Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree20Likes

Offical ARRMA KRATON MT thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Been getting this thing set up for the track. Aka I beam truggy tires, body for a team Durango truggy and losi truggy springs. Finally run on 6s with no failure from the esc. No change in shock oil yet, gonna see how it does stock. One thing though, is the motor supposed to get so hot you can't touch it? Hittin the track Monday morning and will post how well it did.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Managed to get about a 15 minute run in before all hell broke loose. List of damage:

1. Both front bearings exploded
2. Both front steering blocks cracked in the usual spot (i still have the old style)
3. Battery strap broke and battery came flying out on the track
4. ESC is starting to act funny and randomly braking on me (BRAKE not break)

Other than that it did extremely well on the track. It had zero problem clearing the triple on the track and in fact, overshot it a few times which probably led to the damage. These were parts i was going to upgrade anyway so im not too upset about it. No one has the steering blocks in stock though.

Another issue i was having was not being able to correct in the air. It would nose down and i couldn't get it up in time. The motor spins, no lag, but it sounds like the center diff maybe be slipping. Maybe the pinion gear? Doesn't look like its slipping. Any ideas? Would a change in diff fluid for the front and back possibly take care of this?
Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 AM
HAT
Tech Rookie

Hi, so as a soon-to-be Kraton owner I have searched a few threads to find some good recommedations on lipos... But none have really stood out as winners. Can anybody help a noob?

Is it correct that the battery tray is 155mm x 50mm ?

Anyone tried fitting a Turnigy Heavy Duty Series 5000mAh 6S 60C Lipo Pack in the Kraton??

Requirements:
6s (or 2x3)
Min. 5000mah
Min 30c rating (is that enough)
Available in Europe
Direct fit (no battery tray mods required)
Old 05-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by HAT
Hi, so as a soon-to-be Kraton owner I have searched a few threads to find some good recommedations on lipos... But none have really stood out as winners. Can anybody help a noob?

Is it correct that the battery tray is 155mm x 50mm ?

Anyone tried fitting a Turnigy Heavy Duty Series 5000mAh 6S 60C Lipo Pack in the Kraton??

Requirements:
6s (or 2x3)
Min. 5000mah
Min 30c rating (is that enough)
Available in Europe
Direct fit (no battery tray mods required)
That is the exact battery that I am running in mine, fits great as long as you turn it on the side. Loads of power and good run time. I got about 20 minutes of nothing but full throttle. So you could easily get 30 minutes or so on just bashing. I would also suggest getting a strap to hold it in the long way (front to back) It is shorter than the battery tray and tends to slide. Also, with it being a soft pack and being so close to the spur gear, I made something to protect the battery so the gear does not chew into the battery.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 AM
HAT
Tech Rookie

Great - appreciate your quick answer. In regards to the possible sliding issue; wouldn't it be enough to put some foam padding in the bottom of the tray to compensate for the length?
Old 05-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

You might be able to. My only concern would be the foam eventually falling out. The battery is huge and heavy but not quite long enough, so if that thing starts sliding around, which it will do easily, bad things can happen. Another benefit of having that extra strap is if one of the horizontal straps fail, you have the vertical one that will help keep the battery in. (see my post up above) If i did have that vertical strap, battery would have never came out.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Are you using the plastic battery hold downs along with the straps ?
I use the 2 solid flat ones across the top and of had no problems with the
batteries at all .
Old 06-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by strykerakamack
Are you using the plastic battery hold downs along with the straps ?
I use the 2 solid flat ones across the top and of had no problems with the
batteries at all .
I snapped both velcro straps Saturday... Trying to clear the 70ft FMX jump at the monster truck show, landed flat on the roof from 40 or 50 feet up twice. Straps must have broken the first time, cables ripped out of the lipo on the second miss

First time running it on 5s, did great. Ran hot enough that 6s seems out of the question.

All the other trucks broke... slash, built HPI monster truck, built Revo. Kraton survived the first night without a single issue. Broken battery ended the second night, but I was the only one still running.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:17 PM
Tech Elite

wow ! Lucky that the lipo didn't go in flames !! check out the cell voltage, I slightly crashed my softpacks and one cell showed a very low voltage

Any vid of this show ?
Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline
wow ! Lucky that the lipo didn't go in flames !! check out the cell voltage, I slightly crashed my softpacks and one cell showed a very low voltage

Any vid of this show ?
Battery is toast, it pulled the whole positive cable off the cell. Won't take solder, and the hobby shop won't touch it.

Trying to find videos, don't do facebook so it's hard.

I was pulling back flips sideways over the table top jumps too, crowd loved it. Just couldn't get over the 70ft kicker, kept coming down on the back side of the landing.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maslin
Battery is toast, it pulled the whole positive cable off the cell. Won't take solder, and the hobby shop won't touch it.

Trying to find videos, don't do facebook so it's hard.

I was pulling back flips sideways over the table top jumps too, crowd loved it. Just couldn't get over the 70ft kicker, kept coming down on the back side of the landing.
that's the true showman spirit ! give the crowd what they want until it breaks !
Old 06-15-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

I really want to like this thing but its proving difficult. I can never get more than 10 minutes of run-time without some thing going wrong. I know it can be the nature of the hobby, but im not even bashing this thing hardcore. Motor gets blistering hot on 6s, esc occasionally just stops the truck with hard braking, front diff seems to be binding up on me now, broken steering blocks, blown out bearings, wheel nuts flying off, bolts coming loose and falling out, stripped out bolt heads, battery straps snapping and battery flying out.

This is all with relatively low hours on this truck. I do know how to drive and gear mesh is set correctly running a 14t pinion. Im just waiting for this thing to burst into flames at any second

Ive spent more time fixing this thing, ordering parts and waiting for parts to come in stock than actually having any fun with it. I really want to love this thing, but like i said its proving difficult. Maybe I'm just writing all this to vent because I really don't have a point to this post.

Anyway, pic of the latest damage!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imac6471
I really want to like this thing but its proving difficult. I can never get more than 10 minutes of run-time without some thing going wrong. I know it can be the nature of the hobby, but im not even bashing this thing hardcore. Motor gets blistering hot on 6s, esc occasionally just stops the truck with hard braking, front diff seems to be binding up on me now, broken steering blocks, blown out bearings, wheel nuts flying off, bolts coming loose and falling out, stripped out bolt heads, battery straps snapping and battery flying out.

This is all with relatively low hours on this truck. I do know how to drive and gear mesh is set correctly running a 14t pinion. Im just waiting for this thing to burst into flames at any second

Ive spent more time fixing this thing, ordering parts and waiting for parts to come in stock than actually having any fun with it. I really want to love this thing, but like i said its proving difficult. Maybe I'm just writing all this to vent because I really don't have a point to this post.

Anyway, pic of the latest damage!
Sucks to hear you have had so many problems. I've been running only 4s with the 14t pinion and the only thing besides the wing I've had to replace is the deans plug connector with a real one.

Now I have broken a front A arm, shock shaft, and A arm pin from my own bad of hitting a mailbox post. but nothing would have survived that hit, and the Kraton took it pretty well!

I've had my share of big air and big spills with it and I even had to check it some and was surprised it never broke.

Try running the 6s with a 12t and change out the deans plug. I know when my deans plug was going, it would just come to a halt and wouldn't move as it lost the connection. With a 6s the higher the gearing the hotter that thing is going to run.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello Arrma owners!

Could anyone test or report if the stock Arrma blx180 esc works with only one normal 2S Lipo? The idea would be that you could start with a single 2S battery pack and learn how to drive the car before going for the crazy 4-6S speeds

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Maxxi92
Hello Arrma owners!

Could anyone test or report if the stock Arrma blx180 esc works with only one normal 2S Lipo? The idea would be that you could start with a single 2S battery pack and learn how to drive the car before going for the crazy 4-6S speeds

Thanks in advance!
I don't recall, I know my Sidewinder 8th runs on 2-3S albeit slowly. However, 4S with stock gearing is honestly pretty tame compared to 5-6S, so if you're not full throttle all the time then I don't think you'll have an issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.