Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mach 454 with 427 carb??

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mach 454 with 427 carb??

Hello, I'm new to this site but was a long time member of the lst forums. It looks like their down for good this time......and it sucks big time. So here I am
I've owned a few LST's over 6 years now, and had a lot of fun with them, but I have a question on the carbs between the two.
I see that the Mach 454 venturi is 9.5mm and the Mach 427 is only 7mm. Now what I have done is used the Mach 427 carb with the Mach 454 engine, and was having some second thoughts on using the smaller carb.
Will this make tuning the 454 harder?
Do I use the factory settings for the 427? (the 427 is 4 turns on the high speed and 2 turns on the low and the 454 is 2 3/4 turns on the high speed and 2 1/2 on the low speed). I'm guessing I would use the settings for the 427 carb.
Would the bigger carb make that much difference in power?
I'm using the smaller carb because.....I'm cheap and don't want to dump tones of fuel though it. I rather have longer run times than all out power. I'm hardcore brasher and push my truck to its limits all the time, like launching off of freestyle dirt bike ramps and 20 to 30 foot cliff drops.
I'll post a picture as soon as I can figure out how to upload
Old 08-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Champion

I have both a Mach 427 - but the silver one - and a Losi 454.. Don't know about mixing carbs, but generally speaking, the smaller the venturi, the more low-end punch when it comes to performance, and the better run-time(and sometimes the harder to tune..) I used to avoid going to smaller venturis with my buggy/truggy engines, because I wanted all-out power, but I have been recently.. - I like the feel for ex. of a 7mm over a 9mm. With the smaller venturi the engines feel more responsive(and maybe linear...) Whether you'd notice that in an MT I don't know..

I think the silver Mach has a 9mm carb anyway... And I love the silver Machs..

So yeah, I have no idea.. Sorry.