Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between the 5sc and super 5sc durability

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Difference between the 5sc and super 5sc durability

Hpi makes clear that the super 5sc is a Savage with special mounts for the 1/5 body leading me to think it's the same shocks, diffs, cups etc I'm wondering about how that compares to the gas 5sc..

I'm gna build one and put the castle xl2 and possibly 8s on her and am wondering which is now durable!?

Thanks guys
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The 5sc is based on the 5b baja. The super 5sc flux is basically a stretched and widened savage. (Which IMHO was a terrible idea)

I don't think a mamba xl2 will work in the 5sc flux, the motor is too big.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Tech Addict

That is another reason I'm leaning towards the 5sc and just converting it with castles kit..
Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I've said this a lot, but I would get a 5ive-T roller and convert it. Seems like a better 1/5 truck overall than the 5b/t/sc
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Putting heavy-@#$ 1/5 scale wheels on those stressed savage XL axles seems to be a bad idea, and I've seen a guy on URC who was running Baja 5T fronts all the way 'round. Snapping axles (the threaded part on the outside) left and right.

However, the Super 5sc-Flux uses a center differential, and a dual-disk slipper pad for the slipper clutch on TOP of the CD. HPI took some consideration with the drivetrain on that truck at least, unlike the Savage. I've not heard a lot of complaints from people running the Super 5sc-flux. However, don't expect to fit a full on 1/5 scale power plant in there. The TVP's also don't really allow for much of a bigger motor with some cutting, which is disappointing. However, put something like a Castle 1717 or a Leopard 4092 in it, and I think it's gonna be plenty powerful on 6s.

If you're looking at it versus the Baja-based 5sc, I'd be broken there. Depends on whether or not you can run a gasoline engine in your area at that point. I can't, so if I were stuck in your shoes, I'd grab a 5sc-flux.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Putting heavy-@#$ 1/5 scale wheels on those stressed savage XL axles seems to be a bad idea, and I've seen a guy on URC who was running Baja 5T fronts all the way 'round. Snapping axles (the threaded part on the outside) left and right.

However, the Super 5sc-Flux uses a center differential, and a dual-disk slipper pad for the slipper clutch on TOP of the CD. HPI took some consideration with the drivetrain on that truck at least, unlike the Savage. I've not heard a lot of complaints from people running the Super 5sc-flux. However, don't expect to fit a full on 1/5 scale power plant in there. The TVP's also don't really allow for much of a bigger motor with some cutting, which is disappointing. However, put something like a Castle 1717 or a Leopard 4092 in it, and I think it's gonna be plenty powerful on 6s.

If you're looking at it versus the Baja-based 5sc, I'd be broken there. Depends on whether or not you can run a gasoline engine in your area at that point. I can't, so if I were stuck in your shoes, I'd grab a 5sc-flux.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52

However, the Super 5sc-Flux uses a center differential, and a dual-disk slipper pad for the slipper clutch on TOP of the CD. HPI took some consideration with the drivetrain on that truck at least, unlike the Savage.
There is a fix for the stub axle issue. Guys seem to have had success with replacing the spacer for the XL axles with bearings and shims so the axle is better supported. Another option is custom hexes that include the spacer. To truly solve this problem once and for all guys are ditching the savage stuff for a combination of LST and CEN Genesis axles, CVD's, knuckles and hubs.

The center diff inside the trans of the 5sc flux will help the drivetrain live with big power but it can only do so much. I've seen guys put low kv 1/8 size motors (1520, 1527 etc) on 8s with a buggy style center diff and they still destroy bulletproof diffs. That's with a 1/8 size motor not 1/5 like the Castle 2028. Upgrading to aluminum bulks and 1/8 buggy diffs seems to hold up pretty well to 8s with 1/8 size motors but you're still going to wear out everything a lot faster. From what I've seen 8s with 1/8 motors is the limit for a beefed up 1/8 drivetrain, a 1/5 motor like the Castle 2028 will just tear it up. He'll the. Castle 1/5 system already tears up 1/5 Baja drivetrain parts.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Dodged all the problems and went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Losi 5ive w MGM and custom 2028 850kv!!
Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You better post pictures of it.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

A Castle 2028 in 850kv? Where are you getting that? Do you mean a Neu 22 series?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Addict

Thats possible. ill look at that motor bc the guy im buying from said was a custom 2028 850kv but of course when i call castle they say they dont make custom kv like that Dude had a custom motor mount made to allow for a MONSTEROUS pinion for speed runs so that gives him a little credibility.. We shall see! Ships from california tom hoping for safe travels