Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4WD not working on savage xl

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 4WD not working on savage xl

Just received a used savage xl and noticed right away that the 4 wheel drive was not working to the fullest like I imagined it should. Now taking it out today I noticed while doing donuts that only the rear tires are doing the power. I put it up on the blocks with it shut off and spun the tires by hand, not all four spin at the same time. The rear ones sound good while pinning while the front have a crackly noise to them while spinning. When I start it on the blocks and hit the throttle all 4 will spin, as soon as i touch the front tires they stop and when I do it to the back they do not stop so there is for sure something up with this. Any help to getting this thing fixed?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

either a blown front differential, broken front center dogbone, or maybe a broken/lost front drive cup set screw. if its the setscrew super easy, couple bucks to fix. if its the differential still easy, about 20-30$ for complete differntial setup from ebay. dogbone is about 5$, also easy. just remove screws, replace part, replace screws. full schematics are availible to download on hpi website.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you! I will look into it tonight to see what I can find.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I vote that the front ring and pinion are destroyed. You would do yourself a favor by upgrading to HPIs bullet proof gears if that is the case. My XL did the same thing, the fronts went first with the brakes and the rears were a close second. If that is it, grab yourself a shim kit for the differentials too and learn how to properly shim them. When properly shimmed, you should only have about half a mm of play.

I dont know the specific specs off the top of my head, I shim by feel now. If you put it together and it binds, its too tight. Remove a shim and try again. Keep going until it spins freely without play, or very little play at the most. Clean it all up, add some grease and thread lock in the proper areas.

If it is the ring and pinion, this is what you want.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYDN6&P=ML

Last edited by Brokenparts; 02-16-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:05 AM
Tech Initiate

It was not the part listed above. I tore into it and the gears inside the diff are wore down. Anyone know what these are called or a part number for them?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Is this what you are looking for.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Conversion-Set
Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Cool. Got it ordered! Thanks!