Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Monster trucks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Default New to Monster trucks

So Cash is flowing these days and i have an rs4 3 i just Ressurected after 10 years and shes running great. So i have speed, now i want something i can really have some off road fun with... There's so many options too choose from, its kind of ovewhelming but i think ive narrowed my search down to a select few.. maybe you guys can shed some light here So my eyes are set on the MGT 8.0 the savage XL and the Revo. Things i really want in place Are Good power and low end torque which i know the MGT is probably best at. Also Ride height to get over most all obstacles. And i want something with a rockk solid tranny because i dont really feel like f ing with gears. And last but not least Toughness... i want something that can take a pounding... i dont usually abuse my toys but i wanna know when it comes down to it what companys gonna be making the most money off spare parts. with all that in mind having some extra opinions would probably help make my choice a little easier.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Old 04-10-2013, 02:59 AM
Tech Champion

Take the Revo off the list, and put the Losi XXL on it - at the top.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lt819
So Cash is flowing these days and i have an rs4 3 i just Ressurected after 10 years and shes running great. So i have speed, now i want something i can really have some off road fun with... There's so many options too choose from, its kind of ovewhelming but i think ive narrowed my search down to a select few.. maybe you guys can shed some light here So my eyes are set on the MGT 8.0 the savage XL and the Revo. Things i really want in place Are Good power and low end torque which i know the MGT is probably best at. Also Ride height to get over most all obstacles. And i want something with a rockk solid tranny because i dont really feel like f ing with gears. And last but not least Toughness... i want something that can take a pounding... i dont usually abuse my toys but i wanna know when it comes down to it what companys gonna be making the most money off spare parts. with all that in mind having some extra opinions would probably help make my choice a little easier.

Thanks in advance,
Matt
Everything about your post screams Truggy! Ride height is not something a truggy has lots of but I can guarantee it will go over anything you throw at it much faster then any MT.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

By far the Traxxas would be making the most off you on spare parts.
Revo=NOT a good choice for durability or offroad bashing
MGT= Not sure, I've never had one. I've heard they're good
Savage XL=Don't get one,

The best option for you would be the Savage X 4.6. They tune easy, are extremely durable, and are big and look really good on the shelf.
I currently own three savages because they are so awesome. And I have no desire to own anything else.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The MGT tranny is pretty solid, complete torque monster, easy platform to work on but your going to need to do a lot mroe things to it out of the box than you will a Losi.. I liked my 8.0 but it's gone with only my Losi's left Oh and i DO love my Revo to..

It kills me when people say Savage for bashing and losi for racing..

This don't look like racing to me..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bigbadbasher: That is the BEST bashing video I have ever seen. Is that your video?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I vote for savage as well. Have bashed mine for over 10 yrs and love every min of it.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Take the Revo off the list, and put the Losi XXL on it - at the top.
THIS !
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Upbasher
Bigbadbasher: That is the BEST bashing video I have ever seen. Is that your video?
Naw, just some other Losi nut smashing the crap out of his XXL and after taking bash after bash it drives away and is ready for more! I honestly don't think many MT's would take that, most would break in half..

If you have the cash, skip the rest and do yourself a favor and buy the Losi, it's easily the BEST MT available on the market right now.. Hell, even a LST2 would be a good choice but if your new to Nitro i suggest buying new. If you do buy a Losi, you won't regret it, you also wouldn't regret the 8.0, i don't care for HPI stuff myself but that's just my opinion many other RC'ers love theirs so..
Old 04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Tech Adept

I have a savage x4.6 and it's a lot of fun to bash with. From what I understand the newer one's are not of the same quality/quality control as the older one's so you may want to take that into consideration. I think the mgt is a cool monster truck myself but never owned one. And everybody recommends the losi xxl for good reason it's a great rtr compared to it's competition, but I can guarantee you the one in the video suffered damage. I would also recommend you consider a truggy. If you don't know much about truggies look into them, they are a very good platform.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Did somebody say Truggy?~?~? I LOVE MY TRUGGIES!! The UPS man just dropped off two more today!
Old 04-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Losi whatever (XXL, LST, Aftershock)

all awesome and built tough
Old 04-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigbadbasher
Did somebody say Truggy?~?~? I LOVE MY TRUGGIES!! The UPS man just dropped off two more today!
All Losi's ? Got plans on how your going to set them up etc.?
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Losi whatever, hells yea! Can't argue with that!

All Losi's indeed, i have a RTR already that i bought a few weeks ago, it's finally broke in..

Here are the two i bought this week..

This one is a converted TLR kit, brushless with the Tekin Rx8 / T8 2050..

This one is the TLR kit with a werks B5..

Im pretty pumped up, im soldering a deans on to the 8ight T E right now, i bought like 6 batteries the other day so im ready to rock!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Tech Adept

WOW! Nice score! The nitro one looks next to new. Nice trucks dude. Looks like your set for a while. Not sure if you've run brushless truggy and I know your a nitro guy but for me brushless truggy is the pinnacle of ground rc.....look out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.