Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
HPI Savage XL electric popping batteries? >

HPI Savage XL electric popping batteries?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Savage XL electric popping batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HPI Savage XL electric popping batteries?

Gday guys,

i have a savage xl that has been converted to electric with a mamba monster esc and mamba 2200kv motor.
i have been running it on 4s 5400mah 50c, i run these same packs in my 1/8 buggy (tekin rx8 + 1950kv) and have no problem but when i use them in the XL they get super hot and swell up, i have even popped 2, i have played with the gearing and it seems to be fine is the motor doesnt overheat.

have any of you had this problem with your monster trucks? i was also wondering if running i higher c rating or high c rated 5s would make any difference?

any help would be appreciated.

cheers, peter
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have a similar issue with my Mt4G3. I have a $50 5000mah gens ace 4s pack. The pack worked great for about a month and then it started puffing on me every time I ran it. After talking to a couple local guys who have lots of experience with lipos, they talked me into getting the same size pack from Thunder Power. The Thunder Power pack was $190 which seems very steep. Since buying this pack over a year ago, I haven't had any issues. Although I could buy 4 Gens Ace packs for that price, I guess I would just end up with 4 pieces of shit that are time bombs waiting to catch on fire and ruin my truck. For every good review of the cheap Gens Ace, Turnigy, or other bargain brand lipo I read, I can find a bad one. I feel if your gonna go brushless you need good batteries. I'm sure there are plenty of good brands out there other than Thunder Power. For my money that's what I think I will buy from now on.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Micah78
I have a similar issue with my Mt4G3. I have a $50 5000mah gens ace 4s pack. The pack worked great for about a month and then it started puffing on me every time I ran it. After talking to a couple local guys who have lots of experience with lipos, they talked me into getting the same size pack from Thunder Power. The Thunder Power pack was $190 which seems very steep. Since buying this pack over a year ago, I haven't had any issues. Although I could buy 4 Gens Ace packs for that price, I guess I would just end up with 4 pieces of shit that are time bombs waiting to catch on fire and ruin my truck. For every good review of the cheap Gens Ace, Turnigy, or other bargain brand lipo I read, I can find a bad one. I feel if your gonna go brushless you need good batteries. I'm sure there are plenty of good brands out there other than Thunder Power. For my money that's what I think I will buy from now on.
Well said!!
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the reply! i will give that one a crack and hopefuly it works out or its going to be another expensive failure haha.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

could be the packs can't hold up to the strain you putting them under, especially with the extra weight of the truck.

another option when they get in stock, the IP 7200 80C 4S lipos from promatch would be a great option too.