Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rebuilding shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Tech Initiate

Default rebuilding shocks

hey there guys! i am rebuilding my pro-line shocks since i busted one ovewr the weekend while bashing. i have never rebuilt shocks but have a couple of the proline rebuiold kits on the way....ive taken the busted one apart and doesnt seem hard to rebuild them, but what i dont know is which oil i should use for the front and back that would be best for bashing. any help would be great! thanks for the help and your time guys!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Tech Adept

If you could tell is what truck you're running, where you're running, and how you want the truck to handle, that would be helpful. But in general:

-30 weight fluid is very 'soft' and will allow shocks to cycle very quickly for slower but more supply suspension action
- 50 or 60 is more firm and will let the truck transfer weight and load up in corners without tipping over, good for track usage perhaps, or a blend of bashing on-road and off-road
- 80+ is what some people run if they do really severe jumping or run on-road with a lowered suspension

In my E-Maxx, I have 30 weight fluid and one 2.5 pound spring and one 5.1 pound spring per corner. This is pretty soft, but depending on where the shocks are mounted it can either be very plush or moderately firm. The next time I build my shocks I'll fill them with 40 weight fluid.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by adanmtxt1
If you could tell is what truck you're running, where you're running, and how you want the truck to handle, that would be helpful. But in general:

-30 weight fluid is very 'soft' and will allow shocks to cycle very quickly for slower but more supply suspension action
- 50 or 60 is more firm and will let the truck transfer weight and load up in corners without tipping over, good for track usage perhaps, or a blend of bashing on-road and off-road
- 80+ is what some people run if they do really severe jumping or run on-road with a lowered suspension

In my E-Maxx, I have 30 weight fluid and one 2.5 pound spring and one 5.1 pound spring per corner. This is pretty soft, but depending on where the shocks are mounted it can either be very plush or moderately firm. The next time I build my shocks I'll fill them with 40 weight fluid.
i have a pede 4x4 vxl. first rc ive ever owned ill admit lol. so the whole suspension thing is still new to me on RCs. i got it used with a ton of upgrades, (mamba motor and esc all rpm, x-duty integy drive shafts etc...) i mostly bash on ramps and local gravel pit but i do have a set of street tires for when i feel the need to take it to the street and ramp around with it. is there a site or something with good info on what springs are what? shopping around for parts here n there ive noticed they are mostly color coded. stock the proline ones have a short black spring on top with a longer white one on the bottom.