Community
Wiki Posts
Search

monster GT vs revo

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Default monster GT vs revo

Im new to anything but electric powered or gas powered. Ive been finding some killer deals for the revo and the mgt. I originally wanted to start with a t-maxx but not when i can find them for ~275 each NIB

my friend has the revo and from what ive seen the revo looks really nice. The suspension is what amazed me. Its also cheaper than the mgt, and ive read the mgt has cheaper built parts.

I also could get a tmaxx for ~175, but i dont want to be dissapointed.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have driven both and I would go with the Revo, especially if you are into racing. If you are just going to goof around with it around the streets or the backyard, then either would be fine, or even a T-Maxx in that case. Don't blow off the T-Maxx so easily, because even though the Revo is superior to it in terms of handling, it is still quite a capable truck. The MGT has a bigger displacement engine than the Revo (.21 vs the Revo's .15), but it is a bit heavier.

Both truck handle about the same, but the Revo seems to have a bit more stability in terms of high speed cornering, whereas the MGT felt like it was going to flip if you don't ease on the throttle. The Revo wins in my book, and its other big advantages are parts availability (Both stock and aftermarket), and the ease of operation for the average joe, thanks to its EZ-Start system.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally posted by Thai3g_Eclipse
I have driven both and I would go with the Revo, especially if you are into racing. If you are just going to goof around with it around the streets or the backyard, then either would be fine, or even a T-Maxx in that case. Don't blow off the T-Maxx so easily, because even though the Revo is superior to it in terms of handling, it is still quite a capable truck. The MGT has a bigger displacement engine than the Revo (.21 vs the Revo's .15), but it is a bit heavier.

Both truck handle about the same, but the Revo seems to have a bit more stability in terms of high speed cornering, whereas the MGT felt like it was going to flip if you don't ease on the throttle. The Revo wins in my book, and its other big advantages are parts availability (Both stock and aftermarket), and the ease of operation for the average joe, thanks to its EZ-Start system.
thats what i was afraid of. i watched a few videos of the mgt and they never made large jumps, it seemed to get wobbly easier. i also saw the 100 foot jump by the revo on concrete .... i was quite impressed.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Adept

All the pics I have seen of the MGT it looks like it's base design is exactly the same as teh T-Maxx... I am still trying to work out what is diferent from the T-Maxx other than Engine size.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:38 AM
Tech Adept

Get a Savage
Old 04-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Falcon - There's really not much at all that's similar to a T-maxx, actually. You can check here for proof:

http://www.wildhobbies.com/news/defa...articleid=1119

The Monster GT is an awesome truck. The only things you need to do would be to get better shock springs as the stockers are too soft and give the truck a tendancy to roll. Also take the battery out of the battery channel and plug it into the AUX channel. This bypasses the BEC and gives you 6.0 volts instead. Helps steering tremendously.
Not really sure where you get the idea that the MGT is "wobbly" either. When I first saw the truck I didn't think it was going to handle well, but when I picked one up I was exteremly surprised at how it handled. It also jumps amazingly. Pretty much perfectly level every time. I rarely even have to blip the throttle or tap the brake to level 'er out. It also soaks up everything I've managed to throw at it. It's a VERY capable basher, ultra tough.
The engine isn't the most powerful out there but it'll still out accel a Savage and gets the truck up over 30MPH (mine hits a bit over 35 with the FOC installed). It's also the most reliable engine you will run...EVER.
For racing, it's also very capable. Get some stiffer springs, FOC and some bow-ties (or whatever maxx sized tired will hook-up best on your track) and you'll be ultra competative. We've got a guy on our MGT forums elsewhere who races against Revos and hangs with 'em. Sometimes he wins....sometimes they win. It's a really well balanced truck. Here are some pictures to prove it can handle what you throw it it and that it, despite what you may think, is actually sure footed.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:43 PM
Tech Adept

Mike... Not wanting to be obtuse, but you have in fact showed the same pic that led me to my conclusion
Look at hte design,
Duel shocks on virticle towers.
Verticly mounted bulkheads on the ends of a Tub Chassi.
Dule A Arm Suspension.
It is the same fundamentle design as a T-Maxx. And I would expect has the same propensity to blow shock towers and Bulkheads
Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Tech Addict

Get a Savage....

look at the vids on this page....
http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/savage...age_mnfeat.htm
And this page.... Be sure to watch all of them....
http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/savage...l/overload.htm
Old 04-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Falcon - If you're going to go by that...then pretty much every monster truck on the market is the same fundamental design as the T-maxx, other than the Revo.

1.) Do not most trucks have dual shocks mounted on Vertical towers? T-maxx, MGT, Savage, TNX etc...
2.) The Bulks are mounted completely different. First off, they're aluminum, not plastic. If you break one, I'd be very impressed. Secondly, they're not held in place simply by the screws that go into the bumper mounts. I have not ever heard of anyone breaking a bulkhead.
Thirdly, The chassis is COMPLETELY different than the T-maxx. It's an extruded aluminum chassis, single peice. Not a "3-peice tub" chassis like that of the T-maxx. The MGT simply has mud-guards on the side.
3.) Dual a-arm suspension. Another wonder from the T-maxx that is on pretty much EVERY monster truck. T-maxx, MGT, Savage, TNX, and even the Revo. And no, the MGT a-arms are NOT identical.

I think you should make a judgement on something more than a simple over-head photograph. The one thing that is really T-maxx'ish is the tranny casing, but the stuff inside is definitely different. It also totally out performs a T-maxx, and the plastics are about 215498665165 times strong. I've broken 1 a-arm, 1 front bumper and a body mount in 2 seasons worth of hard bashing. Trust me, it definitely doesn't have the weakness of a T-maxx. I made the mistake of buying one of those back in the day too.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

Savage Arms are exactly the same......also, the Savage does not have a tub chassi, it has a TVP (twin vertical plate) chassi...
Old 04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

Mike... to start with I am making no Judgment, I am asking a question
I am still trying to work out what is diferent from the T-Maxx other than Engine size
Second, A Couple of aluminium parts do not set a truck apart, let us be honest, a couple of buckes worth of hop ups and that can be overcome. As you have acknowledged, the Revo is fundamentaly diferent, and as Dyer pointed out, so is the Savage. Your Right about the TNX, but the diference is I don't see people stating Oh the TNX Craps all over the T-Maxx, but I see that with the MGT... So my question is still why?
Why is it it handles better when the design, and fundamentle weight distrabution is prety much the same.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just felt like this was a judgment
Originally posted by FALCON-LORD

It is the same fundamentle design as a T-Maxx.
Why does it handle better than the T-maxx? A few reasons

1.) The weight distribution isn't the same. The fact that it's just bigger in general aside, it's still almost an inch longer and wider than even the Savage. That keeps it ultra planted. People complain that the MGT can't do wheelies and they blame the engine for that. They're wrong. A stock MGT will out accelerate a Savage, but a Savage can do wheelies. It's because of the longer wheel base. Makes it harder to life the front end up, which keeps more weight over the front wheels, therefore aiding in steering.

2.) The way the bumpers/Bumper Braces mount to the truck aid the Shock Towers. They actually mounter under the outside holes and the back two mount to the aluminum "bulks" which helps in reducing the shock that goes to the towers. I've yet to break a tower, or hear any reports of towers breaking (the added rigidity also helps handling, btw).

3.) The shocks are longer and made better which helps in handling too. There's really not much the shocks can't soak up. The stock springs are a bit soft, but that's not unusual for any truck I've owned.

4.) Lower COG without sacrificing ground clearance. The T-maxx is a "3 peice" design which is inherently weak, but easier and cheaper to make. However, because it's weaker you need to have those chassis braces which sacrifice ground clearance. The Monster GT is a sold extruded aluminum chassis. If you manage to twist this chassis...well, than the truth is you deserve it. You've gotta be one of the worst drivers EVER in order to do that. Because of the strength, it does not need to have chassis braces which "raises" ground clearance without raising the COG. That helps a lot when it comes to landing jumps.

5.) You may also note how they use the weight of the radio components to counter balance the weight of the engine. This keeps the car "perfectly balanced" This is most noteable during jumps. Jumps like a buggy...pretty much perfectly level. My T-maxx always needed some kind of imput to keep it level.

6.) The bulks on the T are completely different. They're on the "inside" of the chassis, and are awkward shaped peices of plastic, that screw into the PLASTIC bumpers (the bottom part of it). If you break a bumper, you need to get a new one or the bulks can move. You can also easly break a bulk. You break a bulk...or a bumper you have to get a new one because than the Diffs can move. On the MGT, the diffs are screwed directly to the Chassis. The "bulks" just hold the a-arms. They're aluminum with bushing on the inside so that way you don't "pull" the aluminum out of round. You replace a cheap bushing instead of a more expensive aluminum part. And even still, I haven't had to replace a bushing yet.
In order to upgrade the T-maxx to the strength of the MGT, you'll need Aluminum F/R bumpers, Aluminum Bulks and Aluminum shock towers. That comes to about $100...if not more.

9.) The T-maxx transmission is pretty terrible. The plastic gears get chewed up pretty quickly when you add more power. Also, after a few gallons of use it tends to get notchy. On top of that, every gallon or so I had to re-adjust my shift poing because it tended to wander. The MGT tranny is pretty much bullet proof. The gears are a plastic/metal mix so you really can't strip them out. You can mount a .30 in there if you wanted without having to update anything, not even the drive shafts (MGT comes stock with drive shafts about 549845121 times stronger than the cheap plastic T-maxx ones). Also, it shifts rediculously smooth. Unless you're really listening, you can't hear it shift. The T-maxx had a tendancy to slam into it sometimes. The MGTs shift point won't ever wander either.

8.) The engine on the Monster GT is SOOOO much better than the TRX. Yeah, the TRX is a powerhouse when it runs. However, the engines are kinda on/off. Some of them are great, and some of them suck. If you get a bad one, good luck tuning it, it's pretty impossible. They also run really hot for a .15. The TT .21 is by far the most reliable engine I've ever run. Some of the OS engineers went to TT apparently, so that would explain that. You get the needles set, and you'll never have to touch them again. And a .21 pushing a 12 truck up to/over 30 MPH as fast as it does is quite impressive.

Also, the Savage, MGT, LST, Revo and TNX all share similarties with the T-maxx. Some more than others, but they ALL do. Still not sure how you think the MGT looks so much like the Maxx (other than the tranny case):
TheMGT looks so much more refined

Last edited by MikeWz; 04-18-2005 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Tech Adept

In my locale everyone with anything but a Savage goes home early...and broken
Old 04-18-2005, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

You guys should check this out and see what people have to say about the truck:

http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/s...59#post1742859
Old 04-19-2005, 01:23 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the Breakdown Mike.

so from what I gather the Bumbers tie streight to the body, and not through the bulkheads, is this correct?

I can see the length diference, und fully understand how that means more power can be applied to the ground without lifting the nose.

I take it basicly what it comes down to is yeah ata glance they are similar. but the Devil is in the Detail. and that is what sets them apart.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.