Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Help to buy a monster truck >

Help to buy a monster truck

Help to buy a monster truck

Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A very important thing to remember when buying any RC is Parts make sure you can get them for the truck you buy.
If you are order only area then the model will be personal preference
I have gone through some trucks and cars in my day so far and anything that is out now is pretty good
Parts for traxxas stuff always seems to be the easiest to get a hold of even when traveling
Old 03-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, I am new to rc stuff also and have been looking around. I have considered the traxes vxl but don't need that much truck for just starting out. I am looking at the hellion invictus and will probably just upgrade the battery once I get used to it. 40 mph out of the box and ready to run. It is a 4x4 with 2.4 ghz and only $289.00
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I think the most important question has been over looked.... how much money are you looking to spend on a rtr setup? And like everyone says, brushed gets boring fast. So keep that in mind. Also what are you going to be doing with it? Jumping/bashing? Racing? Just a front of your house on the street goof around? I think you should figure those questions out first. Thats what i had to do... i bought a truggy based off opinions, but for my purposes i ended up with an E Revo and been much happier. Long story..
Old 03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

stampede 4x4 vxl . Have at it .....
Old 03-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

I like to see what people say on these forums always interesting
Remember this too all those that are new to the hobby
Nothing cheap will hold up! thats fact
Buy decent stuff from the beginning and you will be much happier
20 plus years of this stuff there are few that will not agree with me on this
Old 04-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monsterbrad
I like to see what people say on these forums always interesting
Remember this too all those that are new to the hobby
Nothing cheap will hold up! thats fact
Buy decent stuff from the beginning and you will be much happier
20 plus years of this stuff there are few that will not agree with me on this
COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!

Here's What Happened to Me: Started with a Stampede 2WD(a good truck by the way) because it cost less up front, it had a brushed motor so I also bought some NiMH batts and a NiMH charger and a 27mhz tx/rx. One week later I am sitting at home watching youtube vids and i decide i want to go faster as brushed got old really quick. Guess what? None of the stuff (27mhz radio, NiMH Batts, NiMH charger) is going to work or be useful with a brushless system.

1. brushless creates too much interference so i needed 2.4ghz +$60
2. lipos cost a lot of money +$100
3. need a lipo charger +$60

So at that point I'm trying to explain to my wife why I need to spend $220 more when I could have done it in the first place....and all those NiMHs go straight to the garbage and the charger might sell for $10, tx/rx...worthless.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

A person that listens to me after 20 plus years
AMEN!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monsterbrad
A person that listens to me after 20 plus years
AMEN!
Some people on this site seem to be, in general, looking for an argument...or just mad at life. Personally, I'm in it for fun...plus you're right!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Default stampede 4x4

I have a stampede 4x4 with some upgrades and it's a blast.very tough and lots of parts available.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro
You sound like you are starting out new to this hobby. I would recommend the stampede VXL 4X4. It is a very nice brushless truck and any local hobby shop will have repair parts available. Where are you located? Are you in the U.S.? I have my 2 day old stampede for sale. I would be willing to ship if you are in the US. I kind of just bought it without thinking about it. I have had nothing but 1/8 and 1/5 scale for years and this 1/10 scale just really doesnt do it for me. So I am wanting to sell it because I already ordered a new e-MTA that will be here thursday.

Interested, more info please. New to the whole rc hobby thingy.

Last edited by N8os123; 04-18-2014 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling...
Old 04-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I am also looking at monster trucks. I am looking at the Helion Invectious (check out you tube) as it is brushless (no maintenance) and I have heard the body is designed to land on it's tires, since I am handicap and it is difficult for me to walk. I also like what the Stampede has to offer.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I looked at the helion. It doesnt look bad. I read up on em a little and reviews are ok! You certainly dont "have" to go with Traxxas. Everyone recommends them becouse they are durable bashers and parts can be bought almost anywhere. Every hobbyshop stocks TRX.
But theres many others and they all need a little love( love = $$$) to be solid machines.
As for budget stuff.. I can tell the difference between quality in screws( redcat and exceed, Hobbyking, hobbypartz,etc screws are soft and tend to break and snap off easy), plastics( same as above but brittle and tend to break easier) aluminum is cast sometimes and breaks easy! The anodized stuff thats cheap bends at first impact and youll find you can sometimes bend it back by hand! Junk,
Im not saying all budget stuffs junk. Some mass poduced kits are better than others. Just research good before you buy
Old 04-27-2014, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have been in the hobby for almost 30years and I don't know how many rc's I have owned but I currently own 33 including clodbusters, redcat ground pounders, e-maxx, and a couple stampede 2wd trucks. Of all the trucks I have my 2wd stampede is my favorite. I've had it since it came out in 1994.

I have only upgraded the gears in the transmission to the vxl gears and upgraded the hub carriers to rpm. It's incredibly fast and I race it against e revos and e maxxes and and best everyone. It handles great and is a blast to run.

The wheels king is fun in stock form, but if you upgrade the power than it will start to destroy axle gears non stop. It takes $1,000 in upgrades to make a wheels king fun and dependable. E-revo and e-maxx are fun also, but cost a lot more and they always break unless you upgrade them a bunch.