the tranny and 2-speed.. I think what I'd really like to do is buy an XXL chassis and start over.. But then bodies don't fit, some of my spares like shafts and side rails. So I don't know. Maybe even buy a new standard length chassis and start over at some point. Right now I'm too busy with planes and quads to want to dig into wrenching on an MT.. I'm hoping the motivation hits me soon...
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just an update. Changed the plug to os #8, retuned and destroyed the body mounts and scratched the engine head. Massive power. Thanks everyone for the tips
Old 08-11-2017, 02:14 AM
Tech Champion

Yesterday I soldered up an on/off switch for my LST2 #2 and a bunch of old nimh hump packs, and took it out to test. It still had fuel in the tank from the last time I ran it - about a year ago I think.. Amazingly it started right up and ran great. A tiny bit of half tank lean going on, but otherwise simply awesome. My fuel has been sitting around for years. All good...

So many anti-nitro BS myths out there. I love a nitro LST2 - definitely my favorite RC car of all time.. Super balanced, and they have that special sound. And the 2-speed shift... Shame they don't make LST intros anymore...
Old 08-11-2017, 03:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm an LST2 nut too. My friend told me a long time ago - if you want an MT, get a Losi. They're "stupidly overbuilt". I have a pair of them as well and love them to pieces. One is an original LST2 (#000449) and the other is one I built from spare parts. I'm a snob though; I have a modded Nova Legend .28 in one and a modded Picco .28 Turbo in the other (I do my own mod jobs).

I have all three transmission gear options (output bevel gears) for the stock LST2, LST XXL, and the Brushless conversion kit. I have always been curious to see how fast an LST Nitro can go. So I'll find out - just because I'm a nut. I got a best top speed of 45mph from the Picco powered truck on stock gears. That truck was running a P6TC plug (the P6TH is friendlier), Novarossi 41016 header and Dynamite 086HS pipe. 20% nitro 11% oil custom homebrew fuel.
Attached Thumbnails TEAM LOSI LST official thread-img_7207.jpg   TEAM LOSI LST official thread-img_7209.jpg  

Last edited by RCTecher12; 08-11-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Nice trucks and engines..

I bought my 454 new on a forum for €90 shipped - in 2011 or -12!! And it runs great!!

My other truck is a ragged out mess, but the LRP ZR.30X is absolutely awesome.. I have a brand new 2-speed and tranny for it, which should get it going again.. Winter project maybe.

I recently moved from the city to the country, and I now have a garage with all kinds of space for storing stuff and wrenching. For RC anyway it's amazingly fantastic compared to life in the city. I had had all my stuff stored away in the cellar, it got dirty and old and I lost track of what I had. Now it's all right there in one place, I could put it directly in the car without having to go up and down in the elevator etc. so anyway, I'm slowly getting all my nitros back in running condition. Maybe I will even treat my first LST2 to a new chassis, maybe even some other parts… It is, after all, over 10 years old now… The LRP 30 engine still has plenty of life in it though..
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Mach 427 and SH .28 6-port (pretty much the .28 version of the 427) I pulled from my trucks still run great too. The 427 only has a couple gallons on it and as such still has some pinch. The SH .28 has 4 gallons through it and is in very similar condition. I wanted stupid power for testing the top speed capability and maybe put the stock Forward/Reverse/High/Low transmission into it. I had 90% of the stock transmission that the previous owner gave me, but never felt the need to put it in because it's so heavy and it needed some work. I got a bug in my ear and got the parts to build the transmission. My only concern now is the F/R transmission is fairly tight when assembled and screws installed. It feels similar to a properly shimmer diff - maybe a tick tighter. The output bevel gears I put in it are stock LST2 parts with maybe a half gallon of fuels worth of time on them. Bearings are new. I figure I'll run it a bit and see if it loosens up some. I'm sure it will.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

@SlowLST2, is the trans notchy? From what I remember of the Forward/Reverse trans it has lots of drag but runs pretty smooth. I've only dealt with one F/R trans though and that was a brushless conversion. Was hoping to be able to leave it alone but even with the reverse lever tied to the chassis with wire it would pop out of Forward. Ended up using JB Weld to position the needed gears on the input shaft and removing the rest for a homemade Forward only because I'm cheap sometimes.

Nova Legend .28 huh? I like the sound of that! Kind of miss my 528.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Overdriven
@SlowLST2, is the trans notchy? From what I remember of the Forward/Reverse trans it has lots of drag but runs pretty smooth. I've only dealt with one F/R trans though and that was a brushless conversion. Was hoping to be able to leave it alone but even with the reverse lever tied to the chassis with wire it would pop out of Forward. Ended up using JB Weld to position the needed gears on the input shaft and removing the rest for a homemade Forward only because I'm cheap sometimes.

Nova Legend .28 huh? I like the sound of that! Kind of miss my 528.
Yes, it's notchy. Doesn't matter if in Forward or reverse, high or low range. Tells me it's the output gears. The FOC conversion I did in the truck that now has the Nova Legend in it felt the same way after assembly - after running a few tanks of fuel through that transmission, it was free and smooth.

In the Forward/reverse trans I built, everything was cleaned super good, all bearings are new, and everything was greased super good. All of the pins that hold the selectors and gear changers are new, all gears and clutch dogs are in perfect condition.

The Legend 28-8 is a beast! Someday I'll run one stock to see how it compares to a modified one in the same truck. Mildly modified it's a sick puppy; I can only imagine what a drag modded engine will be like.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Tech Champion

For nitro enthusiasts novarossidirect has crazy prices on very good engines… Including the 8-port 28…

LEGEND28-8

Crazy good price for an excellent buggy or truggy engine…:

ELITE 5OFF

Or even better:

PALOMA .21LIMITED
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 PM
Tech Champion

So I'm thinking I might treat one of my LST2's to a new chassis foe a winter rebuild project.

Will the XXL2 gas chassis work? Mine will be nitro. All holes the same - engine mount, tank mounts etc?

I'd actually probably rather stay with a standard shorter chassis, because I already have all the bodies, center shafts, etc. but I'm not even sure I can find an old chassis. The complete eBay deals from chop shops are pretty cool too with all the parts that you need. If I get a shorter chassis I have to go pick and choose all the other parts to go with it. Then again the long chassis is so cheap I could just buy it and use the bits that come with it..

There don't seem to be many diffs available out there.... Hmmm.

I have two whole trucks, still lots of parts in drawers, and a brand new transmission and 2-speed.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

You would indeed need the chassis including side rails and center driveshafts. All else is the same as LST2 except the color is different on the diff cases and such (red for XXL). All Losi MTs use the same diffs, so aftershock diffs would work albeit you may need to get the aluminum cases as some AS/Raminator trucks had plastic diff cases.

I know you're in Europe, but it might be worth having a look at DollarHobbyz.com. They have decent prices (a non-EBay chop shop) and might ship to the EU.

LST XXL uses +1 tooth on clutchbell pinions for early models, late models used LST2 clutchbell. Early +1 clutchbell is discontinued, some pinions can be had for the threaded clutchbell, but the 5x13 bearing mod cannot be used on threaded clutchbell.

LST XXL/2 uses +1 tooth on transmission output gears (LOSB3119) over stock LST2 (LOSB3118)

LST brushless conversion kit uses +1 tooth on transmission output gears (LOSB3120) over XXL stock gears (LOSB3119)

Last edited by RCTecher12; 08-13-2017 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Added info.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:34 AM
Tech Champion

I know all the extremities are interchangeable. What I'm not sure about is the holes for the engine, engine mount, tank mounts etc.. There was a guy a while ago who converted the gasser to nitro, and iirc he had to mod the motor mount and possibly dremel the chassis. He never reported back how it went though..

Both my trucks have XXL trannies..
Old 08-13-2017, 05:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I know all the extremities are interchangeable. What I'm not sure about is the holes for the engine, engine mount, tank mounts etc.. There was a guy a while ago who converted the gasser to nitro, and iirc he had to mod the motor mount and possibly dremel the chassis. He never reported back how it went though..

Both my trucks have XXL trannies..
There's a few on YouTube - one I'm thinking of has a Nova Legend 28-8 in it. As with many non-SH engines, the engine mount needs to be shimmed up about 1mm to clear the bottom of the crankcase from the chassis. AFAIK, the XXL chassis doesn't need to be modified otherwise. Ask around on YouTube maybe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.