Wiki Posts
Search

What motor for a heavy savage xl?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I would think that LRP 30 should outperform the .32.. The 30 already has more than enough torque, and will certainly have more top end than a .32.. So what's the point of a .32? Running uphill in mud maybe, or pulling stuff...

And yes, all you need is the backplate from the pullstart version for the LRP 30X. It's not like the older LRP Spec 3 p/s and truggy version, where you couldn't switch because of the nub on the crank....(or rather a lack of one on the truggy version...)
Yeh im leaning more towards the lrp 30x and converting it to the pullstart or rotostart and havig it modded.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Suspended

Im adding another engine to the list of choices. I been reading up on the sh .28 engines. Looks like ercm mods them and sells them for cheap. What do you guys have to say about that engine?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by EH23
Im sure it will buddy. If its with in ur budget go for it! I made the mistake of buying a "off the self pipe" and ended up selling it, now I'm saving up for an ERCM end bleed lol. Ur motor has a little over a gallon on it right? What gearing are u running? Does the truck wheelie?
I just looked at my gearing and im running 16/49 gears.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

IMHO an SH .28 (which is the same as an LRP Spec 3, Losi 454, and very close to a Dynamite Big Red .28.., among various other rebadged versions of the dame engine..) is a great basher MT engine.. If you're talking a really heavy XL though, I might lean towards the .30...

I personally would not bother with a modded engine.. Get that ERCM pipe or whatever instead... Or a Picco Boost .28.. (or both...)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lemonbrisk
I just looked at my gearing and im running 16/49 gears.
Hmmm maybe the 30vg needs a full gollon through it till it starts to lossen up. I have heard tho the lrp 30 is more powerfull then the OS 30vg. The lrp 30x converted to pull start is cool to but if ur gonna spend that much u might as well get the picco boost 28 pull start. ERCM SH 28 is an excellent choice, I saw a few vids on youtube and they look like real performers, great bang for the buck!

ERCM modded motor + ERCM pipe = game the fcuk over!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Yeah im definatly gonna give this motor time to break in and get a ercm pipe asap
Old 03-05-2013, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

why buy the bumpstart lrp 30 and then have to get the backplate and pullstart when the pullstart lrp 30 is good enough for the savage , it has 4.25 hp and it will be plenty enough for the savage ........if ur os 30 is not lifting ur savage then u dont have it tuned right that motor has enough torque to pull out tree stumps .
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Adept

It really boils down to how much you want to spend,I have the bigred in my lst2 and it will wheely on demand and it cost me 130bucks its a lil thirsty tho..The os .30 im not imprested with at all,I guarantee the big red would leeve the os 30 in the dust..a good cheap engine also is the stock 454 slap a better carb and your set..
Old 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great thread. I am in the same boat, I have finally burnt out the stock .32.

I have been trying to do my research but so many options out there. Whats the ultimate combo to have for the Savage XL?

ZR.30 & ERCM Pipe? I see all the other options the ZR.32, Bigred .28, picco .28 and a few more have been tossed out there.

I know I will get burnt for this but I didnt have horrible luck with the stock motor, should I just new pistons and sleeve it? It seemed to be down on power for its size from day one though. It would get up to some serious speed, but no wheelie action like I see the rest have.

So whats the majority say the best setup for the savage xl for the backyard/parking lot basher?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Boosted2000si
Great thread. I am in the same boat, I have finally burnt out the stock .32.

I have been trying to do my research but so many options out there. Whats the ultimate combo to have for the Savage XL?

ZR.30 & ERCM Pipe? I see all the other options the ZR.32, Bigred .28, picco .28 and a few more have been tossed out there.

I know I will get burnt for this but I didnt have horrible luck with the stock motor, should I just new pistons and sleeve it? It seemed to be down on power for its size from day one though. It would get up to some serious speed, but no wheelie action like I see the rest have.

So whats the majority say the best setup for the savage xl for the backyard/parking lot basher?
The ultimate basher/drag race engine would be this, http://clockworkracingengines.com/co...rt-cre-pic9656 in stock form it would walk all over every engine mentioned...
Old 03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigThyperST
why buy the bumpstart lrp 30 and then have to get the backplate and pullstart when the pullstart lrp 30 is good enough for the savage , it has 4.25 hp and it will be plenty enough for the savage ........if ur os 30 is not lifting ur savage then u dont have it tuned right that motor has enough torque to pull out tree stumps .
Because the lrp 30 only revs up to 32,000 and the lrp 30x revs up to 38,000 rpm and the higher rpms the more top end i would think. Thats my reason for wanting it. But i also think the picco 28 is a nice mill.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Usually smaller block engine-higher revving..Look at the Mgt 8.0 it relies on tourque and displacment for the low end grunt.Now something like a .21 whatever brand will prob have double the rpm of the 8.0..Guess its all prefrence of what your looking for..my2

This is my lst2 from a few years back,its got the 30x conv over to roto.wasnt realy impresed with it to be honest,sure wheels all day but no top end whatsoever.

Last edited by chris3829; 03-05-2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: cheeburga
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Suspended

no shit.. thats odd.. everyone i talk to that has had the lrp 30x has said that its insane for top speed and power.. but maybe ur right.. if i do get another motor i will probably get a picco.. ive seen picco .28 with ercm pipes and they freakin scream.. first thing im gonna do is get a ercm pipe and try it on my os 30.. then we will go from there..

Heres a short video i made with some small clips i had made with a camera. Sorry for the poor quality and poor sound..
http://youtu.be/IcvovbaDnOQ

Last edited by Lemonbrisk; 03-05-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

Here's my LRP 30X (Nosram rebadge actually) in my SC8...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I got it dirt cheap when they were being sold off. I paid €63 shipped. Had to pay €35 just for the rotostart from Tower... Eventually I plan to put it in an LST2, but right now it's too much fun in the SC8..(still bumpstart) So far it's a great, very easy to tune, powerful and fun engine.. But yeah, the price makes it automatically nicer.

Given equal prices I'd probably take the Picco - not because my Nosram isn't awesome, but just because people talk up Piccos all the time, and I finally want to try one(these SH's just won't die though..) I think if the Picco were 30 bucks more, I might tend to the Picco. More than 30 I don't know.. Just me and my sense of value though.. And there's always Losi 454's for 100 bucks on ebay.. - and tuned right they can rip too. I have two LST2's, one with a 454, and one with a Big Red, and have been extremely happy with both. I'm kind of keen to try that Picco Boost .28 though. But if the price is right, the LRP 30X is without a doubt an awesome engine IMHO. All of these SH engines have been incredibly easy to break in and tune btw.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

that zr30x screams! I can tell it revs higher than the z28s3. cant wait to put it in my revo...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.