R/C Tech Forums

Sponsored by:
Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks

Old 11-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Savage pipe comes loose

Hi guys,
Been running one of my Savages with a Losi LST pipe (the Black "TLR Sports one") and the stock header, performance is excellent however the pipe keeps popping out of the silicon coupling. The pipe itself is designed to attach to a Losi header with springs, which means it isn't tapered like the HPI pipes that are designed for the stock manifold. I've tried my best to zip tie it down, even tried a hose clamp, but no matter what I do as soon as it takes a good knock....pops straight out.

I tried to get a hold of a Losi Muggy header to solve the issue, but can't seem to source one in Australia with any deal of ease. If anyone knows of a better way to couple the pipe to the header I'd love to hear your input

Thanks.

Edit: Also not really keen on spending $100 on a new pipe, so a cheap solution would be preferable.
LaserPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The losi pipe is tapered isn't it? You should post a picture so we can get a better idea of whats happening
Old 11-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upbasher View Post
The losi pipe is tapered isn't it? You should post a picture so we can get a better idea of whats happening
The savage header has a silicone coupler. Both the header and pipe go inside the coupler. The Losi pipe has a joint like the joint at the header to engine. In fact it uses the same gasket and has 3 small springs to hold it all together. This is typical of a 1/8 buggy and truggy exhaust.

The solution is simple, get a 1/8 buggy or truggy header with the correct joint. The pipe won't end up in the same spot so you'll have to adjust the pipe's hanger but that's easy enough.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Ime not sure about everywhere but here in canada at canadian tire you can buy a pipe flare tool for plumbing, my buddy purchased one for the exact same issue you are having, flare the end and problem solved....
Flux4.6version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The savage header has a silicone coupler. Both the header and pipe go inside the coupler. The Losi pipe has a joint like the joint at the header to engine. In fact it uses the same gasket and has 3 small springs to hold it all together. This is typical of a 1/8 buggy and truggy exhaust.

The solution is simple, get a 1/8 buggy or truggy header with the correct joint. The pipe won't end up in the same spot so you'll have to adjust the pipe's hanger but that's easy enough.

I have a black losi pipe that says "sport" on it and it is tapered, it uses the same setup as the savage, it came on my mgb.
The one he has must be off a newer version or something
Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I have a black losi pipe that says "sport" on it and it is tapered, it uses the same setup as the savage, it came on my mgb.
or it has been modified to fit something different.....my lst2 has a flared header.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
The pipe you have is from the Aftershock. All LST's came with the flange style like shown below not the tapered. Btw the Aftershock pipe is not a very good performer, but it is quiet.

And here's my nephew's all original LST1 can't get any older. The pipe says "sport" but has the flange style exhaust.

Here's a close up of a flange style exhaust

You may be able to flare the end of the pipe somehow but there's not much to work with. Some pipes are also hard and will crack if you try to flare it. A buggy header is under $20 and will fix the issue the right way so it won't pop off ever again or have any leaks.

Last edited by Overdriven; 11-17-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
The pipe you have is from the Aftershock. All LST's came with the flange style like shown below not the tapered. Btw the Aftershock pipe is not a very good performer, but it is quiet.

And here's my nephew's all original LST1 can't get any older. The pipe says "sport" but has the flange style exhaust.

Here's a close up of a flange style exhaust

You may be able to flare the end of the pipe somehow but there's not much to work with. Some pipes are also hard and will crack if you try to flare it. A buggy header is under $20 and will fix the issue the right way so it won't pop off ever again or have any leaks.
dude that looks identical to mine except i have an orangish yellow top motor.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, will have to try and source a decent buggy header that'll fit. Hopefully one of the crappy lhs around here has something that will work.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Ordered an RC8 header, hopefully there's enough clearance between the engine and the rear shock tower. Would also be nice if it's actually in stock and doesn't end up on backorder for two weeks before I get fed up and cancel it :P
Old 11-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
Tech Regular

After finding out, days later, that I'd have to wait for the RC8 header, I decided to call around and try and source something that I could work with. Nothing! Must have called 15 hobby stores and not a single one had stock of a flanged 180 manifold! Seems as though it's easy to get parts in Australia.....as long as it's Traxxass

Seems as though attempting to flare the pipe may be the simplest option, anyone got a link to the sort of tool I'd need to do this?