Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Newbie here..looking for my 1st nitro truck..master pls advise. >

Newbie here..looking for my 1st nitro truck..master pls advise.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie here..looking for my 1st nitro truck..master pls advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

also if your on a limited budget check your local craigslist I live on the cl lol Ive got a bunch of nice trucks off there and the best part is you can meet the owner and get tips and get to see the truck in action and a lot of the times you get extra parts with it as well I just got a losi 8ight with spectrum and a great 427 motor and the guy started at $200 but I ended up getting it for a lot less and took the motor and all nitro stuff off sold them for more then half the cost then got a nice e conversion kit off rc tech and bam for $100 I got a really nice roller then had a flux system laying around and put that in it and now got a nice truggy Ive also bought about 10 losi lst lst2 xxl of the craigslist and the most ive ever paid for any is $300 and that was a lst2 and I never touched the carb and ran that truck for almost 2 years without any problems but broken a arms I always like being able to actually see the truck you plan to buy before you actually buy it and the local cl allows that plus u can bargain so its a win win
Old 10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Adept

Default XXL

XXL is the best!!! but Discontinued everythings been solid on my truck minus the shocks and those brittle F****** front Spindles compared to my buddys savage that he's pretty much replaced Every piece on except for the motor since January. I hate to say this but the savage is a better choice at this point Unless you can get an XXl that already has upgrades on it aka those spindles that ive replaced 3 times already and actually tapped 2 steel plates into at this point because it's basically impossible to find aluminum parts for it.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

I'm surprised that all of you are offering him $500-700 trucks! If he is a newbie, then I suggest he gets something from Traxxas. They have good nitro trucks that are easy to drive. I've personally driven a T-Maxx and a Nitro Stampede and they are both easy to handle. Nitro is awesome but be prepared to do some spending. Have you accounted the cost of fuel, spares, gas to go get spares, bodies, and the tools you will need? All of that together, the total cost over the first year of the truck will be about $400-700 dollars, not counting the truck itself. That is the only reason I don't get a nitro. Here are some links to some good starter trucks:

http://traxxas.com/products/models/n...4nitrostampede

http://traxxas.com/products/models/n...04tmaxxclassic

If you have a bit more cash, these other trucks will do:

http://traxxas.com/products/models/nitro/4907tmaxx33

http://teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/MGT8.0/RTR/

http://teamassociated.com/cars_and_t...MGT4.60/SERTR/

Hope this helps!

Wickedwolf
Old 10-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Your going to get a lot of varried opinions. I've got the the 4.6 associated mgt and would recommend it if it's within your budget. Of course plan for spares into your total cost of ownership in addition to fuel and other operating expenses.
The only mod I did was 4 red springs, FT shock caps,and 50wt oil.
It needs no parts to make it more durable which is what I like. I get the impression that you needed to hop up the traxxas as lots of parts are plastic. The mgt looks like a real truck which I like.
Tack on about 100-125 bucks onto the cost if the mgt itself and I'd say your ready to go with a good sturdy machine.

Last edited by longdoggy; 10-11-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

My view on this is that there are 3 options.

Savage XL if you want a truck that can take a serious beating (extreme beating with mods)

Losi XXL if you want one that can take a beating but handles good.

Savage 4.6 - tons of body options.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

i have a savage xl and i love it. ive had 9 savages and loved them all.. i have also had a couple lst platforms.. lst aftershock, lst2 and lst xxl and i think the lst is a good truck as welll.. out of the 2 it would be hard to choose. just pick the one YOU want and enjoy it.