Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question on alum C hub and knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Default question on alum C hub and knuckles

looking into upgrading the C hubs and knuckles on my pede. is it worth upgrading to the alum ones? takes a nasty hit to break stock plastic ones but are fairly cheap to replace as well....are the alum ones worth it to upgrade and how much more abuse are they able to withstand? anyone switched up tp alum ones and what are your thoughts on them?
Old 12-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Tech Initiate

thoughts?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I've done aluminum and rpm. I'll buy rpm ones every time now.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Suspended

Hi..
I have run stock-rpm- aluminium ..I'll take aluminium any day..worth the extra bucks.nothing like driving down the street at 3 am and a coyote runs at ur truck hits the rear end making it cartwheel into a tree..wow i drove it away..I have blownup rpms on small jumps (2 feet tall) hitting one front wheel 1st..just my personal experience with them..
Old 12-18-2012, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Rpm knuckle with aluminum C-hub. I like the aluminum C-hubs for the rigidity over plastic which produces more accurate steering. I don't like aluminum rubbing on aluminum though and with both parts aluminum you'll be bending the Kingpin screw more.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hotrod87
I've done aluminum and rpm. I'll buy rpm ones every time now.
What didn't you like about the aluminum ones?
Originally Posted by Carpet Racer69
Hi..
I have run stock-rpm- aluminium ..I'll take aluminium any day..worth the extra bucks.nothing like driving down the street at 3 am and a coyote runs at ur truck hits the rear end making it cartwheel into a tree..wow i drove it away..I have blownup rpms on small jumps (2 feet tall) hitting one front wheel 1st..just my personal experience with them..
Damn that's a hell of an issue! Nothing like an animal chasing down ur shit lol.
Originally Posted by Overdriven
Rpm knuckle with aluminum C-hub. I like the aluminum C-hubs for the rigidity over plastic which produces more accurate steering. I don't like aluminum rubbing on aluminum though and with both parts aluminum you'll be bending the Kingpin screw more.
I have also been considering this as well.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Carpet Racer69
Hi..
I used to exercise my dog by letting him chase my rc cars... He rarely caught them hahah
Old 12-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~stretch~
looking into upgrading the C hubs and knuckles on my pede. is it worth upgrading to the alum ones? takes a nasty hit to break stock plastic ones but are fairly cheap to replace as well....are the alum ones worth it to upgrade and how much more abuse are they able to withstand? anyone switched up tp alum ones and what are your thoughts on them?
My thoughts:

Aluminum rounds out around the bearings after time creating slop. I never found the pins bending being a tight tolerance between joints.

RPM is softer plastic and can take a bigger hit then the stock plastic however, being it's more pliable and stronger, it likes to bend pins before it breaks (unlike the stock plastic) and pinch the bearings creating drag even with a washer.

IMO, I found that the stock plastic was the best for me when I owned one. Lighter, less money and it's got the right amount of tensile strength to either snap or break before damaging other parts.