Wiki Posts
Search

savage flux hp question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default savage flux hp question

Hey guys. I converted my savage flux xl with 1717 back to stock size and normal motor because I kept wearing down tranny gears n diff gears to fast. So now the 1717 is going to sit around until later on convert ut to 5th scale. Since I never had temp issues with the 1717 I was woundering what kind if temps would I be seeing with the 2200kv motor on 6s with stock gearing, ill probably be running stock tires n maybe the savage xl tires.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

That question is impossible to answer, too many variables but here are some::

No one knows how hard you drive it or where you are going to be driving it.
No one knows how loose your drive train is (any binding)
No one knows what battery "6s" (C rating) you are using.
No one knows the ambient temp by you.

The list can go on and on. Only thing that makes any kind of rational sense is to obviously monitor your temps and gear it accordingly.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As stated above, it is impossible to answer that unless we know a WHOLE lot more info. It would be best to just test it yourself.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Well im running 3cell 45c-90c nano techs,I like to drive it pretty hard, everything is stock, I drive mainly on soft short grass, temp outside is usually 70-80 until winter comes. Idk if this can give u guys an Idea but what kind of temps are u guys getting?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Well, they gave you a 'skate around the answer'... answer.

Your temps will go up, no doubt. The 1717 is meant for a larger vehicle, and puts out more torque, compared to the stock 2200kv motor.
Yes, other factors play a role in temps, but if you're doing a direct swap out, and you were running the 1717 with no heat issues, I don't forsee any problems. It'll run hotter, but if you took the XL plates off and went back to stock, it should run cool enough to not worry at all.

As far as wearing out transmission gears and diff gears.... what transmission gears were you wearing out? The drive gear, stock, is made of aluminum, and it WILL erode away with a rapid pace, no matter what motor or batteries you're running. Aluminum vs. hardened steel is a heavily one sided match up, favoring the other gears that aren't aluminum.
Switch that out for the HD Drive gear, and you're good with that...
My suggestion, however, is to look at doing a center differential transplant. There's 2 easy ways to do that right now, 3 if you're either a machinist, or have a hookup that can machine a custom mount for you.

For one, I would EASILY recommend this over any other option. Go to Alza Racing's website, and order one of his center differential kits. They're amazing, and do wonders for this truck. It takes all the extra slop, uneccesary extra gears and bearings out of the equation with the stock transmission, by simply replacing all the gears with a single center differential out of ANY 1/8 buggy/truggy of your choice.
It takes the transmission out, in simpler terms, in favor of a single gear. Makes the truck sound better while running, makes it more responsive on throttle, and gives you a center diff.

The other option, is to replace everything inside the transmission with the parts from the Super-5sc Flux. It's just a 1/5 scale savage, but HPI put a center differential in the gearbox. Only problem being, is that every gear and almost every shaft in the transmission are different as a result. Costs about the same, either way, to do the Alza racing center diff (including an HPI Vorza center diff to buy along with his mounting kit) or the 'true' HPI option. One thing to bear in mind, your gearing with Alza's kit is much more limited, simply because you must use 8T-12T pinions. I would still opt in for this, as it's a much better option. Use the 1717 motor, and the XL plates, and the center diff kit will alleviate all your differential and transmission problems.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

Well, they gave you a 'skate around the answer'... answer.

Your temps will go up, no doubt. The 1717 is meant for a larger vehicle, and puts out more torque, compared to the stock 2200kv motor.
Yes, other factors play a role in temps, but if you're doing a direct swap out, and you were running the 1717 with no heat issues, I don't forsee any problems. It'll run hotter, but if you took the XL plates off and went back to stock, it should run cool enough to not worry at all.

As far as wearing out transmission gears and diff gears.... what transmission gears were you wearing out? The drive gear, stock, is made of aluminum, and it WILL erode away with a rapid pace, no matter what motor or batteries you're running. Aluminum vs. hardened steel is a heavily one sided match up, favoring the other gears that aren't aluminum.
My suggestion, however, is to look at doing a center differential transplant. There's 2 easy ways to do that right now, 3 if you're either a machinist, or have a hookup that can machine a custom mount for you.

For one, I would EASILY recommend this over any other option. Go to Alza Racing's website, and order one of his center differential kits. They're amazing, and do wonders for this truck. It takes all the extra slop, uneccesary extra gears and bearings out of the equation with the stock transmission, by simply replacing all the gears with a single center differential out of ANY 1/8 buggy/truggy of your choice.
It takes the transmission out, in simpler terms, in favor of a single gear. Makes the truck sound better while running, makes it more responsive on throttle, and gives you a center diff.

The other option, is to replace everything inside the transmission with the parts from the Super-5sc Flux. It's just a 1/5 scale savage, but HPI put a center differential in the gearbox. Only problem being, is that every gear and almost every shaft in the transmission are different as a result. Costs about the same, either way, to do the Alza racing center diff (including an HPI Vorza center diff to buy along with his mounting kit) or the 'true' HPI option. One thing to bear in mind, your gearing with Alza's kit is much more limited, simply because you must use 8T-12T pinions. I would still opt in for this, as it's a much better option. Use the 1717 motor, and the XL plates, and the center diff kit will alleviate all your differential and transmission problems.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52
Well, they gave you a 'skate around the answer'... answer..
As opposed to all the slop below?

Your temps will go up, no doubt...
That is just absolute GENIOUS!!!

The 1717 is meant for a larger vehicle, and puts out more torque, compared to the stock 2200kv motor...
Really? No way!

Yes, other factors play a role in temps, but if you're doing a direct swap out, and you were running the 1717 with no heat issues, I don't forsee any problems. It'll run hotter, it should run cool enough to not worry at all....
You keep stating the OBVIOUS. CLEARLY the OP knows this already!

I'm not going to keep going down your list of babbling "upgrades" to purchase and install, the OP did not ask for that..

Foodman, my suggestion to you is to stick to eating.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by got_nitro
As opposed to all the slop below?

That is just absolute GENIOUS!!!

Really? No way!

You keep stating the OBVIOUS. CLEARLY the OP knows this already!

I'm not going to keep going down your list of babbling "upgrades" to purchase and install, the OP did not ask for that..

Foodman, my suggestion to you is to stick to eating.
You are funny, my man.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

Ok guys thanks alot
Old 08-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Seems like got_nitro, got_upset.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 186 (100%+)

I run a savage XL, with big joe, 4s stock gearing on 4s mostly dirt, grass temps are in the mids 130F running at full throttle, outside temps are always in the mids 80F, hope it helps.