Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap) >

My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My take on an E conversion for the Losi LST2 (Cheap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

@overdriven: Looking at those pics the 1717 and esc should sligthtly more than the b-pack right? Giving you a weight balance more backwards.

Come to think of it as the topic was up in my build thread.

Another question to all of you, what oil to run with the black springs? I'm thinking 40wt ?

I find the original shock setup be surprisingly good but a little on the soft side. So I want to try a slightly stiffer setup.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

This is a stock LST 2nd gear assembly. The hub is the outer ring that holds the spur gear. The hub has a bearing under the clutch shoes and that bearing rides on the 2nd gear cam. The 2nd gear cam is the part that rides on the input shaft of the trans and is in the center of the clutch shoes. In a stock nitro truck the clutch shoes transfer power from the hub to the cam. You used screws to lock the clutch shoes to the hub to create a single speed. I removed the clutch shoes and filled the hub with JB weld to permanently lock the hub to the cam. All the brown stuff where the clutch shoes would be is JB Weld.

To make the tray you don't need a vise. Once you cut the lexan to size use a marker to mark a straight line where the bend will be. Now take a lighter and slowly heat the lexan along that line alternating sides until the lexan will bend. Make your bend and hold it in position until it cools. The Lexan will only bend where you heat it and it's pretty easy to eyeball. Practice heating and bending on a scrap piece first if you can to get the hang of it.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

@ themanwithnonam

The chrome springs you have are way too soft. The black are better but still a bit on the soft side for my taste. My shocks have whatever weight oil is stock which is 30 I think? This setup has worked well enough that I haven't bothered to change it yet, but I want to at least go with some thicker oil and maybe yellow Losi or some RC Raven springs.

Yes I did bring up the weight distribution in your thread. I just checked my front to rear weight distribution and it's damn near 50/50.

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-08-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just wanted to update that I used my telemetry on the DX3S and my temps on the motor peaked at 149* while running through grass and speed runs on the street.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
@ themanwithnonam

The chrome springs you have are way too soft. The black are better but still a bit on the soft side for my taste. My shocks have whatever weight oil is stock which is 30 I think? This setup has worked well enough that I haven't bothered to change it yet, but I want to at least go with some thicker oil and maybe yellow Losi or some RC Raven springs.

Yes I did bring up the weight distribution in your thread. I just checked my front to rear weight distribution and it's damn near 50/50.
Well I will try the black ones to start with and ae 40wt oil. Next up, the yellow springs are we not getting in to the jump/bash only area with them?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by themanwithnonam
Well I will try the black ones to start with and ae 40wt oil. Next up, the yellow springs are we not getting in to the jump/bash only area with them?
I do have to do some tuning to the current combination, thicker oil, more preload etc. I'd just like the ride height to be a little higher and a bit more damping. The preload collars are pretty far down already though so the yellows might be better for me.

Edit: My "black" springs are actually stock Aftershock springs part # losb2948 not the optional "Black 6.0lb" losb2951 springs. Unfortunately Losi doesn't list the actual spring rate of the Chrome or Black springs that come on the RTR's so now I gotta decide whether it's going to be black 6.0, yellow or RC Raven.

Last edited by Overdriven; 09-11-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Overdriven
I do have to do some tuning to the current combination, thicker oil, more preload etc. I'd just like the ride height to be a little higher and a bit more damping. The preload collars are pretty far down already though so the yellows might be better for me.

Edit: My "black" springs are actually stock Aftershock springs part # losb2948 not the optional "Black 6.0lb" losb2951 springs. Unfortunately Losi doesn't list the actual spring rate of the Chrome or Black springs that come on the RTR's so now I gotta decide whether it's going to be black 6.0, yellow or RC Raven.
Isn't the chromes rated 5.0 ?

I just ordered a extra set of dampers as well. It's easier to compare directly by swapping then having to rebuild.

My aim is that I want this truck down low, the opposite of my jumping flux xl.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

I can't find anything on Losi's site saying what the RTR springs are rated for. My truck is an all around type of truck, little pavement, mostly very hilly grass, some dirt, some "fun" track time. So I need some height and stiffness for the 4-5ft landings it sees. After a little research yellows are out, too stiff and I decided the proven combo of RC Ravens with 35 weight is where I'll start.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I run the blue springs with 30wt... I really like this setup....
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chadj1980
I run the blue springs with 30wt... I really like this setup....
I'm not familiar with any blue springs for the LST trucks. More info please, manufacturer, rate, etc.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Tech Regular

@overdriven

Maybe the black ones are rated 5.0lb as well?

Anyway, the more I drive the XXL I realize how much better handling it has compared to the flux XL.

The flux is setup with dirt bonz tires, as low ride height as I could go and sway bars. Been really trying to max out handling. But the XXL just handles so much better.

It will be interesting to compare with new set of shocks.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

@OP

How's the performance of your lipo pack? I'm looking to try some very soon so any input is highly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by LGWGM
@OP

How's the performance of your lipo pack? I'm looking to try some very soon so any input is highly appreciated.
I like it a lot actually. I just bought another for my Wraith. I bought both batteries for about half through the auctions, not just buy it now. Very much worth it for me. Can't say much for longevity as they aren't very old but so far so good!
Old 10-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Gotta link to the lipos?..hey J are you running the 4092?
Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by muney
Gotta link to the lipos?..hey J are you running the 4092?
Just do an eBay search for Hunger lipos. Yeah I'm running the 4092. Its a monster,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.