Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Revo

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm going to go against the grain and give a nod to the Revo. Have had both, and they have both seen track time and bash time. Quarry pits, backyard bombing, construction sites, that kind of stuff.

Overall, I preferred the way the Revo drove and handled. Seems more agile to me, and the suspension is fantastic. Lots of tuning options too...was playing with the internal gear ratios and settled on the close ratio 2 speed. Nice feature. Mine's an original 2.5 and have had 2 2.5's and now upgraded to 3.3 specs and they've all run well with no issues. (The 2.5 in my Jato was very temperamental though.) Agree with the above poster - the 2.5 with the shorter wheelbase was much more lively than the 3.3 set-up. I've had no problems with it at all, just normal wear and tear. Did demolish a front suspension arm, but I misjudged a turn and clipped a steel washpole at speed. Chalk that one up to driver error. Aside from various wheels, tires, and bodies over the years, only mods I've made along the way were FOC, upgraded to the red turnbuckles and pushrods, added swaybars and converted to pull start. Really haven't done anything else to it - never saw a need to really. Pulled it off the shelf last summer after 2 years of sitting and converted it to a slayer - it fired right up and ran good.

My Savage was a .25SS kit from back in the day. Did have some issues with it - only monster truck I've ever had that cracked an engine block in 1/2. Landed upside-down off a jump ...think that's more of a freak issue than anything. Did have some issues tuning both of the motors - first and replacement (same .25), only seemed to run well when it was way hot - 300-330?? but that's where they liked to run. Was always concerned about burning up, but never had a problem. Like everyone else, shredded a rear diff, and broke a turnbuckle. Otherwise it held up very well. Only thing I disliked on the Savage was the gas tank. Aside from breaking constantly, it tends to lean out as it empties. The Maxx tanks do the same. Added quite a few mods to that one - 3 speed (PITA) HPI's suspension upgrade, and the dual disk brakes. Sold it years ago, just lost interest in it. Having said that, I just picked up a newer 4.6 kit with a load of mods for a 4 stroke platform. The extra beef lends itself better imo. Looks like the exact same truck! I know there are quite a few differences, but overall the truck has changed little over the years.

Still have my original pro-15 T-Maxx as well, though it's quite a different truck today. Gobs of issues with that one, but they've come a long way. Can't really say how the new ones fare.

Really, it's a subjective question. As with any platform, each truck has strengths and weaknesses, fans and flamers. Can't go wrong with either really.

Summer's coming, and should have both back on the road shortly. The Slayer conversion was a waste...much better as a Revo, and going back to it..may go with the 2.5 chassis and the 3.3 just for giggles.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The mods were talking about are for the serious basher. I.e my flux sees wheelies at 60ish mph, curbs get slammed. It usually has atleast 10ft of air under it, while doing backflips and front flips. Landing on the throttle, standing back flips. My savage is my basher, I don't run my race trucks unless I'm at the track so the savage gets abused. Many botched landings, curbs/trees/whatever at close to full speed.

Basically if I say to myself, man that would be cool, but I'm not sure the the truck can do it.. I try it with the savage.

If you're looking for something to run a tank through in the backyard, than the mods ive recommended are excessive. My truck is usually taken to the gravel pit and beat on for an afternoon, than it's put back in the closet until next time. When I first got the truck it was not standing up to that kind of abuse, however over time Ive done the mods and it really is bullet proof.

The rear tie rods are still weak. After a few tumbles, the inner tie rod end mount will snap off the diff housing, and you will need to replace it. Instead of doing that, I did the rear hub carrier upgrade and never replace the broken mount because it no longer needs to be there. The rear carrier are cheap, $40 max.

The savage is heavy, and only has 2 servo. You will be replacing the servo.

The stock slipper sucks. If it slips once, you're replacing it as the slipper disk turns to dust after the 1st run with any slippage. Many people lock the slipper, but that just shocks the driveline too much for my liking.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

How does the Associated MGT 8.0 compare?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by racer12306
How does the Associated MGT 8.0 compare?
Any thoughts?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer12306
Any thoughts?
Wish I could tell you but I haven't got a chance to run mine because of snow.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

Honestly they all have their pros and cons...... But I think the revo looks the best.

Run what people run in your area. Local support goes a long way.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by XXX8ight
Honestly they all have their pros and cons...... But I think the revo looks the best.

Run what people run in your area. Local support goes a long way.

For me the Revo looks awesome with the platinum edition bodyshell and the Tekno RC / Jconcepts wing..planning to get them soon for my Revo
Old 03-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

The mgt is a decent truck the 8.0 is a fuel hog. I have had them all and currently have a Lst Xxl. It is by far my favorite, but I also have had really good luck with the Revos. I have owned several and never had problems with them breaking. If you go with the revo seal the motor good and maybe put the losi carb on it. The rest of the upgrades are really not necessary right off.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

In my opinion depends on what you will be doing with the truck. If your going to bash it. Then savage is the way to go. If your going to race REVO has proven itself many times to be a capable race truck. As far as tuning issues and power yes it's a small block. But if you take time and learn how to tune out the motor you will have a 3.3 that will sit and idle like a singer sewing machine. I have a platinum edition that I got in 2008. To this day I am still running it pretty much like it was out of the box. Only changes I have made is electronics and installed a m2c chassis brace. Arms, carriers bulkheads are all still original. I raced my revo in Texas the last year that monster truck was a class on the Rc pro series. I have been. Through 4 or 5 motors and bodies but no after market arms driveline parts like that have been used. The ONLY issue I have had was in the transmission where I stripped the primary input gear but that was due to an over tight slipper. If someone takes the time to pay attention and learn the revo you will fall in love with it.

I would take my REVO and run it against any series of other truck without worry. Now for a truck to just beat til you think it will drop. A savage is your best bet. It wi take the abuse of a good ole bashing and keep coming back for more.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

savage all the way.. ive had 9 revos, and 7 savages and i always find myself going back to savages.. if u want a rocket.. get a revo and mount a big block in it.. if u want a tank and a truck u can pound on.. get a savage xl.. or savage x.. two best trucks for the money.. just my .2
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

the Svg XL is quite tough..one time my friend's XL hit a pile of broken bricks at a construction site..the truck was in high speed ( he was testing the 3rd gear ) and he only broke the gigante bodyshell and chipped the front skid plate..the truck survived and the bashing activity continues
Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, im new to the site here but i have also had experiance with both. Tank is the correct word for a savage, but it is tough. Although i dont usually just go somewheres and see how bad i can break or smash the truck! My pockects arent quite deep enough for that. I will say if ur gonna be on a track of any sort i would go for a revo hands down. The maxx is a descent truck but still has more weak spots than the others (especially the 2.5 4910 model), but with a few upgrades can be a real reliable truck.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JJM Motorsports
Hey guys, im new to the site here but i have also had experiance with both. Tank is the correct word for a savage, but it is tough. Although i dont usually just go somewheres and see how bad i can break or smash the truck! My pockects arent quite deep enough for that. I will say if ur gonna be on a track of any sort i would go for a revo hands down. The maxx is a descent truck but still has more weak spots than the others (especially the 2.5 4910 model), but with a few upgrades can be a real reliable truck.
agreed