Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Does any have this problem with Spektrum SR3300T >

Does any have this problem with Spektrum SR3300T

Does any have this problem with Spektrum SR3300T

Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Default Does any have this problem with Spektrum SR3300T

Hi,

just want to get some info/experience if anyone had this problem with their spektrum SR3300T. I suspect my 3 units of SR3300T now is faulty with one barely working. I am baffled now...the SR3300T Rx is not cheap!

Spec of the SR3300T
TypeSMŽ receiver with integrated telemetry# of Channels:3Modulation:2.4GHzLength:1.60 in (41mm)Width:1.06 in (27mm)Height:0.58 in (15mm)Weight:.4 oz (11 g)Voltage Range:3.2–9.6V

I have been using my SR3300T for more than 2 years with 7.4V lipo via a 6.6V Rx regulators - no issues, all ports are inserted properly. no power source goes into the telemetry ports in the Rx.

Note: 2 years without any problem.

a) i switched all my Servo from standard 6V servos to Savox HV servo (1268 - 25kg at 7.4V) connected via the same regulator @6.6V without any problem - close to 6+ months.

b) what the heck - I use a HV but can only attain ~18kg for torque..since the Rx SR3300T can take input of 9.6V, i can plug in the 7.4V lipo(10c - low discharge - same lipo as the Tx) direct into the Rx SR3300T and its internal electronics can take it..thus connecting a HV voltage would gives me the desired output voltage of close to ~7.4V to my Savox HV servo...all is well and i am satisfied with the torque produced from my HV savox.

c) suddenly - my satisfaction was shortlived..after several months (probably around 2 months), one by one my Rx SR3300T failed..the first one just went dead while my MT was in motion..the 2nd one also the same on another MT..but the 3rd one on a different MT - before it finally died, i manage to switched back to going via my Rx regulator - but the steering 'misbehave'..it was normal for about 1 minute then it slowed down...very little torque..i switched to a new servo - same thing. I tried 5 different servo, same result..i notice this - when the steering started to slow down, i turn it off, let the Rx cool down for about 5 minute, then turn it back on, the steering response is fast, then it started to slow down again...

my thoughts,

I don't think i did anything wrong in the connection as I am quite an experience RCer and understand basic electronics quite well. now the published specs of the SR3300T gives me some doubts as to what Spektrum claims to say that their SR3300T (and maybe any other Rx produced by Spektrum in the same series) input voltage is max at 9.6V but if the amount of voltage used as input is more than the normal 6.0V NiMH, the electronic circuit components (esp the on board BEC in the Rx) gets hot..it gets too hot over time that it failed..note: over time in my case is ~ 2 months of weekly use.

Does anyone has this experience before with their Spektrum Rx SR3300T.

now if want to claim this from Spektrum, damn, i dunno if spektrum(or Horizon) are going to replace it or otherwise..i have used it for more than 2 years, bought it of new from chopshop on ebay. I am a bit disappointed as what I did to use 7.4V input is within the specs of the 3.2-9.6V limit as published by Spektrum. If it cannot take 7.4V input, then it defeats the purpose of using a HV servo..note: I am assuming that it needs to be a straight forward input with the HV servo connectors, also straight forward input into the Rx..

I have seen some people did a HV servo reverse-bypass such that Rx input is via an external 6V BEC (or 6.6V BEC) but the HV power source (black and red cable) comes directly from before the external BEC..this still does not prove that the Rx can take more than 6.6V direct, ie a 7.4Lipo. There is nothing the in Spektrum manual that says 'if you want to use, more than 6V input, your connection must be done this way.....".

i dunno if Horizon is willing to replace my 3 SR3300T or otherwise. I am very disappointed, actually as I cannot utilize my HV Servo to its full capability.

Appreciate feedback/ideas/share of experience from others.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:04 PM
Suspended

Mine has been doing a lot of the same stuff. if I was you I would send it back
Old 03-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Bulldozer69
Mine has been doing a lot of the same stuff. if I was you I would send it back
oh, you do experience the same thing. dang! looks like i have to settle for a 6.5V Rx via regulator input for my HV servo when using SR3300T.

i will send it back then. hopefully A-Mains(Spektrum) is willing to replace all my 3 SR3300T eventhough it is already out of warranty and its international (bought it off ebay US).

thanks for the response dude.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have had 2 in different cars just stop working on me , using 2s and only running on what the BEC in the ESC was putting out ......Since you are way past warranty they will charge you like 60 dollars each to fix them (trade in program) ......
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
I have had 2 in different cars just stop working on me , using 2s and only running on what the BEC in the ESC was putting out ......Since you are way past warranty they will charge you like 60 dollars each to fix them (trade in program) ......
whoa..is that right. But i followed the operating specs tho...my operating voltage at only 7.4V is between its published 3.2V~9.6V, and 3 SR3300T failed progressively within 2-3 months of use at 7.4V. Then Spektrum should not published it as operating voltage: 3.2-7.4V then..regardless, those who bought/using HV servos at 7.4V would not get the max torque it was supposed to.

dangg..before i send it out first, i will write an email both Spektrum and Amains(US) to share my experience on this since my 3 units of SR3300T was bought in the US.

thanks for the input man!