Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Monster Trucks
Anyone own a DHK Maximus?  Need your opinion. >

Anyone own a DHK Maximus? Need your opinion.

Anyone own a DHK Maximus? Need your opinion.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Anyone own a DHK Maximus? Need your opinion.

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering picking up the DHK Maximus monster truck to compliment the rest of my RC's.

I sadly missed the issue of RC Driver that featured this vehicle, but does anyone personally own it and can give me their opinion? Or did anyone by chance read that article and can let me know the conclusion they came to?

Thanks everyone.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by yoster
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering picking up the DHK Maximus monster truck to compliment the rest of my RC's.

I sadly missed the issue of RC Driver that featured this vehicle, but does anyone personally own it and can give me their opinion? Or did anyone by chance read that article and can let me know the conclusion they came to?

Thanks everyone.
I do not own the truck however after looking it over here's the suspect components I can see off hand, a lot of aluminum with heavy die ablating marks indicates a very very soft aluminum alloy, a giant fan on the motor should not be needed unless something is very inefficient or the motor is poorly wound or both. otherwise the chassis layout looks good bumpers look well designed if parts are available its a decent ride but the price seems quite steep for the components you get when you could find a used truggy that would handle a lot more abuse than this can.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks, but just want to make sure you're looking at the right thing? There's no fan on the motor:

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...truck-4s.html#

edit - hmm, the rc driver one they tested did have a fan. Strange - I see what you mean.

Well I know the Optimus XL (their buggy) has been getting good reviews - maybe I'll just take the plunge.. we'll see

Last edited by yoster; 02-14-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Tech Rookie

just bought 1. thing is awsome. crazy fast. broke rear hub after full speed run ,hit brakes then cartwheeled at least5 times . i cant believe it didnt break more.this truck is awsome!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by joe osban
just bought 1. thing is awsome. crazy fast. broke rear hub after full speed run ,hit brakes then cartwheeled at least5 times . i cant believe it didnt break more.this truck is awsome!!!!!!
Thanks for posting! I'll be interested to see how it holds up for you. If you could keep me updated (via PMs or this thread) I'd appreciate it.

How are the motor temps after a few hard runs?

How is the stock steering servo?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

I made the mistake of throwing my money down the toilet by buying an Optimus XL. What a total piece of junk. If you like going fast in a straight line and striping and having to buy hubs every time you make a tire change then by all means go ahead. Extremely poor materials and build quality. The car has spent more time waiting for overpriced, poorly constructed parts than it has run time. I have had to replace the transmitter and receiver(ESC wouldn't leave programming mode with the stock Tx/Rx installed), ESC, batteries, hubs (all 4, twice), shock tower, on/off switch, pinion gear, front diff cups, dog bones and another handful of small misc plastic parts. I have been in the RC world a while and haven't abused this car at all. I find it odd that there is so much good hype about this company. I fell for it. Anytime I talk to someone about a DHK product they all say the same thing; "I wasted my money on this piece of junk!"
With the money I've spent trying to upgrade and keep it running I could've bought a nice Associated RTR or high quality roller. DON'T DO IT!

Last edited by RC.McGuyver; 05-05-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Forgot text
Old 12-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

I own a Maximus an Optimus and their new Hunter short course. I had ESC issues with the Maximus. But DHK / Hobby People resolved that issue. I have found that things don't break that easy. I am wearing out parts more than breaking them. The poster above obviously does NOT OWN a DHK truck or buggy. Otherwise he would know that standard buggy rims and tires fit the Optimus. So far I have had great success with my DHK cars.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

Regardless of what has been said in this thread, what I'm about to say is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Don't buy it! For the money your gonna lay down to purchase the kit, and the money you're gonna throw down to make it bullet proof, which really can't be done any way, you're far better off buying something else like a Stampede, Slash, Halix, SC8.2e, etc. My buddy at work just picked this kit up a month ago and while it looks good, IT isn't. Spend you're money wisely and get something like I mentioned above.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

I'm enjoying the heck our of my DHK trucks. I'm accustomed to high quality trucks like Kyosho and Associated. These trucks from DHK rank right up there.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Rookie

I've owned traxxas, team associated, dhk, tamiya. It is obvious that some of these people don't have dhk products. I have an Optimus brushless and really enjoy it. I've had it for over a year now. I've bashed like crazy and nothing has broken on it except the front bumper (which was my fault, running straight at a sidewalk trying to jump up on it.) my next purchase will be a Maximus. I've found that there are always people on these forums that look at what they see and speak without really knowing what they are talking about. Also, it doesn't matter what type of rc you go with, they break. Fixing them is part of the fun. My dhk is no racer but it is tough and fast. My friend has an associated truck and my Optimus beat the pants off it every time until he upgraded the lipo in it. (Then his esc burned out, I still laugh to myself) Hope you enjoy your Maximus as I know I'll enjoy mine.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have owned my DHK Maximus for 5 months now. It's a mixed bag. In general, I'd have to recommend AGAINST buying it. There are three reasons for that:

1. The stock electronics tend to fail, so you have to factor in the cost of a new motor and ESC

2. Aftermarket support does not exist – all replacement parts must be purchased from a dealer

3. The motor mount is non-standard and very hard to work with when replacing a motor

Don’t be taken in by it being a “good deal” just because it comes with batteries and a charger. The charger is a wall-wart trickle charger. It takes hours to charge one battery. Considering that the truck runs on two batteries, the charger is basically worthless. The Lipo batteries that come with it are just OK. You may get ten minutes of run time with them. Better batteries will give you more torque and considerably more run time. I get half an hour of run time with Gens Ace 7000Mah 50C batteries.

On a positive side, the truck is fast, stable and pretty durable after you upgrade the electronics. I bent a rear shock tower, but it was easy to bend back and has not bent since then. I broke the rear bumper at the lower mounting point, but replaced it with one made by T-Bone Racing for the DHK Optimus.

As long as you are pretty handy and don’t mind the cost of replacing some electronic parts right away, you will end up with a very nice truck. However, after weighing the pros and cons, I ultimately cannot recommendation to buy it.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Iv never owned one so take this for what it's worth, for the price I would sooner get a used name brand truck. Better part support and (I would assume) better quality. I have purchased cheaper kits before and always regretted it primarily due to lack of part support. Again just my opinion.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Maximus

Originally Posted by yoster
Hi all,

Thanks everyone.
yes I have a DHK Maximus and I’ll tell you this the truck is bad ass I’ve had one problem and that is with the shock towers bending so I ordered a part to reinforce the front tower but they don’t make anything for the back yet that I’m a where of but besides that it’s worth getting I will say that the truck is so fast it will really surprise you